DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Artesian Well vs. Dug Well (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/161620-artesian-well-vs-dug-well.html)

[email protected] May 16th 06 10:30 AM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

Hello. I am building a new home. Can someone give me the Pros and
Cons of an Artesian Well & Dug Well? Or if you know a website where I
can find that information that would be great.

Thanks

Grumman-581 May 16th 06 10:41 AM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

On 16 May 2006 02:30:37 -0700,
wrote:
Hello. I am building a new home. Can someone give me the Pros and
Cons of an Artesian Well & Dug Well? Or if you know a website where I
can find that information that would be great.

Google is your friend... Try it once in awhile...
http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/gwartesian.html

A "dug well" can also be an artesian well...

[email protected] May 16th 06 11:47 AM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

Thanks, but I have already looked at that but I am actually looking for
a comparison of Surface/Shallow/Dug wells to an Artesian. Any ideas?

[email protected] May 16th 06 11:52 AM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

So the water isnt contaminated I would want a deep well.

surface water is too variable

marson May 16th 06 12:14 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

not sure what you mean by artesian well. around here, it is a well
where the water comes to the surface naturally. only occurs on very
specific sites. also in minnesota, the health department regulates
wells. i believe shallow wells aren't even legal, since they draw on
shallow groundwater which can be contaminated. (i believe they have to
be at least 50' deep).

WM May 16th 06 12:34 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

On 16 May 2006 04:14:28 -0700, "marson" wrote:

not sure what you mean by artesian well. around here, it is a well
where the water comes to the surface naturally. only occurs on very
specific sites. also in minnesota, the health department regulates
wells. i believe shallow wells aren't even legal, since they draw on
shallow groundwater which can be contaminated. (i believe they have to
be at least 50' deep).

Same here.

Artesian wells flow freely without a pump. They are not necessarily
shallow though. The source could be several hundred feet underground
and comes to the surface due to fractures in the bedrock.

Robert Gammon May 16th 06 12:41 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

marson wrote:
not sure what you mean by artesian well. around here, it is a well
where the water comes to the surface naturally. only occurs on very
specific sites. also in minnesota, the health department regulates
wells. i believe shallow wells aren't even legal, since they draw on
shallow groundwater which can be contaminated. (i believe they have to
be at least 50' deep).

In many areas, but not all, of the country, artesian wells are water
wells that have pressure behind them. A pump may or may not be
required, although one is usually installed to get the flow rate and
pressure high enough for typical household use.

For instance much of Southeast texas sits on an aquifer, an artesian
source. To tap into the aquifer, wells must be dug to a minimum of 250
ft, and to be safe, 300 feet

[email protected] May 16th 06 12:42 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

Hi. Here in Newfoundland, Canada and Artesian well is drilled down at
usually around 200', a casing is put in the drilled hole and water is
pushed up through the ground using a pump in most cases.

Harry K May 16th 06 01:59 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

marson wrote:
not sure what you mean by artesian well. around here, it is a well
where the water comes to the surface naturally. only occurs on very
specific sites. also in minnesota, the health department regulates
wells. i believe shallow wells aren't even legal, since they draw on
shallow groundwater which can be contaminated. (i believe they have to
be at least 50' deep).

Marson's definition is the correct one. To be accurately called an
"artesian" the water must reach the surface on its own, no pump. What
you are referring to is a "drilled well".

Back to your original question. Shallow, dug wells are risky for two
reasons (both already mentioned.

Contamination
Unreliable flow unless you luck out and hit a very shallow aquifer.

The equipment needed for both wells is the same. Pump, pressure tank,
control equipment, pipe, wire. Of course the deep drilled well will
use more pipe and wire but that is the only difference (other than
cost)

Harry K

WM May 16th 06 03:13 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

marson wrote:
not sure what you mean by artesian well. around here, it is a well
where the water comes to the surface naturally. only occurs on very
specific sites. also in minnesota, the health department regulates
wells. i believe shallow wells aren't even legal, since they draw on
shallow groundwater which can be contaminated. (i believe they have to
be at least 50' deep).

