Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Desktop PC problems.

Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting an SSD to
it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.

Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet
connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault finding,
so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up picture. Won't even go
into BIOS setup - although it says it is trying.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Guess my old desktop has finally died. only shows the BIOS start up picture.

Disconnect all disks, usb peripherals, take out the RAM, make sure a
speaker/piezo is attached to the motherboard - do you get a pattern of
beeps? Search for that pattern combined with the motherboard model. Do
you have a POST-card?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

recently fitting an SSD

Presume you would have noticed stalled fans or fluffed-up heat sinks at
that point?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting an SSD to
it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.

Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet
connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault finding,
so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up picture. Won't even go
into BIOS setup - although it says it is trying.

There's a procedure to follow before pronouncing the last rites -
disconnect everything, reset RAM, reset CMOS settings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 28/08/2017 11:07, GB wrote:
Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting an SSD to
it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.

Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet
connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault finding,
so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up picture. Won't even go
into BIOS setup - although it says it is trying.

There's a procedure to follow before pronouncing the last rites -
disconnect everything, reset RAM, reset CMOS settings.

Reset RAM - I mean take it out and push it back in again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting an SSD to
it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.

Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet
connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault finding,
so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up picture. Won't even go
into BIOS setup - although it says it is trying.

Many older motherboards have a lithium coin cell battery fitted in a
battery holder. If this is the case check the battery first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting an SSD to
it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.

Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet
connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault finding,
so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up picture. Won't even go
into BIOS setup - although it says it is trying.

Many older motherboards have a lithium coin cell battery fitted in a
battery holder. If this is the case check the battery first.

That doesnt normally produce that symptom when its gone flat.

Normally all you see is the clock loses time when its turned off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rod Speed
wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message
Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting an SSD
to it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.

Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet
connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault
finding, so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up picture.
Won't even go into BIOS setup - although it says it is trying.

Many older motherboards have a lithium coin cell battery fitted in a
battery holder. If this is the case check the battery first.

That doesnt normally produce that symptom when its gone flat.

Normally all you see is the clock loses time when its turned off.

probably depends on the age of the machine, In the 1990s machines in our
office wouldn't start if the battery was dead.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/17 12:05, charles wrote:
In article , Rod Speed
wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message
Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting an SSD
to it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.

Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet
connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault
finding, so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up picture.
Won't even go into BIOS setup - although it says it is trying.

Many older motherboards have a lithium coin cell battery fitted in a
battery holder. If this is the case check the battery first.

That doesnt normally produce that symptom when its gone flat.

Normally all you see is the clock loses time when its turned off.

probably depends on the age of the machine, In the 1990s machines in our
office wouldn't start if the battery was dead.

Yes. seen all sorts of behviours.

But frankly, if its a old MB (7years) I'd spend a couple of hundred on
a newer MB and more RAM.

But then I dont have to worry that linux won't work on a new MB

M$ means having to reinstall and sometiems te old license wont work.

--
it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting an SSD to
it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.

Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet
connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault finding,
so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up picture. Won't even go
into BIOS setup - although it says it is trying.

What they said... also if it has an internal USB card reader fitted, try
disconnecting that before rebooting. I have seen those stop a machine
booting too many times!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-08-28, John Rumm wrote:
Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting an SSD to
it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.

Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet
connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault finding,
so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up picture. Won't even go
into BIOS setup - although it says it is trying.

What they said... also if it has an internal USB card reader fitted, try
disconnecting that before rebooting. I have seen those stop a machine
booting too many times!

Never mind an internal one - my external USB card reader stops my machine
from booting if it's plugged in.

I had an old MB that took over a minute to get past the BIOS when a
logitech webcam was plugged in.

Itd ethernet went faulty as well, so I got this shiny new MP, RAM and an
SSD for a couple of hundred. Case is the same, still has its original XP
home license from its original owner on it from 10 years ago...

