Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car dash-mounted SatNav knowledge sort - or at least knowledge of howto clean the controls.

Our office X-Trail has a dash mounted SatNav that is operated via a
small joystick. Left, right, up and down deflection of the joystick
moves a cursor in those directions. Selection of a letter or function
is done by pressing the joystick in - like a push button. All works
well except the vital push button which is becoming increasingly
erratic. I presume that there is some inadequate non-wiping switch on
the back of the push button - maybe an awful 'conductive rubber pad
across PCB pads' effort.

Short of stripping the dash - something that I'm unlikely to be
allowed to do nor will I will able to do illegally as the car resides
at the office - can anyone suggest a solution? Please!!!!

TIA

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJS" wrote in message
Our office X-Trail has a dash mounted SatNav that is operated via a
small joystick. Left, right, up and down deflection of the joystick
moves a cursor in those directions. Selection of a letter or function
is done by pressing the joystick in - like a push button. All works
well except the vital push button which is becoming increasingly
erratic. I presume that there is some inadequate non-wiping switch on
the back of the push button - maybe an awful 'conductive rubber pad
across PCB pads' effort.

Short of stripping the dash - something that I'm unlikely to be
allowed to do nor will I will able to do illegally as the car resides
at the office - can anyone suggest a solution? Please!!!!

TIA

Richard

Had similar problem with a universal tv controller. Probably has similar
'popper' buttons inside like the ones that always get flattened on key fob
switches. Very fiddly to get at in my experience, but I've managed it once
or twice in key fobs, so if you can get at the switch at all you might be
able to unflatten it if you are lucky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 20:13, "Spamlet" wrote:
"RJS" wrote in message

[...]

Ta

I was afraid that this would be the answer :-(

Share your Knowledge! [email protected] Woodworking 1 June 20th 07 12:55 PM
Siphon knowledge Richard UK diy 26 July 11th 06 07:19 PM
Knowledge to Burn Cliff Metalworking 10 April 4th 06 01:32 AM
Knowledge vs Wisdom charlie b Woodworking 3 February 27th 05 12:13 AM