Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Blade Shaving

... as opposed to the Electric Shavers thread ongoing.
Has anyone tried the new boys on the block - mail order or otherwise?
I have tried all the ones usually found in the supermarkets/pharmacies.
They all work but are a rip-off for price. I am using Wilkinson
Sword/Schick Hydro 5, not because it shaves any better, but it is
marginally cheaper and gets in my earhole where us old blokes suddenly
start growing hair.
--
Jim S
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2017 14:26, Jim S wrote:
.. as opposed to the Electric Shavers thread ongoing.
Has anyone tried the new boys on the block - mail order or otherwise?
I have tried all the ones usually found in the supermarkets/pharmacies.
They all work but are a rip-off for price. I am using Wilkinson
Sword/Schick Hydro 5, not because it shaves any better, but it is
marginally cheaper and gets in my earhole where us old blokes suddenly
start growing hair.

Lidl twin blade razors. Something like £3.50 for a handle and 20 blade
cartridges. Sometimes on offer with extra blades.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 16:47:32 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Tim+ wrote:

Clive Arthur Wrote in message:
On 27/10/2017 14:26, Jim S wrote:
.. as opposed to the Electric Shavers thread ongoing.
Has anyone tried the new boys on the block - mail order or otherwise?
I have tried all the ones usually found in the supermarkets/pharmacies.
They all work but are a rip-off for price. I am using Wilkinson
Sword/Schick Hydro 5, not because it shaves any better, but it is
marginally cheaper and gets in my earhole where us old blokes suddenly
start growing hair.

Lidl twin blade razors. Something like £3.50 for a handle and 20 blade
cartridges. Sometimes on offer with extra blades.

Cheers
--
Clive

5 bladed razors give a better shave in my hands. At one new blade
every 6 months or so, the cost isn't significant. (And yes, I do
shave daily).

Tim

Wow. Down to what; fine stubble, particular gel/cream?
--
Jim S
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2017 14:26, Jim S wrote:
.. as opposed to the Electric Shavers thread ongoing.
Has anyone tried the new boys on the block - mail order or otherwise?
I have tried all the ones usually found in the supermarkets/pharmacies.
They all work but are a rip-off for price. I am using Wilkinson
Sword/Schick Hydro 5, not because it shaves any better, but it is
marginally cheaper and gets in my earhole where us old blokes suddenly
start growing hair.

Lidl twin blade razors. Something like £3.50 for a handle and 20 blade
cartridges. Sometimes on offer with extra blades.

Cheers
--
Clive

5 bladed razors give a better shave in my hands. At one new blade
every 6 months or so, the cost isn't significant. (And yes, I do
shave daily).

What was a joke ten years ago is reality now:

"**** Everything, We're Doing Five Blades"

https://www.theonion.com/****-everyt...des-1819584036

Actually, now I know 5 blade razors actually exist, I'll probably give
them a go myself. I thought the mach 3 turbo was still the dogs
wotsits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/17 14:26, Jim S wrote:
.. as opposed to the Electric Shavers thread ongoing.
Has anyone tried the new boys on the block - mail order or otherwise?
I have tried all the ones usually found in the supermarkets/pharmacies.
They all work but are a rip-off for price. I am using Wilkinson
Sword/Schick Hydro 5, not because it shaves any better, but it is
marginally cheaper and gets in my earhole where us old blokes suddenly
start growing hair.

Got myself an old fashioned safety razor and a pack of double edged
blades off Amazon.

Finally a razor that works. still on the second pack of blades a cuople
years later

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

5 bladed razors give a better shave in my hands.

Same here, 5-blade Gillete with tilt and swivel, the inbuilt motor makes
a difference, the lubrastrips have generally worn out weeks before the
blades, when buying blades never pay extra for the "powered" ones, just
get the "manual" ones.

At one new blade every 6 months or so, the cost isn't significant.

I can't stretch them /that/ long, and I often skip a day if I'm not
going on-site, but if you buy the 10 or 16 blade packs they seem to be
pretty close to the price of the supposed price-cutting new boys, under
£2.50 per blade.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

5 bladed razors give a better shave in my hands.

You shave your palms?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2017 14:26, Jim S wrote:
.. as opposed to the Electric Shavers thread ongoing.
Has anyone tried the new boys on the block - mail order or otherwise?
I have tried all the ones usually found in the supermarkets/pharmacies.
They all work but are a rip-off for price. I am using Wilkinson
Sword/Schick Hydro 5, not because it shaves any better, but it is
marginally cheaper and gets in my earhole where us old blokes suddenly
start growing hair.

I always used Gillette blades (I forget the exact type, Contour
something- one of the twin bladed ones) with a white strip but, when I
couldn't get any, someone also looking for them in the shop mentioned
the Wilkinson (the shop) own brand ones fitted. Normally, I wouldn't
touch anything other than Gillette but I'm almost converted, especially
as the ones I normally use seem to be in short supply.

They are triple bladed, fit the Gillette handle, and seem fine. They are
about half the price of the Gillette ones- about £3 for 5 as I recall.

I looked at the mail order beasts but they don't actually look that good
a deal, plus if you run out, you can't just pop into a shop.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2017 14:26, Jim S wrote:
.. as opposed to the Electric Shavers thread ongoing.
Has anyone tried the new boys on the block - mail order or otherwise?
I have tried all the ones usually found in the supermarkets/pharmacies.
They all work but are a rip-off for price. I am using Wilkinson
Sword/Schick Hydro 5, not because it shaves any better, but it is
marginally cheaper and gets in my earhole where us old blokes suddenly
start growing hair.

I used King of Shaves for a while, but they disappeared from all the
supermarkets.

These days I just use Wilkinson-Sword, but bulk buy when they are on
offer and give my face a rest by only shaving 2 or 3 times a week - it's
amazing how long a pack of blades will last that way!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S was thinking very hard :
Has anyone tried the new boys on the block - mail order or otherwise?
I have tried all the ones usually found in the supermarkets/pharmacies.

I looked at them but nothing more than that. I got the impression that
they were not that much cheaper and the idea was to simply tie you into
a regular deal as a direct debit.

My shaving regime is irregular. I might grow a beard for a few days,
then get a shave for an occasion or just because I feel like having a
shave. My 5 bladed Gillettes tend to last a couple of months each, so
not a huge amount to be saved anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2017 22:16, wrote:

5 bladed razors give a better shave in my hands.

You shave your palms?

No need to to the backs, that hair gets worn off when the knuckles drag
along the ground ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2017 22:48, Brian Reay wrote:
On 27/10/2017 14:26, Jim S wrote:
[...]

I found a bulk pack of Mach III blades in makro for something like £30
IIRC - that included something like 25 or 30 blades (i.e. 5 plastic
clips full that mount on the back of the razor holder). They have been
keeping me going for a few years. (I don't wet shave every day though)

--
Cheers,

John.