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2017 12:32, pamela wrote:
On 10:49 28 Aug 2017, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting
an SSD to it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.

Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet
connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault
finding, so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up
picture. Won't even go into BIOS setup - although it says it is
trying.

Blown capacitors on the motherboard?

Or maybe PSU.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 12:32:01 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 10:49 28 Aug 2017, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting
an SSD to it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.

Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet
connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault
finding, so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up
picture. Won't even go into BIOS setup - although it says it is
trying.

Blown capacitors on the motherboard?

Could be. What is the motherboard and when was it manufactured?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 12:13:57 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snip

But then I dont have to worry that linux won't work on a new MB

Then may I suggest you haven't tried it on that many. I have a mate
who ran a PC shop for 16 years so I have / did.

M$ means having to reinstall and sometiems te old license wont work.

Not had one yet but then I know what I'm doing with an OS that most of
the hardware you buy was 'designed for'. ;-)

When I have tried Linux on new hardware and it doesn't work I'm told
off by the Linux Geeks for not checking beforehand that the hardware I
have chosen (when I rarely 'choose it' as such, it's just what seems
to do most of what I want at the best price break and of course,
supports Windows) is 'Linux compatible' (whatever that's supposed to
mean ... apart from the tail wagging the dog).

Then why I try it on some older hardware (because 'Linux is good for
that sort of thing') and it doesn't work, I'm told it's my fault again
for trying Linux on older hardware. ;-(

In general though, I'd agree, that most DE's on most Linux distros
work mostly on most not too old, not too new hardware and you can
often even way with transplanting a Linux system from one machine to
another (by moving the hard drive over).

For most who aren't just using their PC's as web terminals or
typewriters or who don't have loads of time, interest, patience or
need to try to get anything outside the std Office apps working, it
can be a bit of an uphill struggle (if not impossible), especially in
this Windows centric world. ;-(

And what when it goes wrong, who can you take it to? I've been
dabbling (and using as 'an alternative OS') Linux for many years now
and *still* don't know anyone in person who knows more about it than I
do (and I know (or care for that matter), little about what goes on
under the hood, just like the vast majority of PC users in fact).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I'm looking at a really old laptop for a friend and whilst Vista
won't boot (there is a graphics ram fault), Linux does (in software
rendering so s l o w) so I could leave Linux on there for them, even
dual boot so they can still get to their docs etc. Except I know they
wouldn't want it or use it (because what they *need* is the likes of
iTunes etc) and would rather go out and buy a new laptop that of
course, comes with Windows.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 28/08/2017 11:51, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , GB
wrote:

On 28/08/2017 11:07, GB wrote:
Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting an
SSD to
it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.

Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet
connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault
finding,
so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up picture. Won't
even go
into BIOS setup - although it says it is trying.

There's a procedure to follow before pronouncing the last rites -
disconnect everything, reset RAM, reset CMOS settings.

Reset RAM - I mean take it out and push it back in again.

So you mean "reseat", not "reset". Which is a reasonable thing to do.

That is indeed exactly what I meant, isn't it. I gather it's downhill
from age 30, and I'm a long way past 30.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 28/08/2017 17:51, pamela wrote:
On 17:03 28 Aug 2017, Brian Gaff wrote:

The thing is its going to be almost anything.
I do feel though that if its powered up as far as the bios its
not going to be the processor.
My feeling is cables most of the time.
Brian

The PC seems to freeze just after it the BIOS puts up the logo but,
as Dave omits it, not as far as the BIOS's POST.

Sounds like it could be a hardware fault. Perhaps the motherboard
itself although someone mentioned it could be the PSU.

With a very old machine, it may not be worth trying too hard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/17 20:01, pamela wrote:
On 18:10 28 Aug 2017, GB wrote:

On 28/08/2017 17:51, pamela wrote:
On 17:03 28 Aug 2017, Brian Gaff wrote:

The thing is its going to be almost anything. I do feel though
that if its powered up as far as the bios its not going to be
the processor.
My feeling is cables most of the time. Brian

The PC seems to freeze just after it the BIOS puts up the logo
but, as Dave omits it, not as far as the BIOS's POST.

