Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV update my knowledge

I have a TV in the kitchen that is not receiving Freeview verey well. I am
in a poor reception area and I don't want to have a new aerial instalation
as I don't want to add any cables.
I have Virgin WiFi.
Should I be looking at things like Firestick as a way forward?
The TV is really mainly used by my wife for what I would call traditional
channels.
The TV has a HDMI and a USB socket.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn used his keyboard to write :
I have a TV in the kitchen that is not receiving Freeview verey well. I am
in a poor reception area and I don't want to have a new aerial instalation
as I don't want to add any cables.
I have Virgin WiFi.
Should I be looking at things like Firestick as a way forward?
The TV is really mainly used by my wife for what I would call traditional
channels.
The TV has a HDMI and a USB socket.

Describe your antenna system installation, do other TV's in the house
work OK on Freeview?

Firestick are great for catchup, providing they have a good strong wifi
signal - but not sure they even offer live TV.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote in
news
DerbyBorn used his keyboard to write :
I have a TV in the kitchen that is not receiving Freeview verey well.
I am in a poor reception area and I don't want to have a new aerial
instalation as I don't want to add any cables.
I have Virgin WiFi.
Should I be looking at things like Firestick as a way forward?
The TV is really mainly used by my wife for what I would call
traditional channels.
The TV has a HDMI and a USB socket.

Describe your antenna system installation, do other TV's in the house
work OK on Freeview?

Firestick are great for catchup, providing they have a good strong
wifi signal - but not sure they even offer live TV.

Aerial directed at Waltham. Aerial engineer recently checked signal stength
(did he say 57db?). We are in a hollow. Aerial is on pole on T& K brackets
on wall. Aerial fed a splitter - to main TV and to kitchen TV. Splitter
removed as main TV is usually using Virgin. That was also suffering.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2017 14:37, DerbyBorn wrote:

Aerial directed at Waltham. Aerial engineer recently checked signal stength
(did he say 57db?). We are in a hollow. Aerial is on pole on T& K brackets
on wall. Aerial fed a splitter - to main TV and to kitchen TV. Splitter
removed as main TV is usually using Virgin. That was also suffering.

57dBuV is actually a very strong signal. Did he measure it after a
masthead amp? Have you got a masthead amp?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote in
news
On 26/11/2017 14:37, DerbyBorn wrote:

Aerial directed at Waltham. Aerial engineer recently checked signal
stength (did he say 57db?). We are in a hollow. Aerial is on pole on
T& K brackets on wall. Aerial fed a splitter - to main TV and to
kitchen TV. Splitter removed as main TV is usually using Virgin. That
was also suffering.

57dBuV is actually a very strong signal. Did he measure it after a
masthead amp? Have you got a masthead amp?

Bill

No amp. The signal can seem reasonable (as seen on TV) and then it suddenly
drops and the picture breaks up

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn expressed precisely :
No amp. The signal can seem reasonable (as seen on TV) and then it suddenly
drops and the picture breaks up

Wet trees or similar blowing into the signal path?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 13:04:33 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

I have a TV in the kitchen that is not receiving Freeview verey well. I
am in a poor reception area and I don't want to have a new aerial
instalation as I don't want to add any cables.
I have Virgin WiFi.
Should I be looking at things like Firestick as a way forward?
The TV is really mainly used by my wife for what I would call
traditional channels.
The TV has a HDMI and a USB socket.

A more expensive option is to put op a satellite dish.

The dish is usually cheaper than the satellite decoder but the whole
shooting match can get round problems with terrestrial signals.

However you don't want any extra cables. Hmm...replace the aerial cable
with another co-ax?

Nope, not convincing myself, let alone you.

As already noted, your main problem will be watching live TV, although you
could look at the Virgin service which as far as I know lets you watch
live TV on a tablet or PC - which in turn may support an HDMI lead.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2017 18:34, DerbyBorn wrote:
Bill Wright wrote in
news
On 26/11/2017 14:37, DerbyBorn wrote:

Aerial directed at Waltham. Aerial engineer recently checked signal
stength (did he say 57db?). We are in a hollow. Aerial is on pole on
T& K brackets on wall. Aerial fed a splitter - to main TV and to
kitchen TV. Splitter removed as main TV is usually using Virgin. That
was also suffering.

57dBuV is actually a very strong signal. Did he measure it after a
masthead amp? Have you got a masthead amp?

Bill

No amp. The signal can seem reasonable (as seen on TV) and then it suddenly
drops and the picture breaks up

You are experiencing the Digital Cliff. A half decent aerial installer
should be able to fix that. If not, use Freesat.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well a lot of tv channels will be changing next year, so its hard to advise
now. I would suggest though that you get a second set amplifier to test to
see if you can get a reliable signal to both. Otherwise you might need to do
something radical like fint a freesat box and get a dish, and pipe that
around the house or get Virgins tv offering or maybe improve the freeview
aerial, but check the new channels after the next upheaval first.
Yes I know we only just did a retune in august but the government has
flogged another section of the Review band off to the telecom companies for
mobile data use and they have to cram the tv transmitters into an even
smaller bit of space than before.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
Harry Bloomfield wrote in
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
news
Well a lot of tv channels will be changing next year, so its hard to
advise now. I would suggest though that you get a second set amplifier
to test to see if you can get a reliable signal to both. Otherwise you
might need to do something radical like fint a freesat box and get a
dish, and pipe that around the house or get Virgins tv offering or
maybe improve the freeview aerial, but check the new channels after
the next upheaval first.
Yes I know we only just did a retune in august but the government has
flogged another section of the Review band off to the telecom
companies for mobile data use and they have to cram the tv
transmitters into an even smaller bit of space than before.
Brian

Interesting to hear about a shuffle of channels Brian.
I have Virgin box on my main TV which allowed me to abandon my splitter.
The TV with the problem is in the kitchen and I really don't want to run
any cables or have any new boxes on show. A Firestick looked feasable and I
am hoping a mate will come and give me a go with his. Hopefully me WiFi
will be good enough.