Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Default Fixed/barbed spade connectors

Evening all,

Was fixing up the electrics of a 1972 Beetle t'other day and came across
a couple of spade connectors used as connections to the dip/high beam
relay that have seen better days. They're basically standard 1/4" female
connectors but with a little barb that locks them into the
Delrin/Bakelite type relay board. I've hunted about but can't seem to
find any - possibly I don't know what they're called.

Any ideas?

--
Scott

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2017 21:30, Scott M wrote:

Evening all,

Was fixing up the electrics of a 1972 Beetle t'other day and came across
a couple of spade connectors used as connections to the dip/high beam
relay that have seen better days. They're basically standard 1/4" female
connectors but with a little barb that locks them into the
Delrin/Bakelite type relay board. I've hunted about but can't seem to
find any - possibly I don't know what they're called.

Any ideas?

Try Ebay with "spade connector with locking tab"

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 30/08/2017 21:30, Scott M wrote:

into the Delrin/Bakelite type relay board. I've hunted about but can't
seem to find any - possibly I don't know what they're called.

Any ideas?

Try Ebay with "spade connector with locking tab"

That's the ticket, ordered a bag now! Thanks very much for that. For
some reason I'd not tried searching on that, possibly because I'd been
looking at general spades for something else the other day and had
"locking" down mentally as the sort that lock the blade into the female
part. Or possibly because I'm a twit. Either way I'm grateful!

--
Scott

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott M wrote:

Evening all,

Was fixing up the electrics of a 1972 Beetle t'other day and came across
a couple of spade connectors used as connections to the dip/high beam
relay that have seen better days. They're basically standard 1/4" female
connectors but with a little barb that locks them into the
Delrin/Bakelite type relay board. I've hunted about but can't seem to
find any - possibly I don't know what they're called.

Any ideas?

There are hundreds of variations on these 1/4" connectors.

Vehicle Wiring Products is one supplier. But sadly not all the barb type
are in identical - so what they supply may not be perfect. Also look at
the ones they supply as part of a 1/4" connector, rather than just their
generic ones. Which may be closer to what you need. Those that fit in a
relay base may have a longer socket than the standard wire end type.

There are lots of suppliers of such products in the UK and elsewhere. With
luck you'll find an exact replacment, but may take some finding.

You could also ask on a Beetle forum.

--
*Don't byte off more than you can view *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:

Evening all,

Was fixing up the electrics of a 1972 Beetle t'other day and came across
a couple of spade connectors used as connections to the dip/high beam
relay that have seen better days. They're basically standard 1/4" female
connectors but with a little barb that locks them into the
Delrin/Bakelite type relay board. I've hunted about but can't seem to
find any - possibly I don't know what they're called.

Any ideas?

Can't help alas. In some ways I miss my old beetle (my first car) but not
that much. Utterly gutless (which might have been acceptable if it had been
economical) but thirsty too (22-25 mpg). Exciting in crosswinds too...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2017 10:55, Tim+ wrote:
Scott M wrote:

Evening all,

Was fixing up the electrics of a 1972 Beetle t'other day and came across
a couple of spade connectors used as connections to the dip/high beam
relay that have seen better days. They're basically standard 1/4" female
connectors but with a little barb that locks them into the
Delrin/Bakelite type relay board. I've hunted about but can't seem to
find any - possibly I don't know what they're called.

Any ideas?

Can't help alas. In some ways I miss my old beetle (my first car) but not
that much. Utterly gutless (which might have been acceptable if it had been
economical) but thirsty too (22-25 mpg). Exciting in crosswinds too...

Tim

That was how I crashed one, straight but snowy and icy main A13 road,
initially sheltered from the left by housing, as soon as I left the
housing area, the open fields were letting the wind belt across the road
taking snow with it, the Beetle rotated clockwise, the wind had unstuck
the front tyres, it then turned into a gently rotating spinny thing and
parked itself backwards into a fence, I drove it home, and there was
little important damage. Nowadays I would have had a couple of bags of
cement in the front, but I was much, much younger then.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Vehicle Wiring Products is one supplier. But sadly not all the barb type
are in identical - so what they supply may not be perfect. Also look at
the ones they supply as part of a 1/4" connector, rather than just their
generic ones. Which may be closer to what you need. Those that fit in a
relay base may have a longer socket than the standard wire end type.

This was very standardly sized with a bard on the back so hopefully the
ones I turned up on eBay will fit. At worst I can probably push the
connector up from the back of the relay board as it stands proud of the
metalwork it's mounted to. The car doesn't go out at night (owner's
night sight isn't too good) so he's unlikely to wear out the new dim-dip
relay that went in.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Can't help alas. In some ways I miss my old beetle (my first car) but not
that much. Utterly gutless (which might have been acceptable if it had been
economical) but thirsty too (22-25 mpg). Exciting in crosswinds too...