That's a drilled well or non-artesian well.

Tony Hwang May 16th 06 03:58 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

wrote:

Hello. I am building a new home. Can someone give me the Pros and
Cons of an Artesian Well & Dug Well? Or if you know a website where I
can find that information that would be great.

Thanks

Hi,
Out at my cabin, I have a drilled well. Plenty of water all season, next
door neighbor has an artesian well plenty of water most of time. His
water is better quality than mine. Both work very well.

[email protected] May 16th 06 05:56 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

drilled wells can be artesian wells if a well is drilled to a 300 ft
depth and the static water level is at 200 feet it is a artesian well
the water is pressurized enough to bring it up to 200 ft. a well that
has water running out the top is a flowing artesian just my 2 cents
scott

Tom G May 16th 06 07:14 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

wrote in message
oups.com...
drilled wells can be artesian wells if a well is drilled to a 300 ft
depth and the static water level is at 200 feet it is a artesian well
the water is pressurized enough to bring it up to 200 ft. a well that
has water running out the top is a flowing artesian just my 2 cents
scott

A little history. Wife's grandfather (lived outside of Fedora, SD, not too
far from Artesian, SD) told me that they tapped into a flowing Artesian well
for the old homestead. Water came out of the ground on its' own, flowed
through the house, out to the barn, then into a cattle tank outside and then
overflowed onto the ground. He said the belief was that if you ever shut
the water off, it would divert to another outlet and then you wouldn't have
water anymore. Of course they were wrong and eventually they ran off enough
water to lower the pressure until the water quit running altogether. When
we used to visit while he was alive, they had a drilled well ( I think he
said 700' deep) that had the nastiest water you ever tasted. Smelled like
rotten eggs, tasted like rotten eggs, and gave you the scoots better than
ExLax. We brought bottled water but some cousins from Washington state
would bring KoolAid to add to the water so they could drink it. He used to
laugh because he said they never did figure out why they still got the
scoots. He was quite the gentleman...lived to 103 and to talk to him, you
would think you were talking to George Burns' twin brother.

Tom G.

Grumman-581 May 16th 06 08:07 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

On 16 May 2006 04:42:20 -0700,
wrote:
Hi. Here in Newfoundland, Canada and Artesian well is drilled down at
usually around 200', a casing is put in the drilled hole and water is
pushed up through the ground using a pump in most cases.

If it is pumped, it is not an artesian well... An artesian well can be
drilled or natural, but the key ingredient is that it must be under
enough natural pressure for the water to come to the surface on its
own...

Robert Gammon May 16th 06 08:45 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

Grumman-581 wrote:
On 16 May 2006 04:42:20 -0700,
wrote:

Hi. Here in Newfoundland, Canada and Artesian well is drilled down at
usually around 200', a casing is put in the drilled hole and water is
pushed up through the ground using a pump in most cases.

If it is pumped, it is not an artesian well... An artesian well can be
drilled or natural, but the key ingredient is that it must be under
enough natural pressure for the water to come to the surface on its
own...

Poor definition.

According to the US Geological Survey, any subsurface water that is
under pressure underground is artesian, even if the pressure is not
strong enough to cause the water to flow to the surface.

The artesian surface needs only to be moderately above the confining
rock layer in order to be classified as artesian. Wells in Brunswick
Georgia in the 1880s were so strongly artesian that they could supply
multistory buildings without pumping, however today, almost all of these
wells require pumping to get the water to the surface as there has been
so much depletion of the aquifer.

nothermark May 17th 06 12:06 AM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

On 16 May 2006 07:31:27 -0700,
wrote:

I was speaking to a well driller and he said that the water at 300'
could be just as good or just as bad as the water at 25'. He really
couldn't give me the "this is why you should go with a drilled well"
answer.

