Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Sh1t Pit Inspection chamber in the house Replacement

I'm very surprised its indoors. When the ex neighbours built an extension
they put it over the chamber that was outside. The folks from Building
control made them dig up the floor and the pipework and put it outside
again. A very noisy and dusty and annoying job.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Roger Hayter" wrote in message

Hi All,
Job number 671 has reached the front of the queue. The main bathroom.
It was gutted 7 or so years ago and is now on the hit list.

First slight problem is, in our downstairs hall-way (built on a hill so
one side is underground) which is the bedrooms and main bathroom there
is an inspection chamber "collector" fed from the upstairs dirty water,
a clay pipe from one end of the downstairs bathroom and a poo pipe from
the other side of the bathroom.

The inspection chamber "top" is a double lipped frame packed with grease
into which the single lip of the heavy chamber lid nestles and is then
fixed down by 3 (originally 4 but one is sheared off) large brass screws.

Having such a lovely beast in the hall between bedrooms I'd prefer to
replace it with something more "modern" that doesn't rely on loads of
grease to make a gas/excrement/fluid seal but still needs to be
mechanically locked in place should the outlet become blocked and sh1t
backs up flooding the hall.

Current steel lump is 600mm by about 740mm (whatever the imperial size
would have been)

Any suggestions of should I just grease it back up and forget all about
it.. ?

Cheers
Pete

Speaking from a large degree of ignorance, I would doubt that such a
beautiful, reliable and strong object could ever be purchased nowadays.
I would check the pointing of the walls of the chamber, replace the
screw (a large brass one should be easy to get out and replace) and be
glad to keep it!

--

Roger Hayter