Sounds like it could be a hardware fault. Perhaps the
motherboard itself although someone mentioned it could be the
PSU.

With a very old machine, it may not be worth trying too hard.

I'm usually out of touch with the cost of PCs, so I was surprised
to see how cheap second hand PCs are.

My local PC shop sells a recondiitoned desktop system unit with a
legit Win 7 licence for about �70 to �80. Presumably some of that
price is for VAT.

My PC man gives them to me free sometinmes other times at that price.

They have licenses, but dont use em

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people

Peter Thompson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , pamela
writes

With a very old machine, it may not be worth trying too hard.

I'm usually out of touch with the cost of PCs, so I was surprised
to see how cheap second hand PCs are.

My local PC shop sells a recondiitoned desktop system unit with a
legit Win 7 licence for about 70 to 80. Presumably some of that
price is for VAT.

There is a free to good home XP desktop taking up space in our hall.

Central London is about 1 hour away depending on traffic.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Rod Speed
wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message
Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting an SSD
to it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.

Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet
connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault
finding, so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up picture.
Won't even go into BIOS setup - although it says it is trying.

Many older motherboards have a lithium coin cell battery fitted in a
battery holder. If this is the case check the battery first.

That doesn't normally produce that symptom when its gone flat.

Normally all you see is the clock loses time when its turned off.

probably depends on the age of the machine,

I doubt it.

In the 1990s machines in our office
wouldn't start if the battery was dead.

Never saw that with much older stuff than that.

More just bad design with those IMO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
The thing is its going to be almost anything.
I do feel though that if its powered up as far as the bios its not going
to be the processor.

My feeling is cables most of the time.

Hardly ever with that symptom.

It is indeed quite likely to be bad caps.

"pamela" wrote in message
On 10:49 28 Aug 2017, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting
an SSD to it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.

Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet
connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault
finding, so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up
picture. Won't even go into BIOS setup - although it says it is
trying.

Blown capacitors on the motherboard?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
With a very old machine, it may not be worth trying too hard.

I'm usually out of touch with the cost of PCs, so I was surprised
to see how cheap second hand PCs are.

My local PC shop sells a recondiitoned desktop system unit with a
legit Win 7 licence for about 70 to 80. Presumably some of that
price is for VAT.

Given I built this one, if it proves terminal, I'll build another. Why
would I pay someone else to do a simple job like that?

Be interesting to know how long the warranty is. ;-)

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 11:24:33 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
pamela wrote:
With a very old machine, it may not be worth trying too hard.

I'm usually out of touch with the cost of PCs, so I was surprised
to see how cheap second hand PCs are.

My local PC shop sells a recondiitoned desktop system unit with a
legit Win 7 licence for about £70 to £80. Presumably some of that
price is for VAT.

Given I built this one, if it proves terminal, I'll build another. Why
would I pay someone else to do a simple job like that?

If you get bored building them or you want something a bit specail or you don't like windows or linux.
But then again I don;t understand why everyone doesn't buy the cheapest car on the market, why buy a car that can do 200 mph when the spped limit is 70 and in london you rarely get above 50. I can hire a car and a driver 24/7/365 .

Why do some spend £1000s on a watch, I haven't worn one since 2002.

Be interesting to know how long the warranty is. ;-)

It would be looks like I wasted applecare my imac will be 3 years old in october
and so far hasn't gone wrong at all, I haven't needed to re-install the software, I:ve only had to force restart a few times and that seeme dto be because of a USB stick that wasn't working properly. I've not had to pay for any upgrades. I feel teh same way about car computers and TV's and most products I don't want to have to DIY they should work as designed, if they don't I don't want them.
But then again for me DIY isn't something I wanted to make a living from.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Given I built this one, if it proves terminal, I'll build another. Why
would I pay someone else to do a simple job like that?

