Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Unreported nuclear accident in Russia?

http://www.irsn.fr/EN/newsroom/News/...tigations.aspx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like a bit of a non event to me. They did not say what this isotope
is normally used for so what might have released it is hard to suggest. It
does of course show how sensitive our measuring devices now are.
I do know for example that in the Channel Islands they have large
monitoring systems since the French have a large reactor in close proximity
to them, and they have always bee afraid that if an accident did happen
there, they would be first in line to find out about it.
Incidentally that page is strange as although its in English on a French
web site my screenreader switches in to French for bits of the english text
which meant I had to switch off language switching to hear it. Sounds like a
coding error.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"harry" wrote in message
http://www.irsn.fr/EN/newsroom/News/...tigations.aspx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11-Nov-17 8:19 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Sounds like a bit of a non event to me. They did not say what this isotope
is normally used for so what might have released it is hard to suggest...

It is commonly used for medical purposes. It may also be released during
nuclear fuel reprocessing. It is not absorbed by the body and is a beta
emitter, so you would need to ingest it for it to have any effect. Harry
should be a lot more worried about eating a banana.

Colin Bignell

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 November 2017 09:14:45 UTC, Nightjar wrote:
On 11-Nov-17 8:19 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Sounds like a bit of a non event to me. They did not say what this isotope
is normally used for so what might have released it is hard to suggest...

It is commonly used for medical purposes. It may also be released during
nuclear fuel reprocessing. It is not absorbed by the body and is a beta
emitter, so you would need to ingest it for it to have any effect. Harry
should be a lot more worried about eating a banana.

Colin Bignell

Colin Bignell

It's presence indicates an unreported nuclear incident.
So, what else is there?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 November 2017 09:14:45 UTC, Nightjar wrote:
On 11-Nov-17 8:19 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Sounds like a bit of a non event to me. They did not say what this isotope
is normally used for so what might have released it is hard to suggest...

It is commonly used for medical purposes. It may also be released during
nuclear fuel reprocessing. It is not absorbed by the body and is a beta
emitter, so you would need to ingest it for it to have any effect. Harry
should be a lot more worried about eating a banana.

Colin Bignell

Colin Bignell

More info here.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...t-farther-east

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Saturday, 11 November 2017 09:14:45 UTC, Nightjar wrote:
On 11-Nov-17 8:19 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Sounds like a bit of a non event to me. They did not say what this
isotope
is normally used for so what might have released it is hard to
suggest...

It is commonly used for medical purposes. It may also be released during
nuclear fuel reprocessing. It is not absorbed by the body and is a beta
emitter, so you would need to ingest it for it to have any effect. Harry
should be a lot more worried about eating a banana.

It's presence indicates an unreported nuclear incident.

Not necessarily.

So, what else is there?

Fairys at the bottom of the garden.

Best for you to hide under the bed, again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/11/2017 09:35, harry wrote:

It's presence indicates an unreported nuclear incident.
So, what else is there?

Ruthenium-106 is used for medical purposes. So, it could just be due to
a fire at a hospital.

Or some scrap metal dealer acquired some old medical equipment. There's
this small lump of soft stuff in the middle. He doesn't know what to do
with it, so he sticks it on the bonfire.

A nuclear incident is just one of many possible causes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2017 10:17, GB wrote:
On 11/11/2017 09:35, harry wrote:

It's presence indicates an unreported nuclear incident.
So, what else is there?

Ruthenium-106 is used for medical purposes. So, it could just be due to
a fire at a hospital.

Or some scrap metal dealer acquired some old medical equipment. There's
this small lump of soft stuff in the middle. He doesn't know what to do
with it, so he sticks it on the bonfire.

A nuclear incident is just one of many possible causes.

Well, it is still a nuclear incident. If it came from an official
facility, it is hard to believe they were unaware of it, and therefore
somewhat depressing that it was not reported to the IAEA.

There have been a couple of serious accidents caused by dismantling of
gamma sources from obsolete medical equipment which had become "lost"
from the administrative system. Ru 106 however has a relatively short
half-life and is used in a completely different way. So it is more
difficult to believe that this is a release from a scrap-yard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11-Nov-17 9:35 AM, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 11 November 2017 09:14:45 UTC, Nightjar wrote:
On 11-Nov-17 8:19 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Sounds like a bit of a non event to me. They did not say what this isotope
is normally used for so what might have released it is hard to suggest...

It is commonly used for medical purposes. It may also be released during
nuclear fuel reprocessing. It is not absorbed by the body and is a beta
emitter, so you would need to ingest it for it to have any effect. Harry
should be a lot more worried about eating a banana.

Colin Bignell

Colin Bignell

It's presence indicates an unreported nuclear incident.
So, what else is there?

The important question; which is, is it significant?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/11/2017 11:44, newshound wrote:
On 11/11/2017 10:17, GB wrote:
[...]

Agreed. It depends what you mean by nuclear incident. I don't think
there's been another Chernobyl that's been covered up. That's the main
point I was making. Aside from that, there are lots of possibilities.

It's a beta source, and apparently used for treating eye cancer. (Not
something that I knew. That's what google says.) So, it might have come
from dismantling some old medical equipment.

The equipment might have been stolen from some cellar in a hospital. So,
it's still showing on the hospital records as part of their old stock.

That's just one possibility.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11-Nov-17 12:22 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 12:10:16 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

On 11-Nov-17 9:35 AM, harry wrote:

It's presence indicates an unreported nuclear incident.
So, what else is there?

