Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Video doorbells?

Anyone got one? Any advice?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

Anyone got one? Any advice?

watch techmoan then decide .... how **** they are

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote

Anyone got one? Any advice?

IMO its best done as part of the surveillance camera system.

That way you can answer the doorbell with your phone when
you are out and tell the delivery person where to leave stuff etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why would you want one, for years we have just had a bell.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
Anyone got one? Any advice?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Why would you want one,

Handy to see who it is, and if it’s the joveys or some other
sales fool with a clipboard etc, ignore them if you choose to.

Also handy to be able to answer with your phone, see who it
is and if it’s a delivery person, tell them to leave what they are
delivering there if you don’t have to sign for it, or tell them
that you are coming so they don’t just card it so you have to
go down to the delivery place and pick it up later etc.

for years we have just had a bell.

And now its very affordable to do a lot better than that so
it makes sense to have something better and more useful.

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
Anyone got one? Any advice?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Anyone got one? Any advice?

Avoid Ring. Just look at the reviews on Amazon. Son has one, it's crap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Nov 2017 17:48:11 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Why would you want one, for years we have just had a bell.

You had a bell? That's posh. All we had was a bloodstain on the door
where the local bill collector banged on it while we all hid behind
the settee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

Anyone got one? Any advice?

watch techmoan then decide .... how **** they are

Been looking at the wired version of these for over a year. Prices are
too high for 9 inch ones with 15V supplies. Many of the 7" ones have
poor resolution. The cameras generally are narrow angle and IR lit. You
really need 110 degrees and white LEDS. To get more than 4 monitors,
you need to amplify and split the viedo. You need 15V supplies to keep
the units compatible with wireless door opening and unlocking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Nov 2017 21:09:41 +0000
Capitol wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

Anyone got one? Any advice?

watch techmoan then decide .... how **** they are

Been looking at the wired version of these for over a year.
Prices are too high for 9 inch ones with 15V supplies. Many of the 7"
ones have poor resolution. The cameras generally are narrow angle and
IR lit. You really need 110 degrees and white LEDS. To get more than
4 monitors, you need to amplify and split the viedo. You need 15V
supplies to keep the units compatible with wireless door opening and
unlocking.

Jeez, just get a Raspberry Pi and a camera for it, and connect it to
your home wireless network.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2017 17:59, Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote

Why would you want one,

Handy to see who it is, and if it’s the joveys or some other
sales fool with a clipboard etc, ignore them if you choose to.

Also handy to be able to answer with your phone, see who it
is and if it’s a delivery person, tell them to leave what they are
delivering there if you don’t have to sign for it, or tell them
that you are coming so they don’t just card it so you have to
go down to the delivery place and pick it up later etc.

for years we have just had a bell.

And now its very affordable to do a lot better than that so
it makes sense to have something better and more useful.

That's exactly what I thought too. I have a somewhat rambling house and
although I have a portable "ringer" if I am at the top of the house or
the bottom of the garden, delivery guys are sometimes gone by the time I
get there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2017 18:00, Capitol wrote:
newshound wrote:
Anyone got one? Any advice?

Avoid Ring. Just look at the reviews on Amazon. Son has one, it's crap.

Thanks for the warning. Some review sites seem to like them. Havn't
researched Amazon thoroughly yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
That's exactly what I thought too. I have a somewhat rambling house and
although I have a portable "ringer" if I am at the top of the house or
the bottom of the garden, delivery guys are sometimes gone by the time I
get there.

Not quite sure how a video doorbell is going to help with that? Much
easier ways of telling someone who rings the bell you're in and coming to
the door.

--
*I don't believe in astrology. I am a Sagittarius and we're very skeptical.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 10:56:13 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
newshound wrote:
That's exactly what I thought too. I have a somewhat rambling house and
although I have a portable "ringer" if I am at the top of the house or
the bottom of the garden, delivery guys are sometimes gone by the time
I get there.

Not quite sure how a video doorbell is going to help with that? Much
easier ways of telling someone who rings the bell you're in and coming
to the door.

I'm thinking of having it play a short audio file that warns them I may
take a minute or two getting to the front door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Not quite sure how a video doorbell is going to help with that? Much
easier ways of telling someone who rings the bell you're in and coming
to the door.

I'm thinking of having it play a short audio file that warns them I may
take a minute or two getting to the front door.

That could be annoying if you're out, or don't come to the door for
whatever reason. A way of saying you're on your way would be ideal.

--
*When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
That's exactly what I thought too. I have a somewhat rambling house and
although I have a portable "ringer" if I am at the top of the house or
the bottom of the garden, delivery guys are sometimes gone by the time I
get there.

Not quite sure how a video doorbell is going to help with that? Much
easier ways of telling someone who rings the bell you're in and coming to
the door.

The things I am looking at talk to a phone app, give you a picture of
who is there, and allow a two way audio conversation. Given that I
always carry a phone, I can't really think of an *easier* way to tell
callers that I am on my way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
newshound wrote

That's exactly what I thought too. I have a somewhat rambling
house and although I have a portable "ringer" if I am at the top
of the house or the bottom of the garden, delivery guys are
sometimes gone by the time I get there.

Not quite sure how a video doorbell is going to help with that?

The better ones allow you to say whatever
you like to the person ringing the doorbell.

Even allow you to do that using your phone if you arent
home when they ring the doorbell, so you can tell them
where to leave the parcel if it doesn’t need to be signed
for and even allows you to sign for it using your phone
if they allow that form of signature for deliverys.

Much easier ways of telling someone who rings
the bell you're in and coming to the door.

But not for working out who it is ringing the doorbell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
That's exactly what I thought too. I have a somewhat rambling house and
although I have a portable "ringer" if I am at the top of the house or
the bottom of the garden, delivery guys are sometimes gone by the time
I get there.

Not quite sure how a video doorbell is going to help with that? Much
easier ways of telling someone who rings the bell you're in and coming
to the door.

I'm thinking of having it play a short audio file that warns them I may
take a minute or two getting to the front door.

But its better to have a video doorbell so you can see if its a delivery
person or a jovey and to be able to talk to the person when telling
them where to leave the parcel if it doesnt need to be signed for.

And to tell the joveys that you are a heathen instead of having to
go to the door to tell them that and to tell the sales droids to **** off.

Heath-Zenith Wireless doorbells are garbage - Followup [email protected] Home Repair 12 June 6th 09 11:39 PM
Wireless doorbells Andy Hall UK diy 1 July 4th 07 03:18 PM
Wireless doorbells George UK diy 0 July 2nd 07 01:06 PM
Heath-Zenith Wireless doorbells are garbage [email protected] Home Repair 3 June 29th 06 09:39 PM
Doorbells - Digital & programmable Kaz Electronics 0 October 9th 04 08:14 PM