Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT fiction involving oxford or cambridge dons

Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but they don't get listed in his
bibliographys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/17 23:21, Rod Speed wrote:
Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but they don't get listed in his
bibliographys.

The closest Lewis I can think of is "That Hideous Strength" which is set
in a fictional university.

Tom Sharpe wrote a comic novel "Porterhouse Blue" about Cambridge
There's an Inspector Morse novel by Colin Dexter "The Silent World of
Nicholas Quinn" which involves academics committing murder. Malcolm
Bradbury and David Lodge have each written comic novels about university
life but not AFAIK Oxbridge.

Is that any help?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Nov 2017 10:47:08 +0000, Nick Odell wrote:

On 05/11/17 23:21, Rod Speed wrote:
Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but they don't get listed in his
bibliographys.

The closest Lewis I can think of is "That Hideous Strength" which is set
in a fictional university.

Tom Sharpe wrote a comic novel "Porterhouse Blue" about Cambridge
There's an Inspector Morse novel by Colin Dexter "The Silent World of
Nicholas Quinn" which involves academics committing murder. Malcolm
Bradbury and David Lodge have each written comic novels about university
life but not AFAIK Oxbridge.

The best ones I can remember are the components of the Oxford Trilogy by
John Wain. Pre-, during and post-war:

http://johnwain.com/wordpress/?page_id=58

He was an Oxford don.

Very different from my own 40 years in a non-Oxbridge place...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but
they don't get listed in his bibliographys.

The closest Lewis I can think of is "That Hideous
Strength" which is set in a fictional university.

There was more than one tho.

Tom Sharpe wrote a comic novel "Porterhouse Blue" about Cambridge
There's an Inspector Morse novel by Colin Dexter "The Silent World of
Nicholas Quinn" which involves academics committing murder. Malcolm
Bradbury and David Lodge have each written comic novels about university
life but not AFAIK Oxbridge.

Is that any help?

Fraid not, I did find those with a google for oxbridge fiction dons
but they arent the ones I want. Should have said that, sorry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

Nick Odell wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but
they don't get listed in his bibliographys.

The closest Lewis I can think of is "That Hideous
Strength" which is set in a fictional university.

There was more than one tho.

Tom Sharpe wrote a comic novel "Porterhouse Blue" about Cambridge
There's an Inspector Morse novel by Colin Dexter "The Silent World of
Nicholas Quinn" which involves academics committing murder. Malcolm
Bradbury and David Lodge have each written comic novels about university
life but not AFAIK Oxbridge.

Is that any help?

Fraid not, I did find those with a google for oxbridge fiction dons
but they arent the ones I want. Should have said that, sorry.

I think CP Snow did that sort of stuff, but it was a very long time ago
I read it so I don't remember much detail. "Two cultures" etc.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but they don't get listed in his bibliographys.

C.P.Snow "Strangers and Brothers" series ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2017 12:13, Roger Hayter wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

Nick Odell wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but
they don't get listed in his bibliographys.

The closest Lewis I can think of is "That Hideous
Strength" which is set in a fictional university.

There was more than one tho.

Tom Sharpe wrote a comic novel "Porterhouse Blue" about Cambridge
There's an Inspector Morse novel by Colin Dexter "The Silent World of
Nicholas Quinn" which involves academics committing murder. Malcolm
Bradbury and David Lodge have each written comic novels about university
life but not AFAIK Oxbridge.

Is that any help?

Fraid not, I did find those with a google for oxbridge fiction dons
but they arent the ones I want. Should have said that, sorry.

I think CP Snow did that sort of stuff, but it was a very long time ago
I read it so I don't remember much detail. "Two cultures" etc.

I was going to say C P Snow too. I thought the writing was pretty poor
given the circles he moved in. Think Dan Brown meets Jeffrey Archer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Nov 2017 11:02:13 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 06 Nov 2017 10:47:08 +0000, Nick Odell wrote:

On 05/11/17 23:21, Rod Speed wrote:
Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but they don't get listed in his
bibliographys.

The closest Lewis I can think of is "That Hideous Strength" which is
set in a fictional university.

Tom Sharpe wrote a comic novel "Porterhouse Blue" about Cambridge
There's an Inspector Morse novel by Colin Dexter "The Silent World of
Nicholas Quinn" which involves academics committing murder. Malcolm
Bradbury and David Lodge have each written comic novels about
university life but not AFAIK Oxbridge.

The best ones I can remember are the components of the Oxford Trilogy by
John Wain. Pre-, during and post-war:

http://johnwain.com/wordpress/?page_id=58

He was an Oxford don.

Very different from my own 40 years in a non-Oxbridge place...

Another...set in my PPoE although it doesn't actually say so...

"The End of Mr Y" by Scarlett Thomas. Had dinner with her a couple of
times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/17 10:47, Nick Odell wrote:
On 05/11/17 23:21, Rod Speed wrote:
Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but they don't get listed in his
bibliographys.

The closest Lewis I can think of is "That Hideous Strength" which is set
in a fictional university.

Tom Sharpe wrote a comic novel "Porterhouse Blue" about Cambridge
There's an Inspector Morse novel by Colin Dexter "The Silent World of
Nicholas Quinn" which involves academics committing murder. Malcolm
Bradbury and David Lodge have each written comic novels about university
life but not AFAIK Oxbridge.

Is that any help?

Nick

'Gaudy Night' by Dorothy L Sayers.
One of her best.

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2017 12:13, Roger Hayter wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

Nick Odell wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but
they don't get listed in his bibliographys.

The closest Lewis I can think of is "That Hideous
Strength" which is set in a fictional university.

