Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adhesive over pipe

Hi

Can I use plasterboard adhesive over copper pipes to cover them with plasterboard (dot n dab) after boiler relocation?

cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

V Man explained :
Can I use plasterboard adhesive over copper pipes to cover them with
plasterboard (dot n dab) after boiler relocation?

Unlikely, the plaster will crack due to movement of the pipes -
expansion and contraction as they heat and cool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 10:12:45 AM UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
V Man explained :
Can I use plasterboard adhesive over copper pipes to cover them with
plasterboard (dot n dab) after boiler relocation?

Unlikely, the plaster will crack due to movement of the pipes -
expansion and contraction as they heat and cool.

hi

Thanks for advice but Im not sure which plaster will crack?
But if that the case what would be the best way to cover them pipes.

There is a block wall with dot and dabbed plasterboard. Plumber chased the plasterboard in to hide pipe in cavity between block and plasterboard.

Now I need to cover it and not sure what product to use
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 10:05, V Man wrote:
Hi

Can I use plasterboard adhesive over copper pipes to cover them with plasterboard (dot n dab) after boiler relocation?

Depends a bit on exactly where you are putting the adhesive. If its
mainly glueing plasterboard to the surrounding plaster etc, then it
should be fine. If you are gluing it just to the pipes themselves, then
chances are it will break free of the pipe due to the expansion of it.
Wrapping some insulation round the pipes before burial in plaster, or
placing them under capping will usually save any problems since it lets
them move a little even when covered up.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/17 10:43, V Man wrote:
On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 10:12:45 AM UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
V Man explained :
Can I use plasterboard adhesive over copper pipes to cover them with
plasterboard (dot n dab) after boiler relocation?

Unlikely, the plaster will crack due to movement of the pipes -
expansion and contraction as they heat and cool.

hi

Thanks for advice but Im not sure which plaster will crack?
But if that the case what would be the best way to cover them pipes.

There is a block wall with dot and dabbed plasterboard. Plumber chased the plasterboard in to hide pipe in cavity between block and plasterboard.

Now I need to cover it and not sure what product to use

build a free standing box clear of the pipes - uses 'sticks like ****',
batten and plasterboard. Fill inside with rockwool if the pipes are noisy

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 10:43, V Man wrote:
On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 10:12:45 AM UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
V Man explained :
Can I use plasterboard adhesive over copper pipes to cover them with
plasterboard (dot n dab) after boiler relocation?

Unlikely, the plaster will crack due to movement of the pipes -
expansion and contraction as they heat and cool.

hi

Thanks for advice but Im not sure which plaster will crack?
But if that the case what would be the best way to cover them pipes.

There is a block wall with dot and dabbed plasterboard. Plumber chased the plasterboard in to hide pipe in cavity between block and plasterboard.

Now I need to cover it and not sure what product to use

How much room is there between the front of the pipes and the back edge
of the plasterboard? And how thick is the plasterboard. Can you post a
picture and provide a link to the photo?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 11:10:38 AM UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 14/11/2017 10:43, V Man wrote:
[...]

is 10mm between pipe and plasterboard and plasterboard is 12mm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 11:34, V Man wrote:

How much room is there between the front of the pipes and the back edge
of the plasterboard? And how thick is the plasterboard. Can you post a
picture and provide a link to the photo?

is 10mm between pipe and plasterboard and plasterboard is 12mm.

Probably room to screw a batten behind the old plasterboard and to screw
a new piece of plasterboard into the void using the battens for fixing

Similar to
https://youtu.be/H9ezRSoZ8GE?t=228

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you for help guys, seems like battens is way to go.

However I came across PU Plasterboard adhesive foam like Everbouild pink grip or Soudal and accordiong to their Tech Support it can be used in this case.Wont affect the pipe and can stand temperature up to 80 C.

I just wonder if anyone have experience with this kind of product ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 10:43, V Man wrote:
[...]

ok that makes it easier... You may be able to do a patch supported by
battens:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...g_plasterboard

Or failing that, just pack some insulation material over the pipes and
then fill with bonding plaster to just below the finished surface. Let
that go off a bit, then fill flush with a light weight filler, or board
fill compound.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 14:12, V Man wrote:
Thank you for help guys, seems like battens is way to go.

However I came across PU Plasterboard adhesive foam like Everbouild pink grip or Soudal and accordiong to their Tech Support it can be used in this case.Wont affect the pipe and can stand temperature up to 80 C.

I just wonder if anyone have experience with this kind of product ?

No experience with the product but if you go down that route perhaps
temporarily screw some scrap pieces of wood to the front of the
plasterboard patch that overlap the width of the patch so that you
cannot push the patch in beyond the surface of the existing plasterboard.

While the foam is setting perhaps screw these scrap pieces of wood to
the existing wall so the patch doesn't move.

Consider also that a long run of pipe may/will move when constantly
cycling between cold and hot and maybe cause on medium to long term
mechanical failure of the bond.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 10:43, V Man wrote:
On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 10:12:45 AM UTC, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
V Man explained :
[...]

I made a natty pipe cover out of EPS glued with PVA and decorators caulk

Covered that with brown paper and wallpaper paste, and painted it

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft