Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Default PVA adhesive over screw heads

Novice has just painted the small bedroom and is having a new carpet put in.
Some of the floorboards are a bit springy and noisy. I was going to nail
them down, but was advised by neighbour to screw them instead, since he says
nails can work loose.

Can screws work loose also? Was thinking of smearing some PVA adhesive I
have over the heads. Is this the best thing to do? thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

"JWBH" wrote in message
Novice has just painted the small bedroom and is having a new carpet put
in. Some of the floorboards are a bit springy and noisy. I was going to
nail them down, but was advised by neighbour to screw them instead, since
he says nails can work loose.

Can screws work loose also? Was thinking of smearing some PVA adhesive I
have over the heads. Is this the best thing to do? thanks.

I have some floor boards over parts of the central heating system that are
screwed to allow access and they have never come loose despite being in an
area that gets a lot of use. The only thing to remember is to make sure
the wood is countersunk for the screw heads. They are also screwed into
the original nail holes which did the job of pilot holes.
--
Keith Willcocks

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On 5 Apr, 09:12, "JWBH" wrote:

I was going to nail
them down, but was advised by neighbour to screw them instead, since he says
nails can work loose.

Not bad advice.

If it's 100 years old and uses real floorboards, then you can nail
them down successfully so long as you use real floorboard cut nails
(just ask in any real builders' merchant). If you use typical wire or
oval nails, they'll work loose.

OTOH, screws work, screws work in modern flooring materials, and
screws are easily removable. If you might ever want to lift the board
to gain access for pipes, use them. Use modern parallel screws, such
as Screwfix's Goldscrews. Lubricate with candlewax if you want
(better ones are pre-done) but don't use soap or PVA as that's more
likely to cause rusting, jamming and snapping.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

When I decorated our master bedroom and before the new carpet went down, I
put in over 100 screws into the boards around the bed area to stop them
squeaking. They had been squeaking for around 10 tears. However, don't let
your wife work out to the aerobics videos in the bedroom!!! My floor boards
have started squeaking again and when I redecorate this year I am going to
have do them all again, plus a new carpet that has had the life stamped out
of it. Rosemary Connelly has a lot to answer for!

"JWBH" wrote in message
Novice has just painted the small bedroom and is having a new carpet put
in. Some of the floorboards are a bit springy and noisy. I was going to
nail them down, but was advised by neighbour to screw them instead, since
he says nails can work loose.

Can screws work loose also? Was thinking of smearing some PVA adhesive I
have over the heads. Is this the best thing to do? thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 5 Apr, 09:12, "JWBH" wrote:

I was going to nail
them down, but was advised by neighbour to screw them instead, since he
says
nails can work loose.

Not bad advice.

If it's 100 years old and uses real floorboards, then you can nail
them down successfully so long as you use real floorboard cut nails
(just ask in any real builders' merchant). If you use typical wire or
oval nails, they'll work loose.

Don't use nails!! You can loosen the ceiling underneath, and damage the
plaster rose (light fitting surround).

Sylvain.