Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Neighbour has dug up the alleyway between our houses

My neighbour has dug up the alleyway between our houses and says it is for a
water supply direct to his house - he had not approached me prior - not only
do I now have no access to the back but am concerned about the amount of
damage he is doing - this is illegal I am assuming - I believe the alley is
within my property but is used as easement - what can I do?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1252526-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bernard m wrote:

My neighbour has dug up the alleyway between our houses and says it is for
a water supply direct to his house - he had not approached me prior - not
only do I now have no access to the back but am concerned about the amount
of damage he is doing - this is illegal I am assuming - I believe the
alley is within my property but is used as easement - what can I do? --
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-alleyway-bet
ween-our-houses-1252526-.htm

That's a legal question rather than a d.i.y question. Unless you deal
with it yourself, which is not recommended. I recommend either a legal
newsgroup or the forum at

http://gardenlaw.co.uk

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25-Nov-17 3:14 PM, Bernard wrote:
My neighbour has dug up the alleyway between our houses and says it is
for a
water supply direct to his house - he had not approached me prior - not
only
do I now have no access to the back but am concerned about the amount of
damage he is doing

Is it your neighbour who has dug up the land or the water company? If
there are already water pipes running along it, the water company would
have a right of access to their pipes.

- this is illegal I am assuming

Not necessarily. However, if the excavation goes below the level of your
foundations, it would be covered by the Party Wall Act and you should
have received a notification under that Act.

- I believe the alley is
within my property but is used as easement - what can I do?

For a start, check the deeds, to see whether or not you are right. Then
check the conditions applied to any easement, as they may extend beyond
a simple right of passage.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have thought at the very least he should provide a method of access. I
notice when they dug a hole outside my house to fix a gas leak they had a
very sturdy piece of metal across the middle of the hole so I could get out
my gate!
Brian

--
----- -