Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W[_2_] Dave W[_2_] is offline

Default DIY speed signs

"ARW" wrote in message
news
On 04/10/2017 17:00, Dave W wrote:
"fred" wrote in message
On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 9:16:59 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

One of the best things about my van (when it actually works) is that I
can set the cruse control to 31MPH when in a 30 zone. That sets my
real
speed to 29MPH.

Yes, I often use C/C set to 31 in a 30 and 52 in motorway 50 roadworks
sections. I find most of the "flashing reminder" signs are quite
accurate compared to GPS - far more accurate than most car speedos.

A reminder that you are speeding is much better than a sign that
lights
up when you are not speeding - even if it has a happy face when you
are
not speeding.

Signs that have amber flashing lights and a green message thanking you
for not speeding are just ****ing annoying.

Wimps. I set mine at 33, 44 and 77(i.e) speed limit plus 10%. A car I
once
owned allowed multiple presets of the cruise control. Quite useful. Been
replaced by cruise control with active braking.

How accurate are those settings in terms of actual speed? I bet you have
no
idea.

Assuming my say nav is accurate then I have every idea.

31MPH on CC is really 29MPH

57MPH on CC is really 54MPH

155MPH on CC is really the van bottoming out at about 110MPH as it cannot
give any more. Maybe 115MPH downhill with the wind behind it.

I was getting at "fred" not you, but your figures illustrate my concern. -7%
error is quite a significant fraction of the +10% he thinks he's using.
Luckily it's in a safer direction, so his imagined +10% are probably only
+3%.
--
Dave W