The important question; which is, is it significant?

No, it isn't...

I know that. You know that. Harry appears not to.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11-Nov-17 9:35 AM, harry wrote:

It's presence indicates an unreported nuclear incident.
So, what else is there?

The important question; which is, is it significant?

No, it isn't...

I know that. You know that. Harry appears not to.

Haryy has to justify ripping off te poor for his solar panels.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2017 19:04, Brian Gaff wrote:
Some Russian Piky pinched some lead containers and opened them?
Brian

Beta source. Only needs wrapping in aluminium foil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11-Nov-17 9:35 AM, harry wrote:

It's presence indicates an unreported nuclear incident.
So, what else is there?

The important question; which is, is it significant?

No, it isn't...

I know that. You know that. Harry appears not to.

Assuming the calculations are correct, the local consequences might have
been. And it is quite unsettling if it was a facility incident which has
not been reported. One of the very impressive things about Gorbachev was
the complete openness once the news of Chernobyl reached Moscow.

A release of airborne radioactivity is really something that you can't
cover up. In the west, the reporting and handling of the media since
Three Mile Island has been very good, even if the Japanese made a pigs
ear of it after Fukushima.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11-Nov-17 9:35 AM, harry wrote:

It's presence indicates an unreported nuclear incident.
So, what else is there?

The important question; which is, is it significant?

No, it isn't...

I know that. You know that. Harry appears not to.

Assuming the calculations are correct, the local consequences might have
been. And it is quite unsettling if it was a facility incident which has
not been reported. One of the very impressive things about Gorbachev was
the complete openness once the news of Chernobyl reached Moscow.

A release of airborne radioactivity is really something that you can't
cover up.

Of course you can.

If I had e.g. walked out of hspital the day I drank a radioisotope and
instead of peeong into the special wotsit providied peed in the
countryside, there would have been a 'radioactive release' flagged
somwehere.

It's amazing what you can do with smoke alarms as well.

The monitoring equipent is way over sensitive.

It's all just faux news. But eco****s provide more advertising dollars
than nuclear power stations, so it fits with the 'scary nookoolar'
narrative.

In the west, the reporting and handling of the media since
Three Mile Island has been very good, even if the Japanese made a pigs
ear of it after Fukushima.

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2017 08:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
Sounds like a bit of a non event to me. They did not say what this isotope
is normally used for so what might have released it is hard to suggest. It
does of course show how sensitive our measuring devices now are.
I do know for example that in the Channel Islands they have large
monitoring systems since the French have a large reactor in close proximity
to them, and they have always bee afraid that if an accident did happen
there, they would be first in line to find out about it.
Incidentally that page is strange as although its in English on a French
web site my screenreader switches in to French for bits of the english text
which meant I had to switch off language switching to hear it. Sounds like a
coding error.
Brian

I was in Kyrgyzstan just south of the suspected area at the time of the
release. Should I be concerned?

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2017 11:33, Muddymike wrote:
On 11/11/2017 08:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
Sounds like a bit of a non event to me. They did not say what this
isotope
is normally used for so what might have released it is hard to
suggest. It
does of course show how sensitive our measuring devices now are.
Â* I do know for example that in the Channel Islands they have large
monitoring systems sinceÂ* the French have a large reactor in close
proximity
to them, and they have always bee afraid that if an accident did happen
there, they would be first in line to find out about it.
Â* Incidentally that page is strange as although its in English on a
French
web site my screenreader switches in to French for bits of the english
text
which meant I had to switch off language switching to hear it. Sounds
like a
coding error.
Brian

I was in Kyrgyzstan just south of the suspected area at the time of the
release. Should I be concerned?

Mike

ALmost certainly not.

If you had picked up an immediately life-threatening dose you would have
other symptoms (vomiting, hair loss, etc). You might also have set off
radiation detectors on entering the country.

I'm not sure whether Ru106 emits a strong gamma as well as a beta
particle. If it does, it should be easy to detect with an "ordinary"
geiger counter, but some beta sources (like Sulphur 35) can only be
detected by more sensitive instruments.

I don't know exactly how it is used in cancer treatment, but it's
probably used in a solution, and is probably not permanently retained in
the body (which would be good, if you had been contaminated).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was given an iv dose of technecium prior to a bone scan then sent out for a couple of hours before returning for the actual scan. I was told not to sit next to babies or small children for more than a couple of minutes until 24 hours had elapsed. Maybe I could have tripped a radiation detector?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2017 14:35, Cynic wrote:
I was given an iv dose of technecium prior to a bone scan then sent out for a couple of hours before returning for the actual scan. I was told not to sit next to babies or small children for more than a couple of minutes until 24 hours had elapsed. Maybe I could have tripped a radiation detector?

Sounds like *very* cautious advice to me about babies and small
children. If anything, pregnant women are more at risk.

I don't have a feel for the sensitivity of security detectors these
days, and would not say anyway, even if I did.

The "exit" detectors on contamination zones in nuclear power stations
are certainly sensitive enough to pick up something like a WW2 prismatic
compass (which has radium in the luminous paint).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cynic wrote

I was given an iv dose of technecium prior to a bone scan
then sent out for a couple of hours before returning for the
actual scan. I was told not to sit next to babies or small
children for more than a couple of minutes until 24 hours had
elapsed. Maybe I could have tripped a radiation detector?

Yeah, there was one of those on one of those reality TV
series, tripped the meter going thru customs in the US.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Yep, you should top yourself now.