There was more than one tho.

Tom Sharpe wrote a comic novel "Porterhouse Blue" about Cambridge
There's an Inspector Morse novel by Colin Dexter "The Silent World of
Nicholas Quinn" which involves academics committing murder. Malcolm
Bradbury and David Lodge have each written comic novels about university
life but not AFAIK Oxbridge.

Is that any help?

Fraid not, I did find those with a google for oxbridge fiction dons
but they arent the ones I want. Should have said that, sorry.

I think CP Snow did that sort of stuff, but it was a very long time ago
I read it so I don't remember much detail. "Two cultures" etc.

You may have in mind his Strangers and Brothers series.

But for pity's sake, "fiction involving Oxford or Cambridge dons" is
absurdly vague. Not even a clue about genre?

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin posted
I think CP Snow did that sort of stuff, but it was a very long time
ago
I read it so I don't remember much detail. "Two cultures" etc.

You may have in mind his Strangers and Brothers series.

"The Masters" was about a struggle for power in a Cambridge college. One
of the best in the series.

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 November 2017 13:33:59 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

'Gaudy Night' by Dorothy L Sayers.
One of her best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gervase_Fen

Good fun...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Nov 2017 07:37:40 -0800, mark.bluemel wrote:

On Monday, 6 November 2017 13:33:59 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

'Gaudy Night' by Dorothy L Sayers.
One of her best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gervase_Fen

Good fun...

Oh, I'd forgotten about him. And I have all the books. Priceless (if
obscure( references: "There goes CS Lewis - it must be Tuesday" (or
whatever).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/17 16:13, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 06/11/17 10:47, Nick Odell wrote:
On 05/11/17 23:21, Rod Speed wrote:
Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but they don't get listed in his
bibliographys.

The closest Lewis I can think of is "That Hideous Strength" which is
set in a fictional university.

Tom Sharpe wrote a comic novel "Porterhouse Blue" about Cambridge
There's an Inspector Morse novel by Colin Dexter "The Silent World of
Nicholas Quinn" which involves academics committing murder. Malcolm
Bradbury and David Lodge have each written comic novels about
university life but not AFAIK Oxbridge.

Is that any help?

Nick

'Gaudy Night' by Dorothy L Sayers.
One of her best.

I think the Nine Tailors was a lot better.

Yes. I liked that immensely.

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/11/17 10:47, Nick Odell wrote:
On 05/11/17 23:21, Rod Speed wrote:
Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but they don't get listed in his
bibliographys.

The closest Lewis I can think of is "That Hideous Strength" which is
set in a fictional university.

Tom Sharpe wrote a comic novel "Porterhouse Blue" about Cambridge
There's an Inspector Morse novel by Colin Dexter "The Silent World of
Nicholas Quinn" which involves academics committing murder. Malcolm
Bradbury and David Lodge have each written comic novels about
university life but not AFAIK Oxbridge.

Is that any help?

Nick

'Gaudy Night' by Dorothy L Sayers.
One of her best.

I think the Nine Tailors was a lot better.

I think The Nine Tailors is a cracking book - but it doesn't involve
Oxbridge Dons

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

Nick Odell wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but
they don't get listed in his bibliographys.

The closest Lewis I can think of is "That Hideous
Strength" which is set in a fictional university.

There was more than one tho.

Tom Sharpe wrote a comic novel "Porterhouse Blue" about Cambridge
There's an Inspector Morse novel by Colin Dexter "The Silent World of
Nicholas Quinn" which involves academics committing murder. Malcolm
Bradbury and David Lodge have each written comic novels about
university
life but not AFAIK Oxbridge.

Is that any help?

Fraid not, I did find those with a google for oxbridge fiction dons
but they arent the ones I want. Should have said that, sorry.

I think CP Snow did that sort of stuff,

Bingo, thanks for that. I was starting to wonder if the problem was
dementia.

but it was a very long time ago I read it so I
don't remember much detail. "Two cultures" etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but they don't get listed in his
bibliographys.

C.P.Snow "Strangers and Brothers" series ?

Yep, spot on, thanks for that. Surprising that it doesnt
get a mention in the best of the oxbridge don fiction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
On 06/11/2017 12:13, Roger Hayter wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

Nick Odell wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

Clearly it was fine for at least 3 people now and I havent read all the
comments yet.

Not even a clue about genre?

What I said is just that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote
michael adams wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but they don't get listed in his
bibliographys.

C.P.Snow "Strangers and Brothers" series ?

Yep, spot on, thanks for that. Surprising that it doesnt
get a mention in the best of the oxbridge don fiction.

Bugger, none in ebook format.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2017 10:47, Nick Odell wrote:
On 05/11/17 23:21, Rod Speed wrote:
Could have sworn it was CS Lewis, but they don't get listed in his
bibliographys.

The closest Lewis I can think of is "That Hideous Strength" which is set
in a fictional university.

Tom Sharpe wrote a comic novel "Porterhouse Blue" about Cambridge

And the sequel "Grantchester Grind"

Cannon Oxford cooker nick UK diy 7 February 3rd 13 11:09 PM
Something involving Obama and metal. TwoGuns Metalworking 2 February 1st 09 03:08 AM
replacing regular outlet with GFCI, involving light switch KLS Home Ownership 4 February 16th 07 01:08 AM
What is the Oxford English dictionary of circuit diagrams Dean Electronics 1 October 6th 06 11:13 PM
Carbon Monoxide Death in Oxford despite 10 Br Gas visits! Gel UK diy 12 August 24th 06 05:08 PM