Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can one connect a shaver socket to a lighting circuit?

I'm going to install a shaver socket and I'm wondering if it's OK to
connect it direct to a lighting circuit.

The previous one I installed has an FCU from the ring main but it
would be much easier to use the (quite nearby) lighting circuit for
this new one. The lighting circuit does have an earth wire and is
standard 'looped in' so there's unswitched live and neutral easily
available.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

I'm going to install a shaver socket and I'm wondering if it's OK to
connect it direct to a lighting circuit.

More than OK, I'd say it was usual.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2017 16:34, Chris Green wrote:

I'm going to install a shaver socket and I'm wondering if it's OK to
connect it direct to a lighting circuit.

Yup, its commonly done. (especially on combined lighting / shaver socket
fittings!)

The previous one I installed has an FCU from the ring main but it
would be much easier to use the (quite nearby) lighting circuit for
this new one. The lighting circuit does have an earth wire and is
standard 'looped in' so there's unswitched live and neutral easily
available.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2017 16:51, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

I'm going to install a shaver socket and I'm wondering if it's OK to
connect it direct to a lighting circuit.

More than OK, I'd say it was usual.

+1

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 30/11/2017 16:34, Chris Green wrote:

I'm going to install a shaver socket and I'm wondering if it's OK to
connect it direct to a lighting circuit.

Yup, its commonly done. (especially on combined lighting / shaver socket
fittings!)

The previous one I installed has an FCU from the ring main but it
would be much easier to use the (quite nearby) lighting circuit for
this new one. The lighting circuit does have an earth wire and is
standard 'looped in' so there's unswitched live and neutral easily
available.

OK, thanks all, that's a 'yes' then!

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/17 16:51, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

I'm going to install a shaver socket and I'm wondering if it's OK to
connect it direct to a lighting circuit.

More than OK, I'd say it was usual.

Yes - it's standard practise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 30/11/2017 20:15, Chris Green wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 30/11/2017 16:34, Chris Green wrote:

I'm going to install a shaver socket and I'm wondering if it's OK to
connect it direct to a lighting circuit.

Yup, its commonly done. (especially on combined lighting / shaver socket
fittings!)

The previous one I installed has an FCU from the ring main but it
would be much easier to use the (quite nearby) lighting circuit for
this new one. The lighting circuit does have an earth wire and is
standard 'looped in' so there's unswitched live and neutral easily
available.

OK, thanks all, that's a 'yes' then!

Well with a bit of luck harry will be along with a "no" just to confirm
it is a "yes".

--
Adam

how do I connect a quick connect to a kohler faucet [email protected] Home Repair 12 June 12th 16 05:59 PM
200w security light - connect to lighting circuit. Hank UK diy 4 May 4th 07 08:56 AM
Left Handed Shaver Socket on Bathroom Lights Simon Pawson UK diy 3 February 23rd 05 06:00 PM
buzzing shaver socket mike UK diy 2 December 31st 04 02:54 PM
More power from shaver socket wanted Andrew Gabriel UK diy 8 August 10th 03 04:54 PM