Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] mailbin@nomail.com is offline

Default Patchy ceiling - overboard, lining paper, or ???

On 17/11/2017 01:08, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Depends on the thickness of paint left adhering. At my last house stripping paper off the ceiling like you ended up with patches of bare plaster and patches of paint. I scraped as much of the flaking edges until all that remained was sound paint. Painting it with Matt emulsion to the casual eye it appeared a uniform surface, if you looked carefully then you could see slight edging through the paint but you had to look hard and after all who stares at ceilings.

In the lounge a portion of which was an old kitchen which as was common in the fifties had gloss painted walls when wall paper was removed some bad depressions emerged as paint came away with the paper. In that instance I turned to my favourite filler namely drywall filler applying it with a float and giving a final light sanding left a perfect finish owing to the fillers ability to feather in nicely.

Richard

Thanks, you've given me hope ;-) Because of other distractions (not
least the other ceiling I've asked about) it's going to take us a while
to get the whole room stripped but I'll report back when I know how bad
the problem is (or, perhaps, isn't!)