Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiling over old adhesive

Finally got a new utility room. We've put most of the old kitchen in
there - units and worktops - together with a Belfast sink. I want to
tile it myself to cut down cost, but I've never tiled before (I was a
professional decorator for many years, so I'm familiar with the
importance of preparation).
I plan to use white 6" tiles. The area to be tiled was previously
tiled but the old tiles were ripped off. Can I tile over the old
adhesive? It may end up being a bit uneven, but I don't care much -
the only real consideration is providing a splashback.

Thanks

Edward

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 27, 10:21 am, wrote:
Finally got a new utility room. We've put most of the old kitchen in
there - units and worktops - together with a Belfast sink. I want to
tile it myself to cut down cost, but I've never tiled before (I was a
professional decorator for many years, so I'm familiar with the
importance of preparation).
I plan to use white 6" tiles. The area to be tiled was previously
tiled but the old tiles were ripped off. Can I tile over the old
adhesive? It may end up being a bit uneven, but I don't care much -
the only real consideration is providing a splashback.

Thanks

Edward

just a little tip. Use a wallpaper stripper on the old tile adhesive.
More often than not it just softens and can be sraped off with no
effort. it has worked for me many times. Good luck

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Sep, 21:13, wrote:
On Sep 27, 10:21 am, wrote:

Finally got a new utility room. We've put most of the old kitchen in
there - units and worktops - together with a Belfast sink. I want to
tile it myself to cut down cost, but I've never tiled before (I was a
professional decorator for many years, so I'm familiar with the
importance of preparation).
I plan to use white 6" tiles. The area to be tiled was previously
tiled but the old tiles were ripped off. Can I tile over the old
adhesive? It may end up being a bit uneven, but I don't care much -
the only real consideration is providing a splashback.

Thanks

Edward

just a little tip. Use a wallpaper stripper on the old tile adhesive.
More often than not it just softens and can be sraped off with no
effort. it has worked for me many times. Good luck

Cool! I'll see if I can find my old stripper, though I'd be surprised
if the boiler wasn't shot.

Edward