Loren Amelang

Default Stainless barbed insert adapter sizing??

Hi,

Sorry this is sort-of off-topic, but people here know everything...

I'm looking for stainless steel barbed insert fittings to adapt "3/4
inch" black poly pipe to 3/4 male NPT threads. There used to be
several local sources, but now none of them seem to remember they ever
came in stainless.

I tried McMaster's 5363K72 adapter, which came marked "HASS-3 A04
USA", but ran into the pipe size issue. That adapter is 0.777" across
the barbs, which sounds appropriate to force-fit into 3/4 pipe, except
that common "3/4 poly" pipe around here is 0.824" I.D. so the adapter
doesn't even come close to fitting snugly.

It seems a random half of the insert fittings I see follow this
sizing, while the other random half are around 0.850" across the barbs
and fit nicely into 0.824" I.D. pipe. Sizing doesn't seem to depend on
whether they are plastic, steel, brass, or stainless, or whether they
come from hardware store, farm supply, or irrigation dealer.

I've been Googling for a long time now, and have found no explanation
of how to deal with this - and not a single listing of adapters with
diameters given! Is there any way to buy a "3/4" barb adapter and
guarantee that it will fit "3/4" poly pipe as opposed to pipe that is
actually 3/4" I.D.? Anyone know of an online catalog that actually
lists barb diameters of the insert fittings? In stainless?

Loren

If you have a lathe and a source of SS, seems like a perfect project!
Paul

RoyJ

You are hitting the "tube" versus "pipe" problem. Tube and hose has even
inside diameters. Pipe is measured in a "nominal" inside diameter. The
poly pipe is just that, measured in "pipe" sizes.

I looked at some catalogs, didn't do very well finding anything.