Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY speed signs

On 04/10/2017 17:00, Dave W wrote:
"fred" wrote in message
On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 9:16:59 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

One of the best things about my van (when it actually works) is that I
can set the cruse control to 31MPH when in a 30 zone. That sets my real
speed to 29MPH.

Yes, I often use C/C set to 31 in a 30 and 52 in motorway 50 roadworks
sections. I find most of the "flashing reminder" signs are quite
accurate compared to GPS - far more accurate than most car speedos.

A reminder that you are speeding is much better than a sign that lights
up when you are not speeding - even if it has a happy face when you are
not speeding.

Signs that have amber flashing lights and a green message thanking you
for not speeding are just ****ing annoying.

Wimps. I set mine at 33, 44 and 77(i.e) speed limit plus 10%. A car I once
owned allowed multiple presets of the cruise control. Quite useful. Been
replaced by cruise control with active braking.

How accurate are those settings in terms of actual speed? I bet you have no
idea.

Assuming my say nav is accurate then I have every idea.

31MPH on CC is really 29MPH

57MPH on CC is really 54MPH

155MPH on CC is really the van bottoming out at about 110MPH as it
cannot give any more. Maybe 115MPH downhill with the wind behind it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
ARW wrote:

[...]

I was getting at "fred" not you, but your figures illustrate my concern. -7%
error is quite a significant fraction of the +10% he thinks he's using.
Luckily it's in a safer direction, so his imagined +10% are probably only
+3%.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
fred wrote:

Wimps. I set mine at 33, 44 and 77(i.e) speed limit plus 10%. A car I once
owned allowed multiple presets of the cruise control. Quite useful. Been
replaced by cruise control with active braking.

What is your experience of that? Do you get sudden braking when
somebody pulls into your braking space?

No reason why you should. It can just break when its going to
exceed the limit when going down a decent hill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

One of the best things about my van (when it actually works) is
that I can set the cruse control to 31MPH when in a 30 zone. That
sets my real speed to 29MPH.

Yes, I often use C/C set to 31 in a 30 and 52 in motorway 50
roadworks sections. I find most of the "flashing reminder" signs
are quite accurate compared to GPS - far more accurate than most
car speedos.

A reminder that you are speeding is much better than a sign that
lights up when you are not speeding - even if it has a happy face
when you are not speeding.

Signs that have amber flashing lights and a green message thanking
you for not speeding are just ****ing annoying.

Wimps. I set mine at 33, 44 and 77(i.e) speed limit plus 10%. A car I
once owned allowed multiple presets of the cruise control. Quite
useful. Been replaced by cruise control with active braking.

I put 4 new tyres on. Now it gets annoyed at 33 indicated, when it used
to be 34..

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
ARW wrote:

[...]

All cars I have owned had speedos that read amlmost exactly 10% high,
except I think a topline jaguar, which seemed to be 3% or less.

Confirmed by police radar guns () GPS and these ****ing signs we are
talking about...

all women"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

[...]

But I do. At one time I regularly checked speedometer's accuracy with a stop watch and the motorway posts but found that the type of car I drive was consistantly accurate enough to trust

Incidentally two of the o.p.'s speed limit indicators on roads I use under read my speed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 1:26:12 PM UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:
fred wrote:

Wimps. I set mine at 33, 44 and 77(i.e) speed limit plus 10%. A car I once owned allowed multiple presets of the cruise control. Quite useful. Been replaced by cruise control with active braking.

What is your experience of that? Do you get sudden braking when
somebody pulls into your braking space?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

No thats not how it functions on my car. If I reduce the set speed on the cruise control the car will automatically brake down to the new speed
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Wimps. I set mine at 33, 44 and 77(i.e) speed limit plus 10%. A car I once owned allowed multiple presets of the cruise control. Quite useful. Been replaced by cruise control with active braking.

What is your experience of that? Do you get sudden braking when
somebody pulls into your braking space?

No thats not how it functions on my car. If I reduce the set speed on the cruise control the car will automatically brake down to the new speed

Ah! I thought it was the system that follows the vehicle in front
at a safe distance.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK