Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why crospost

Why do people talking about toasters decide to crosspost to a legal group?
Its only barely DIY, I mean fixing them is normally not possible due to
modern ones being sealed.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote:

It wasn't long before Leavers introduced some fake news into the
discussion to say toasters were next.

Not so long ago toasters, kettles and hairdryers *were* on the list.

https://www.economist.com/news/europe/21709153-ecodesign-standards-make-fridges-better-and-cheaper-eu-edging-away-them-eu
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
pamela wrote:

It wasn't long before Leavers introduced some fake news into the
discussion to say toasters were next.

Not so long ago toasters, kettles and hairdryers *were* on the list.

https://www.economist.com/news/europe/21709153-ecodesign-standards-make-fridges-better-and-cheaper-eu-edging-away-them-eu

Is there something wrong with discussing where efficiency can be improved?

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Is there something wrong with discussing where efficiency can be improved?

No, but how can you improve the efficiency of a heating element in a
kettle or toaster?

Dyson was a big proponent of more efficient vacuum cleaners, I notice he
has a shockingly expensive "digital" hairdryer ready ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Is there something wrong with discussing where efficiency can be improved?

No, but how can you improve the efficiency of a heating element in a
kettle or toaster?

A kettle, unlikely. Possible on a toaster. Many run all elements when only
doing one slice - and so on.

Dyson was a big proponent of more efficient vacuum cleaners, I notice he
has a shockingly expensive "digital" hairdryer ready ...

Dyson threw his toys out of the pram when the EU settled on a limit for
vacuum cleaners *higher* than he wanted.

It really is fun here. Everyone just loved LEDs. Despite them probably not
producing as nice light quality as tungsten. But go on and on about bloody
vacuum cleaners and toasters. Even with only a proposed revue.

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2017 14:49, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Is there something wrong with discussing where efficiency can be
improved?

No, but how can you improve the efficiency of a heating element in a
kettle or toaster?

Why restrict it to the element?
Sounds like a lack of imagination to me.

My kettle is insulated so it keeps what's left warm for longer. It also
wastes less heat boiling the water.

Of course banning kettles in favour of things that just boil a measured
amount of water would be better as far as energy saving goes.

Dyson was a big proponent of more efficient vacuum cleaners, I notice he
has a shockingly expensive "digital" hairdryer ready ...

What else do you call a brushless motor when the marketing men get their
say?

Shower head - why, why, why? :-) gareth UK diy 7 May 22nd 15 09:51 PM
Why oh why? John UK diy 24 May 18th 13 03:07 PM
O/T: Why, Why, Why Gramp's shop[_2_] Woodworking 0 April 20th 13 08:54 PM
Why, oh why??? Brent Beal Woodworking 38 February 19th 06 08:16 PM
NYW Shop Clock..why oh why GeeDubb Woodworking 37 February 17th 06 12:45 AM