Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default Siphon knowledge

"Richard" wrote in message
Anyone understand siphons and/or where to get non-return valves that
will tolerate petrol?

Situation: petrol tank for my bike is shaped like an inverted 'U'.
Very clever in that the fuel pump is in one side of the U and there

is
no connection between the bottom of the two halves.

Solution: construct a self-priming and self-purging siphon that

sucks
fuel from the isolated half of the tank into the pumped side. Such

thing was made by an American chap according to a US bulletin board

that
I came across. It seemed to be, basically 'Y' shaped with non-return
valves at the top ends of the valve and some sort of non-return
purge-valve in the tail of the Y. The whole thing goes upside down

into
the tank with the purge valve at the highest point.

Unfortunately the designer dissapeared from the BB some years ago

and
I've not had any success posting questions on the subject.

TIA

Richard

OK my motorcycle knowledge is somewhat dated, but every tank I've been
associated with 'hung' over the top frame rail, and had two outlet
taps which fed pipes that came together in a 'Y'. This way you always
had a 'reserve tank' when the level got down to the situation you are
describing.

AWEM