Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Patchy paint on ceiling

I've been having trouble trying to get a good paint finish on the
ceilings in our new extension. The ceilings are boarded and skimmed, I
left them to go bone dry and painted them with Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt
white emulsion using a good quality roller. The first coat was diluted
slightly. However, I've given it 5 (yes five) coats and the
"patchiness" is still clearly visible. It's not that you can see the
plaster beneath, you can just tell where the roller's been. I've treid
going crossways, lengthways, and in random directions. It's getting
worse each time!

Anyone got any tips?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Foam roller or shaggy? If foam get a shaggy one. If shaggy, dunno. Drying
too fast coz it's 'ot?

This is driving me nuts! Maybe I set my standards too high. It gets
worse with each subsequent coat (I've been using a medium pile high
quality roller).

I've now tried putting it on with a brush. I think it may be a bit
better (it's been cloudy for a couple of days so the light isn't so
good). However, the paint dries so quickly that it drags and tears,
leaving textured piles here and there. If I were to dilute the paint a
little, or even quite a lot, and slosh it on with a brush, would this
help or make matters worse?