Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

Hello. I am building a new home. Can someone give me the Pros and
Cons of an Artesian Well & Dug Well? Or if you know a website where I
can find that information that would be great.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, but I have already looked at that but I am actually looking for
a comparison of Surface/Shallow/Dug wells to an Artesian. Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

So the water isnt contaminated I would want a deep well.

surface water is too variable

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

not sure what you mean by artesian well. around here, it is a well
where the water comes to the surface naturally. only occurs on very
specific sites. also in minnesota, the health department regulates
wells. i believe shallow wells aren't even legal, since they draw on
shallow groundwater which can be contaminated. (i believe they have to
be at least 50' deep).

Posted to alt.home.repair
WM

On 16 May 2006 04:14:28 -0700, "marson" wrote:

not sure what you mean by artesian well. around here, it is a well
where the water comes to the surface naturally. only occurs on very
specific sites. also in minnesota, the health department regulates
wells. i believe shallow wells aren't even legal, since they draw on
shallow groundwater which can be contaminated. (i believe they have to
be at least 50' deep).

Same here.

Artesian wells flow freely without a pump. They are not necessarily
shallow though. The source could be several hundred feet underground
and comes to the surface due to fractures in the bedrock.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

marson wrote:
not sure what you mean by artesian well. around here, it is a well
where the water comes to the surface naturally. only occurs on very
specific sites. also in minnesota, the health department regulates
wells. i believe shallow wells aren't even legal, since they draw on
shallow groundwater which can be contaminated. (i believe they have to
be at least 50' deep).

In many areas, but not all, of the country, artesian wells are water
wells that have pressure behind them. A pump may or may not be
required, although one is usually installed to get the flow rate and
pressure high enough for typical household use.

For instance much of Southeast texas sits on an aquifer, an artesian
source. To tap into the aquifer, wells must be dug to a minimum of 250
ft, and to be safe, 300 feet
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi. Here in Newfoundland, Canada and Artesian well is drilled down at
usually around 200', a casing is put in the drilled hole and water is
pushed up through the ground using a pump in most cases.

marson wrote:
not sure what you mean by artesian well. around here, it is a well
where the water comes to the surface naturally. only occurs on very
specific sites. also in minnesota, the health department regulates
wells. i believe shallow wells aren't even legal, since they draw on
shallow groundwater which can be contaminated. (i believe they have to
be at least 50' deep).

Posted to alt.home.repair

drilled wells can be artesian wells if a well is drilled to a 300 ft
depth and the static water level is at 200 feet it is a artesian well
the water is pressurized enough to bring it up to 200 ft. a well that
has water running out the top is a flowing artesian just my 2 cents
scott

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

wrote in message
oups.com...
drilled wells can be artesian wells if a well is drilled to a 300 ft
depth and the static water level is at 200 feet it is a artesian well
the water is pressurized enough to bring it up to 200 ft. a well that
has water running out the top is a flowing artesian just my 2 cents
scott

A little history. Wife's grandfather (lived outside of Fedora, SD, not too
far from Artesian, SD) told me that they tapped into a flowing Artesian well
for the old homestead. Water came out of the ground on its' own, flowed
through the house, out to the barn, then into a cattle tank outside and then
overflowed onto the ground. He said the belief was that if you ever shut
the water off, it would divert to another outlet and then you wouldn't have
water anymore. Of course they were wrong and eventually they ran off enough
water to lower the pressure until the water quit running altogether. When
we used to visit while he was alive, they had a drilled well ( I think he
said 700' deep) that had the nastiest water you ever tasted. Smelled like
rotten eggs, tasted like rotten eggs, and gave you the scoots better than
ExLax. We brought bottled water but some cousins from Washington state
would bring KoolAid to add to the water so they could drink it. He used to
laugh because he said they never did figure out why they still got the
scoots. He was quite the gentleman...lived to 103 and to talk to him, you
would think you were talking to George Burns' twin brother.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Grumman-581, gimmeabreak wrote:
Rude...
don't bother "helping"

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ll-111237-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-5, gimmeabreak wrote:
replying to Grumman-581, gimmeabreak wrote:
Rude...
don't bother "helping"
--

You're too late. Karma got Grumman-581 8 years ago. He decided to get a drink from a water hose connected to an artesian well. He didn't know that the water pressure was extremely high and when he turned it on, water inflated and blew through his alimentary canal. His body exploded but amazingly, the gerbils survived and were found huddled together mourning his passing in a way only gerbils can. It was a real tragedy. (́_̀)

[8~{} Uncle Water Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 12:59:35 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-5, gimmeabreak wrote:
replying to Grumman-581, gimmeabreak wrote:
Rude...
don't bother "helping"
--

You're too late. Karma got Grumman-581 8 years ago. He decided to get a drink from a water hose connected to an artesian well. He didn't know that the water pressure was extremely high and when he turned it on, water inflated and blew through his alimentary canal. His body exploded but amazingly, the gerbils survived and were found huddled together mourning his passing in a way only gerbils can. It was a real tragedy. (??_??)

[8~{} Uncle Water Monster

I often wondered what happened to that guy.