DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can one connect a shaver socket to a lighting circuit? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/600999-can-one-connect-shaver-socket-lighting-circuit.html)

Chris Green November 30th 17 04:34 PM

Can one connect a shaver socket to a lighting circuit?

I'm going to install a shaver socket and I'm wondering if it's OK to
connect it direct to a lighting circuit.

The previous one I installed has an FCU from the ring main but it
would be much easier to use the (quite nearby) lighting circuit for
this new one. The lighting circuit does have an earth wire and is
standard 'looped in' so there's unswitched live and neutral easily
available.

--
Chris Green
·

Andy Burns[_13_] November 30th 17 04:51 PM

Chris Green wrote:

I'm going to install a shaver socket and I'm wondering if it's OK to
connect it direct to a lighting circuit.

More than OK, I'd say it was usual.

John Rumm November 30th 17 06:49 PM

On 30/11/2017 16:34, Chris Green wrote:

I'm going to install a shaver socket and I'm wondering if it's OK to
connect it direct to a lighting circuit.

Yup, its commonly done. (especially on combined lighting / shaver socket
fittings!)

The previous one I installed has an FCU from the ring main but it
would be much easier to use the (quite nearby) lighting circuit for
this new one. The lighting circuit does have an earth wire and is
standard 'looped in' so there's unswitched live and neutral easily
available.

--
Cheers,

John.

Chris Green November 30th 17 08:15 PM

John Rumm wrote:
On 30/11/2017 16:34, Chris Green wrote:

I'm going to install a shaver socket and I'm wondering if it's OK to
connect it direct to a lighting circuit.

Yup, its commonly done. (especially on combined lighting / shaver socket
fittings!)

The previous one I installed has an FCU from the ring main but it
would be much easier to use the (quite nearby) lighting circuit for
this new one. The lighting circuit does have an earth wire and is
standard 'looped in' so there's unswitched live and neutral easily
available.

OK, thanks all, that's a 'yes' then!

--
Chris Green
·

Tim Watts[_3_] December 1st 17 10:11 AM

On 30/11/17 16:51, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

I'm going to install a shaver socket and I'm wondering if it's OK to
connect it direct to a lighting circuit.

More than OK, I'd say it was usual.

Yes - it's standard practise.

ARW December 1st 17 08:29 PM

On 30/11/2017 20:15, Chris Green wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 30/11/2017 16:34, Chris Green wrote:

I'm going to install a shaver socket and I'm wondering if it's OK to
connect it direct to a lighting circuit.

Yup, its commonly done. (especially on combined lighting / shaver socket
fittings!)

The previous one I installed has an FCU from the ring main but it
would be much easier to use the (quite nearby) lighting circuit for
this new one. The lighting circuit does have an earth wire and is
standard 'looped in' so there's unswitched live and neutral easily
available.

OK, thanks all, that's a 'yes' then!

Well with a bit of luck harry will be along with a "no" just to confirm
it is a "yes".

--
Adam