Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Siphon knowledge

Anyone understand siphons and/or where to get non-return valves that
will tolerate petrol?

Situation: petrol tank for my bike is shaped like an inverted 'U'.
Very clever in that the fuel pump is in one side of the U and there is
no connection between the bottom of the two halves.

Solution: construct a self-priming and self-purging siphon that sucks
fuel from the isolated half of the tank into the pumped side. Such a
thing was made by an American chap according to a US bulletin board that
I came across. It seemed to be, basically 'Y' shaped with non-return
valves at the top ends of the valve and some sort of non-return
purge-valve in the tail of the Y. The whole thing goes upside down into
the tank with the purge valve at the highest point.

Unfortunately the designer dissapeared from the BB some years ago and
I've not had any success posting questions on the subject.

TIA

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 22:38:40 +0100, Richard wrote:

Anyone understand siphons and/or where to get non-return valves that
will tolerate petrol?

'e
http://www.lauche-maas.com/suche_seite2/52870ED51136a14126wyQk1E39B8/hst/staL/haupt/vollr%C3%BCttelpumpe/mr1/sr0/grp.html

It's a) in German, b) a stainless steel non-return valve, c) 19 Euro. The theory
is: You stick into on the end of a tube, dip the end with the valve in the tank,
shake it up and down to prime the siphon and get the siphon started.

Don't know it'll work for you, but it is an non-return valve that will tolerate
petrol...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

OK my motorcycle knowledge is somewhat dated, but every tank I've been
associated with 'hung' over the top frame rail, and had two outlet
taps which fed pipes that came together in a 'Y'. This way you always
had a 'reserve tank' when the level got down to the situation you are
describing.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
Anyone understand siphons and/or where to get non-return valves that
will tolerate petrol?

Situation: petrol tank for my bike is shaped like an inverted 'U'.
Very clever in that the fuel pump is in one side of the U and there is
no connection between the bottom of the two halves.

I assume that is sarcasm. Are you sure? Why would the designers be so
stupid as to fit a tank that can never be fully utilised?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in :

My bike taps inlet ends
used to be set up a bit from the bottom of the tank to help avoiding
crud entering. If the cutout for the to tube ends up being quite
shallow at the back end, then sloshing around plus the height of the
petrol tap feed may make all practicable use of the petrol.

I'm sure I had one at one time where the (one) tap had a main and
reserve setting, with the main coming from an upstand into the tank.

You certainly did - they were dead common.

The tap has two concentric inlets at two levels; when the higher inlet runs
out, you change the tap to "reserve", and it allows perol to enter the
lower inlet.

Al you had to do was remember which way to turn the tap when it happens
when you're halfway through overtaking a juggernaut

mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 22:38:40 +0100, Richard wrote:

Situation: petrol tank for my bike is shaped like an inverted 'U'.
Very clever in that the fuel pump is in one side of the U and there is
no connection between the bottom of the two halves.

Simply link both sides with a U pipe. No valves or taps needed. Provided
the pipe is big enough, then flow through this link pipe will drain both
sides equally, leaving you with a trivially small undrainable volume
that's merely the contents of the pipe.

But motorbikes generally tap both sides anyway, and have a changeover
tap. This gives you a reserve available only by switching over which is
the volume of one isolated side. Cleverly this reserve is also
"automatic" and you'll still have a reserve next time, even if you
forget to switch it back when you fill up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message

OK my motorcycle knowledge is somewhat dated, but every tank I've been
associated with 'hung' over the top frame rail, and had two outlet
taps which fed pipes that came together in a 'Y'. This way you always
had a 'reserve tank' when the level got down to the situation you are
describing.

AWEM

Yep, all my previous bikes with saddle tanks were thus equipped. Not so
the products from BMW or, at least, in the case of my R1150GS

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 22:38:40 +0100, Richard wrote:

Situation: petrol tank for my bike is shaped like an inverted 'U'.
Very clever in that the fuel pump is in one side of the U and there is
no connection between the bottom of the two halves.

Simply link both sides with a U pipe. No valves or taps needed. Provided
the pipe is big enough, then flow through this link pipe will drain both
sides equally, leaving you with a trivially small undrainable volume
that's merely the contents of the pipe.

I'll try it. But how will the fuel be drawn from the side without the
pump over the top of the inverted 'U' into the side from which the fuel
is pumped?

But motorbikes generally tap both sides anyway, and have a changeover
tap.

Not where there is an in-tank pump.

TA

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Richard contains these words:

Yep, all my previous bikes with saddle tanks were thus equipped. Not so
the products from BMW or, at least, in the case of my R1150GS

Sometimes the top tube slopes enough so that at the nuts end of the tank
there's no bridge for the fuel to cross. My DT125 and CX500 were like
that.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 22:21:43 +0100, Richard wrote:

I'll try it. But how will the fuel be drawn from the side without the
pump over the top of the inverted 'U' into the side from which the fuel
is pumped?

It won't - use a U pipe, not an inverted U.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote in :

None. Hence the siphon solution. The desparate out-of-petrol solution
is to lean the bike over towards the pump half.

I thought that was an excellent feature - when you were out of main and
reserve, there was a bit left you could find

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

So why doesn't every other BMV owner have the same problem ?

AIUI, like me, they simply mutter about poor tank range. I manage about
165 miles from £15 or 15.5L of fuel. The fuel gauge reads off the same
lobe as contains the pump. It's not an enourmous amount of fuel that is
trapped in the LHS, just enough to make it worthwhile building a siphon.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

It won't - use a U pipe, not an inverted U.

Sorry, don't follow that. How do I fit this into a tank shaped like an
inverted U?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:34:09 +0100, Richard wrote:

It won't - use a U pipe, not an inverted U.

Sorry, don't follow that. How do I fit this into a tank shaped like an
inverted U?

Fit it underneath. This is also where you have access to get to the pipe
fittings (unless you fancy working through the filler cap with
tweezers).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

Fit it underneath. This is also where you have access to get to the pipe
fittings (unless you fancy working through the filler cap with
tweezers).

Hi Andy

On the inner face of the right hand lobe is an *enourmous* access plate
for pump and in-tank fuel filter. Some day soon I must replace that
filter as 24,000 miles is fast approaching. I thought that I could
combine both jobs.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Richard
writes
raden wrote:

So why doesn't every other BMV owner have the same problem ?

AIUI, like me, they simply mutter about poor tank range. I manage
about 165 miles from £15 or 15.5L of fuel. The fuel gauge reads off the
same lobe as contains the pump. It's not an enourmous amount of fuel
that is trapped in the LHS, just enough to make it worthwhile building
a siphon.

I'd better check my Haynes BOL

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote in :

AIUI, like me, they simply mutter about poor tank range. I manage about
165 miles from £15 or 15.5L of fuel.

I'd stop muttering - I get 125 miles (remarkably consistently) from my Suzy
SV650.

The fuel gauge reads off the same
lobe as contains the pump.

Do you have a reserve? I get a warning at 12.5l used, I guesstimate 35
miles left, but I don't push me luck

mike