Another Dave

Default Porous WC

I recently ( 10 months ago ) installed a new bathroom and everything's
been fine except that now some water is seeping from under the lavatory
bowl occasionally. Two questions:

Is it possible for pottery glaze to become porous? I seem to remember
dropping a screwdriver into it.

If so, short of replacing the whole thing, is there any way of repairing it?

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to webtribe in e-mail address
BigWallop

"Another Dave" wrote in message
I recently ( 10 months ago ) installed a new bathroom and everything's
been fine except that now some water is seeping from under the lavatory
bowl occasionally. Two questions:

Is it possible for pottery glaze to become porous? I seem to remember
dropping a screwdriver into it.

If so, short of replacing the whole thing, is there any way of repairing it?

Another Dave

The best way to tell if you have crack in the bottom of the bowl is to feel
around with a finger nail. Your finger tip may always pick up a hairline crack,
but a finger nail will feel it better when it sticks in it. Vitreous china is
used on these appliances because it can be so thin and un-glazed and still won't
become porous. A web search on the subject will give you more information on
it.

You may also have condensation running down from the bowl and the cistern on to
the floor. If the water in the loo is cold and you've just filled the room with
warm moist air, then you'll get condensed water on the outside of the china.
This has to drip off somewhere if not wiped off. I honestly think this is what
you're seeing, because you say it's only occasionally happening.

Alex

with the aid of a torch get down to ground level and check all conections
when flushed.it can be a small leak from the joints that is accumalting

The Natural Philosopher

BigWallop wrote:

[...]

Yes, or alternatively a leak in the flush system or waste pipe that only
shows up after a flush.

I had those (both types) and they are the devil to find.

Lee

Another Dave wrote:
I recently ( 10 months ago ) installed a new bathroom and everything's
been fine except that now some water is seeping from under the lavatory
bowl occasionally. Two questions:

Just drop one of those dye blocks in the cistern.
If something is leaking it'll leave a trail.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

The Natural Philosopher

Lee wrote:

Another Dave wrote:

I recently ( 10 months ago ) installed a new bathroom and everything's
been fine except that now some water is seeping from under the
lavatory bowl occasionally. Two questions:

Just drop one of those dye blocks in the cistern.
If something is leaking it'll leave a trail.

Lee

Now why did I not think of that?
Another Dave

Thanks all. I'm feeling more optimistic and determined now and I'll try
the various suggestions. Meanwhile it's not leaking again :-) or is it :-(

Another Dave.

--
Change nospam to webtribe in e-mail address
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Dave
I recently ( 10 months ago ) installed a new bathroom and everything's
been fine except that now some water is seeping from under the lavatory
bowl occasionally. Two questions:

Is it possible for pottery glaze to become porous? I seem to remember
dropping a screwdriver into it.

If so, short of replacing the whole thing, is there any way of repairing it?

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to webtribe in e-mail address
I have had to change a toilet for someone which they bought at b 'n q which did appear to be porous, certainly it needed changing, when I removed it I was able to prove so. B 'n q replaced it and payed my labour charge back to the customer.