Posted to rec.woodworking

Default PVA adhesive and non porous materials

I have just bought some PVA waterproof adhesive. It seems really good
stuff, but specifically says on the tin that it is not good for gluing two
'non-porous' materials together if they are likely to get very wet.
(although puzzlingly it says one 'non-porous' glued to one 'porous'
material will work alright).

Is there anything I could paint on to non porous materials (say plastic or
glass) that would bond the pva to that material to allow it to be made wet?
thanks for any advice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:42:43 GMT, "JWBH"
wrote:

Is there anything I could paint on to non porous materials (say plastic or
glass) that would bond the pva to that material to allow it to be made
wet?
thanks for any advice.

Glue is cheap. I think I'd just buy the right glue. With more
information, maybe I can help.
What are you trying to bond?

I want to make some ornamental japanese style garden lamps. using amongs
other things bits of plastic and glass glued together.

one problem is that i will use masses of glue (sorry its just my style) and
PVA is quite cheap and fairly quick drying which is why i like it. One
problem is that high performance glues can get a bit pricey and then that
would spoil my rather idiotic fun. thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "JWBH" wrote:

I want to make some ornamental japanese style garden lamps. using amongs
other things bits of plastic and glass glued together.

Epoxy would be ideal: it's absolutely waterproof, and bonds well to both
porous and non-porous surfaces.

one problem is that i will use masses of glue (sorry its just my style)

Sounds sloppy. Perhaps you should consider adopting a neater style. g
Seriously, though, if the parts you're joining fit together neatly and
tightly, you won't need to use so much glue to hold them together.

and
PVA is quite cheap and fairly quick drying which is why i like it.

Trouble is, it doesn't work well on non-porous surfaces, and it doesn't work
well for outdoor uses either.

One
problem is that high performance glues can get a bit pricey and then that
would spoil my rather idiotic fun. thanks.

I have more fun doing actual woodworking than playing with glue. YMMV...

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

JWBH wrote:

I have just bought some PVA waterproof adhesive.

No such critter. "Vaguely water resistant" is all you can hope for
from a PVA and that's optimistic for a garden lamp.

Is there anything I could paint on to non porous materials (say plastic or
glass) that would bond the pva to that material

No.

If you're making outdoor stuff, don't over-use glue and especially not
between different materials. Thermal contraction in the winter will
split it apart. Re-design it so that the plastic (windows?) are simply
located loosely in grooves. If you absoloutely must glue things, at
least use a decent epoxy (like West System) and even then you need to
protect it from UV by adding an opaque filler to it.

If you want robust "bodger's cement" for outdoor use, use hot-melt
glue. Not especially strong, but it is resistant to weather.

If you want strong outdoor glue, try a building cartridge glue (No More
Nails, Gripfill etc) but make sure it's a solvent-based one. This will
bodge stonework together pretty well, such as holding the tops on
Japanese interns.

If you're using one type of plastic for both sides, such as
polystyrene, PVC or acrylic, then you might be able to solvent weld it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

JWBH wrote:

I want to make some ornamental japanese style garden lamps. using amongs
other things bits of plastic and glass glued together.

one problem is that i will use masses of glue (sorry its just my style) and
PVA is quite cheap and fairly quick drying which is why i like it.

General use (household quality) epoxy can be fairly inexpensive,
especially if you seek out larger quantities. Some hot melt craft glues
might be even cheaper, not to mention very fast.

A completely unsuitable glue is never cheap. G If you care about
your product, there's a certain price you'll need to pay.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have just bought some PVA waterproof adhesive. It seems really good
stuff, but specifically says on the tin that it is not good for gluing two
'non-porous' materials together if they are likely to get very wet.
(although puzzlingly it says one 'non-porous' glued to one 'porous'
material will work alright).

Is there anything I could paint on to non porous materials (say plastic or
glass) that would bond the pva to that material to allow it to be made wet?
thanks for any advice.

Hmm, IRC PVA gets its strength from chemically reacting with products
like wood, etc. It is not going to chemically bond to glass or
plastic.

I have to suggest if you could paint something onto glass or plastic
that would make a strong glue bond to work with PVA, you'd probably
already achieve a strong enough bond with the stuff you painted on
that you wouldn't need another kind of glue. Epoxy would be an example
of what I mean.
Posted to rec.woodworking

JWBH wrote:
I have just bought some PVA waterproof adhesive. It seems really good
stuff, but specifically says on the tin that it is not good for gluing two
'non-porous' materials together if they are likely to get very wet.
(although puzzlingly it says one 'non-porous' glued to one 'porous'
material will work alright).

Is there anything I could paint on to non porous materials (say plastic or
glass) that would bond the pva to that material to allow it to be made wet?
thanks for any advice.

See:

http://www.thistothat.com/

--