Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Patchy ceiling - overboard, lining paper, or ???

Just started stripping the anaglypta paper from walls and ceiling in the
first room we're tackling. The stuff on the walls is coming off
reasonably OK but underneath is some painted 1930/1940s paper (very
thin) that is a bit of a pain, but it's coming off slowly. The problem
is (predictably) the ceiling - the plaster seems to be reasonably OK but
it's been painted and some of the paint is coming off with the paper,
leaving a patchy surface. I'd prefer not to have to overboard if
possible, but what are the alternatives? Thick lining paper, paint
stripper, sanding ... anything else?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends on the thickness of paint left adhering. At my last house stripping paper off the ceiling like you ended up with patches of bare plaster and patches of paint. I scraped as much of the flaking edges until all that remained was sound paint. Painting it with Matt emulsion to the casual eye it appeared a uniform surface, if you looked carefully then you could see slight edging through the paint but you had to look hard and after all who stares at ceilings.

In the lounge a portion of which was an old kitchen which as was common in the fifties had gloss painted walls when wall paper was removed some bad depressions emerged as paint came away with the paper. In that instance I turned to my favourite filler namely drywall filler applying it with a float and giving a final light sanding left a perfect finish owing to the fillers ability to feather in nicely.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 November 2017 01:08:49 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

Lighting can really fix such situations. Well diffused uplighting is good, lighting from a shallow angle bad.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2017 23:07, wrote:
Just started stripping the anaglypta paper from walls and ceiling in the
first room we're tackling. The stuff on the walls is coming off
reasonably OK but underneath is some painted 1930/1940s paper (very
thin) that is a bit of a pain, but it's coming off slowly. The problem
is (predictably) the ceiling - the plaster seems to be reasonably OK but
it's been painted and some of the paint is coming off with the paper,
leaving a patchy surface. I'd prefer not to have to overboard if
possible, but what are the alternatives? Thick lining paper, paint
stripper, sanding ... anything else?

Is the paint on the ceiling chalk like? If so it may be a soft distemper
paint. I had one room where all the walls and ceiling where painted in a
thick layer of this and it was a right PITA to remove with plenty of
water, a scrapper and a final coat of an outdoor brick/dust stabilising
solution to seal it.

I've had some success with normal THICK lining paper to hide minor
imperfections but it will not hide anything major.

I've had some success in a small area with Erfurt wall rock lining
http://www.erfurtmav.com/erfurt-mav-...ck-premium-200
Note that this is a heavier grade than available in many of the popular
sheds and I needed it to hide something that couldn't be classed as
minor surface imperfections.
With this product you can paste the wall or ceiling with makes putting
it up easier. (A pasted length of normal thick lining paper is heavy,
especially if you are trying to put it up over your head.

Possible OT, On many DIY and makeover type TV programs they always seem
to be stripping the wall paper dry and making very hard work of it.

I always use copious amounts of water when stripping wallpaper. First,
with vinyl wall-covering just peal off the top layer in one go, with
painted wood-chip or paper a quick light sanding of the surface
(electric sander with a coarse grit paper) or a run over with a pricking
tool. Secondly a light spray over with water with a bit of washing up
detergent using a garden sprayer. Thirdly leave for at least 10 minutes.
Depending on the porosity if the surface continually repeat stages 2 and
3. The longer you can leave the paper damp before stripping the better
BUT the water has to start penetrating below the paint, perhaps in just
little pin prick places to start with - hence using washing up detergent
to break the surface tension of the water. I also have steam plate for
the stubborn stuff but as I progress around a room I will continually
repeat stages 2 and 3 so the remaining surfaces still remain damp.

With some surfaces/papers it can still be hard work and it will leave a
wet soggy mess on the floor so best not to try this with the carpets
still in place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2017 01:08, Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

Thanks, you've given me hope ;-) Because of other distractions (not
least the other ceiling I've asked about) it's going to take us a while
to get the whole room stripped but I'll report back when I know how bad
the problem is (or, perhaps, isn't!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2017 08:02, alan_m wrote:
On 16/11/2017 23:07, wrote:
[...]

No, I think it was once gloss and probably nicotine-stained.

I've had some success with normal THICK lining paper to hide minor
imperfections but it will not hide anything major.

I've had some success in a small area with Erfurt wall rock lining
http://www.erfurtmav.com/erfurt-mav-...ck-premium-200
That looks like the answer - thanks!

Note that this is a heavier grade than available in many of the popular
sheds and I needed it to hide something that couldn't be classed as
minor surface imperfections.
With this product you can paste the wall or ceiling with makes putting
it up easier. (A pasted length of normal thick lining paper is heavy,
especially if you are trying to put it up over your head.

I've done plenty of wallpapering but never a ceiling - pasting the
ceiling sounds a lot easier than pasting the paper. I may do the prep
and then get someone in for the lining depending on whether I feel lucky
and how much my back aches.

Possible OT, On many DIY and makeover type TV programs they always seem
to be stripping the wall paper dry and making very hard work of it.

I always use copious amounts of water when stripping wallpaper. First,
with vinyl wall-covering just peal off the top layer in one go, with
painted wood-chip or paper a quick light sanding of the surface
(electric sander with a coarse grit paper) or a run over with a pricking
tool. Secondly a light spray over with water with a bit of washing up
detergent using a garden sprayer. Thirdly leave for at least 10 minutes.
Depending on the porosity if the surface continually repeat stages 2 and
3. The longer you can leave the paper damp before stripping the better
BUT the water has to start penetrating below the paint, perhaps in just
little pin prick places to start with - hence using washing up detergent
to break the surface tension of the water.Â* I also have steam plate for
the stubborn stuff but as I progress around a room I will continually
repeat stages 2 and 3 so the remaining surfaces still remain damp.

With some surfaces/papers it can still be hard work and it will leave a
wet soggy mess on the floor so best not to try this with the carpets
still in place.

I would normally use a mix of spray and steam but SWMBO is doing the
walls her way (slowly!) and tends to "resist instruction" ... I just
hope we're alive long enough for her to finish the room :-)