I'd never been close to a Beetle before and it surprised me just how
much it felt like something from the 50s. I know they'd been making them
forever but surprised they'd never felt the need to do much to the
design as time went past. I wonder if, by the 70s, it was derided for
being willfully old fashioned?

--
Scott

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

"Scott M" wrote in message
news
Tim+ wrote:

Can't help alas. In some ways I miss my old beetle (my first car) but not
that much. Utterly gutless (which might have been acceptable if it had
been
economical) but thirsty too (22-25 mpg). Exciting in crosswinds too...

I'd never been close to a Beetle before and it surprised me just how much
it felt like something from the 50s. I know they'd been making them
forever but surprised they'd never felt the need to do much to the design
as time went past. I wonder if, by the 70s, it was derided for being
willfully old fashioned?

Nope, it was always a pretty innovative design, particularly
the engine and transmission and suspension etc.

Body style was pretty oldfashioned and very limiting use
of space wise and was replaced by the Golf at that time.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott M wrote:
Vehicle Wiring Products is one supplier. But sadly not all the barb type
are in identical - so what they supply may not be perfect. Also look at
the ones they supply as part of a 1/4" connector, rather than just their
generic ones. Which may be closer to what you need. Those that fit in a
relay base may have a longer socket than the standard wire end type.

This was very standardly sized with a bard on the back so hopefully the
ones I turned up on eBay will fit. At worst I can probably push the
connector up from the back of the relay board as it stands proud of the
metalwork it's mounted to. The car doesn't go out at night (owner's
night sight isn't too good) so he's unlikely to wear out the new dim-dip
relay that went in.

Even if the barb isn't in the right place you may be able to push the
connector fully home from the back of the relay base.

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 31 August 2017 21:42:58 UTC+1, Scott M wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Can't help alas. In some ways I miss my old beetle (my first car) but not
that much. Utterly gutless (which might have been acceptable if it had been
economical) but thirsty too (22-25 mpg). Exciting in crosswinds too...

I'd never been close to a Beetle before and it surprised me just how
much it felt like something from the 50s. I know they'd been making them
forever but surprised they'd never felt the need to do much to the
design as time went past. I wonder if, by the 70s, it was derided for
being willfully old fashioned?

The Beetle was very popular in the 70s. In the 80s what you say became true.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Can't help alas. In some ways I miss my old beetle (my first car) but not
that much. Utterly gutless (which might have been acceptable if it had been
economical) but thirsty too (22-25 mpg). Exciting in crosswinds too...

I'd never been close to a Beetle before and it surprised me just how
much it felt like something from the 50s. I know they'd been making them
forever but surprised they'd never felt the need to do much to the
design as time went past. I wonder if, by the 70s, it was derided for
being willfully old fashioned?

The Beetle was very popular in the 70s. In the 80s what you say became true.

It was my first car, picked up at trade. It had been imported
from South Africa, and was a bit behind the European model
changes. IIRC the greasing interval was 1500 miles. It was OK as
a first car, but not after driving anything else. Motorway trips
in a cross wind were very interesting, as the steering, even with
new king pins, was incredibly soggy.

M62 eastbound was fun. If I didn't get a good run at it I had to
change down before the summit.

A fun job was changing the spark plugs - on the 1500 engine
you needed a plug spanner that would take the tommy bar at 45
degrees.

Then there was the heater designed so that, if it was going to
stick, it would do so fully on. As it was a waterless system, the
air could get pretty hot, and a passenger once had a pair of
shoes ruined.

It had an interesting screenwash system. The water reservoir was
connected to, and pressurised by, the spare wheel. You simply
pushed the control and water squirted.

Only when it eventually stopped working did it become clear that
there was a pressure limiter to make sure that you didn't run the
tyre flat.

My only success was once getting an exhaust fitted free - almost
all the free fit exhaust firms wouldn't touch it without an extra
charge. They took all day and had to change a stud.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"Scott M" wrote in message
news

I'd never been close to a Beetle before and it surprised me just how
much it felt like something from the 50s. I know they'd been making
them forever but surprised they'd never felt the need to do much to
the design as time went past. I wonder if, by the 70s, it was derided
for being willfully old fashioned?

Nope, it was always a pretty innovative design, particularly
the engine and transmission and suspension etc.

Body style was pretty oldfashioned and very limiting use
of space wise and was replaced by the Golf at that time.

Yes, what I saw of the electricals seemed up to the times. There was
something clever, I forget what, that wouldn't have been on equivalent
Fords, etc. But it was sitting in front of the tin-plate dashboard with
the little openings into the space under the bonnet that put me in mind
of my uncle's Austin Cambridge. I can't decide whether it was a concious
nod to heritage and histoy for purists or simply cost-saving,
keep-it-the-same cheap car economics.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

[...]

They were still made in Mexico and Brazil until quite recently.
http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Mexic...-over-20150709