Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sh1t Pit Inspection chamber in the house Replacement

Hi All,
Job number 671 has reached the front of the queue. The main bathroom.
It was gutted 7 or so years ago and is now on the hit list.

First slight problem is, in our downstairs hall-way (built on a hill so
one side is underground) which is the bedrooms and main bathroom there
is an inspection chamber "collector" fed from the upstairs dirty water,
a clay pipe from one end of the downstairs bathroom and a poo pipe from
the other side of the bathroom.

The inspection chamber "top" is a double lipped frame packed with grease
into which the single lip of the heavy chamber lid nestles and is then
fixed down by 3 (originally 4 but one is sheared off) large brass screws.

Having such a lovely beast in the hall between bedrooms I'd prefer to
replace it with something more "modern" that doesn't rely on loads of
grease to make a gas/excrement/fluid seal but still needs to be
mechanically locked in place should the outlet become blocked and sh1t
backs up flooding the hall.

Current steel lump is 600mm by about 740mm (whatever the imperial size
would have been)

Any suggestions of should I just grease it back up and forget all about
it.. ?

Cheers
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2017 15:45, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

The inspection chamber "top" is a double lipped frame packed with grease
into which the single lip of the heavy chamber lid nestles and is then
fixed down by 3 (originally 4 but one is sheared off) large brass screws.

Current steel lump is 600mm by about 740mm (whatever the imperial size
would have been)

Update - on further investigation it's the "clear open space" or such
that I should be measuring i.e. the hole, which comes into the realms of
450 x 600 so now I'm back on track...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Speaking from a large degree of ignorance, I would doubt that such a
beautiful, reliable and strong object could ever be purchased nowadays.
I would check the pointing of the walls of the chamber, replace the
screw (a large brass one should be easy to get out and replace) and be
glad to keep it!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 October 2017 15:46:18 UTC+1, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
The inspection chamber "top" is a double lipped frame packed with grease
into which the single lip of the heavy chamber lid nestles and is then
fixed down by 3 (originally 4 but one is sheared off) large brass screws.
Having such a lovely beast in the hall between bedrooms I'd prefer to
replace it with something more "modern" that doesn't rely on loads of
grease to make a gas/excrement/fluid seal but still needs to be
mechanically locked in place should the outlet become blocked and sh1t
backs up flooding the hall.

I think newer ones have rubber seals and you can get double lid ones intended for basements with back pressure eg

http://www.manholecovers.co.uk/catal...airtight-seals

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
The inspection chamber "top" is a double lipped frame packed with grease
into which the single lip of the heavy chamber lid nestles and is then
fixed down by 3 (originally 4 but one is sheared off) large brass screws.
Having such a lovely beast in the hall between bedrooms I'd prefer to
replace it with something more "modern" that doesn't rely on loads of
grease to make a gas/excrement/fluid seal but still needs to be
mechanically locked in place should the outlet become blocked and sh1t
backs up flooding the hall.

I think newer ones have rubber seals and you can get double lid ones intended for basements with back pressure eg

http://www.manholecovers.co.uk/catal...airtight-seals

Owain

"All units are airtight and virtually watertight."

That's OK then.....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm very surprised its indoors. When the ex neighbours built an extension
they put it over the chamber that was outside. The folks from Building
control made them dig up the floor and the pipework and put it outside
again. A very noisy and dusty and annoying job.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:

"All units are airtight and virtually watertight."

That's OK then.....

Am I alone in thinking that air, being thinner, would be less
likely to leak through than water, or is it more complicated than
that?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Chris J Dixon Wrote in message:
jim wrote:

"All units are airtight and virtually watertight."

That's OK then.....

Am I alone in thinking that air, being thinner, would be less
likely to leak through than water, or is it more complicated than
that?

Chris

Indeed. Maybe they mean "atmospheric pressure air tight"

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
news
I'm very surprised its indoors. When the ex neighbours built an
extension they put it over the chamber that was outside. The folks
from Building control made them dig up the floor and the pipework and
put it outside again. A very noisy and dusty and annoying job.
Brian

I guess it depended if it was a private or Water Board Chamber.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote
jim wrote

"All units are airtight and virtually watertight."

That's OK then.....

Am I alone in thinking that air, being thinner,
would be less likely to leak through than water,

Unlikely you are the only one likely to get that so wrong.

or is it more complicated than that?

Yes it is. Most obviously with PET bottles of stuff like beer.

The CO2 will eventually diffuse thru the PET and the water never does.

And with plumbing, water and **** laden water etc can see
that blocking small unpressurised leaks whereas air doesn't
do that with leaks as much.