Thanks.

dug well - most of the contaminants are what you and your neighbor
dump on the ground.

drilled well - contaminant source expands to unknown distance and into
unknown past.

It is generally, but not always, the case that deeper drilled wells
get into older, less contaminated by man water. OTOH, they are more
likely to pick up mineral contamination because of the longer path to
where you tap it.

Robert Gammon May 17th 06 12:52 AM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

nothermark wrote:
On 16 May 2006 07:31:27 -0700,
wrote:

I was speaking to a well driller and he said that the water at 300'
could be just as good or just as bad as the water at 25'. He really
couldn't give me the "this is why you should go with a drilled well"
answer.

Thanks.

dug well - most of the contaminants are what you and your neighbor
dump on the ground.

drilled well - contaminant source expands to unknown distance and into
unknown past.

It is generally, but not always, the case that deeper drilled wells
get into older, less contaminated by man water. OTOH, they are more
likely to pick up mineral contamination because of the longer path to
where you tap it.

Deeper you go, yes the longer its has been there and the more likely it
has dissolved limestone and other minerals in it. Hard water, foul
tasting/smelling water are all possible. bacterial contamination
unlikely. Salt intrusion is possible in areas close to salt water.

CattleProd May 18th 06 05:32 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

On 16 May 2006 07:31:27 -0700,
wrote:

I was speaking to a well driller and he said that the water at 300'
could be just as good or just as bad as the water at 25'. He really
couldn't give me the "this is why you should go with a drilled well"
answer.

Thanks.

Of course you will get the water tested every year just to be safe,
no matter where it comes from.

Your state can do that very accurately and very reasonable in price.

Robert Gammon May 18th 06 06:04 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

CattleProd wrote:
On 16 May 2006 07:31:27 -0700,
wrote:

I was speaking to a well driller and he said that the water at 300'
could be just as good or just as bad as the water at 25'. He really
couldn't give me the "this is why you should go with a drilled well"
answer.

Thanks.

Of course you will get the water tested every year just to be safe,
no matter where it comes from.

Your state can do that very accurately and very reasonable in price.

Water at 300 feet is much less likely to be contaminated with bacteria
from animal waste products (including humans) than water at 25 feet.
Water at 300 feet is much less likely to be contaminated with
agricultural waste products (fertilizers) than water at 25 feet.

Iron, Sulfur, and Calcium Carbonate content are what the driller was
talking about. How does the water TASTE was the driller's concern.

gimmeabreak October 17th 16 06:44 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

replying to Grumman-581, gimmeabreak wrote:
Rude...
don't bother "helping"

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ll-111237-.htm

Uncle Monster[_2_] October 18th 16 08:59 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-5, gimmeabreak wrote:
replying to Grumman-581, gimmeabreak wrote:
Rude...
don't bother "helping"
--

You're too late. Karma got Grumman-581 8 years ago. He decided to get a drink from a water hose connected to an artesian well. He didn't know that the water pressure was extremely high and when he turned it on, water inflated and blew through his alimentary canal. His body exploded but amazingly, the gerbils survived and were found huddled together mourning his passing in a way only gerbils can. It was a real tragedy. (́_̀)

[8~{} Uncle Water Monster

Oren[_2_] October 18th 16 09:37 PM

Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 12:59:35 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-5, gimmeabreak wrote:
replying to Grumman-581, gimmeabreak wrote:
Rude...
don't bother "helping"
--

You're too late. Karma got Grumman-581 8 years ago. He decided to get a drink from a water hose connected to an artesian well. He didn't know that the water pressure was extremely high and when he turned it on, water inflated and blew through his alimentary canal. His body exploded but amazingly, the gerbils survived and were found huddled together mourning his passing in a way only gerbils can. It was a real tragedy. (??_??)

[8~{} Uncle Water Monster

I often wondered what happened to that guy.