If you get bored building them or you want something a bit specail or
you don't like windows or linux. But then again I don;t understand why
everyone doesn't buy the cheapest car on the market, why buy a car that
can do 200 mph when the spped limit is 70 and in london you rarely get
above 50. I can hire a car and a driver 24/7/365 .

I'd guess you'd not understand, but assembling a PC is something that can
be done on the kitchen table. A car, a different matter. Unless you have a
very large kitchen.

But I take it if performance doesn't matter - as you seem to think with a
car - you'd be happy with the oldest PC ever made?

--
*I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Be interesting to know how long the warranty is. ;-)

It would be looks like I wasted applecare my imac will be 3 years old in
october and so far hasn't gone wrong at all

I'd hope not given the very high prices of anything with an 'i' in the
name.

But you didn't read I was asking about the warranty on a re-furbished PC,
not new?

--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 14:07:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Given I built this one, if it proves terminal, I'll build another. Why
would I pay someone else to do a simple job like that?

If you get bored building them or you want something a bit specail or
you don't like windows or linux. But then again I don;t understand why
everyone doesn't buy the cheapest car on the market, why buy a car that
can do 200 mph when the spped limit is 70 and in london you rarely get
above 50. I can hire a car and a driver 24/7/365 .

I'd guess you'd not understand, but assembling a PC is something that can
be done on the kitchen table.

Or your lap in some cases! ;-)

A car, a different matter. Unless you have a
very large kitchen.

To be fair I only let the Mrs grind the valves in in the kitchen, the
kitcar we actually built in the back yard. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/08/2017 13:50, whisky-dave wrote:

If you get bored building them or you want something a bit specail or you don't like windows or linux.
But then again I don;t understand why everyone doesn't buy the cheapest car on the market, why buy a car that can do 200 mph when the spped limit is 70 and in london you rarely get above 50.

I overtook a Lamborghini the other day. He was stuck in a lane doing
2MPH, and I was in a lane going at 4MPH. So, twice his speed!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message

But then again I don;t understand why everyone doesn't buy the cheapest car on the
market, why buy a car that can do 200 mph when the spped limit is 70 and in london
you rarely get above 50.

The more time you spend sitting in traffic jams, or in slow moving traffic, the more
attention
you're going to be paying to the interior of your car. Maybe comparing yourself with the
cars in
the other lanes. It would be even more depressing to be sitting in a cheap car with a
matching
interior while all around you are clearly sitting in comparative luxury enjoying all
those features
your car clearly lacks.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 14:11:07 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Given I built this one, if it proves terminal, I'll build another. Why
would I pay someone else to do a simple job like that?

If you get bored building them or you want something a bit specail or
you don't like windows or linux. But then again I don;t understand why
everyone doesn't buy the cheapest car on the market, why buy a car that
can do 200 mph when the spped limit is 70 and in london you rarely get
above 50. I can hire a car and a driver 24/7/365 .

I'd guess you'd not understand, but assembling a PC is something that can
be done on the kitchen table.

Why would I want to assembe a PC on a kitchen table ?

A car, a different matter. Unless you have a
very large kitchen.

The person that married by Ex used to repair and service his bike in the living room, and it;s where he kept it.

But I take it if performance doesn't matter - as you seem to think with a
car - you'd be happy with the oldest PC ever made?

I'd get one that suited me I don't go around telling porsche owners they've spent to much on their car and they could have brought one much cheaper than can do the same thing.

Not sure if you've seen the windows 10 PC advert where they have a trendy/hip school teacher (USA) that is also teaches in a rapper style and has a strange almost bee-hive hair style. Well in that ad he says "I couldn't do this on my Mac."
It makes me wonder why he has a Mac in the first place, unless he's trying to say this is the first windows PC that's I've actually been able to do something useful on.
Maybe I should ask the advertisers what they were/are getting at.
I;m betting 99.8% don't even notice what he says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDthslQMVsU

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I'd guess you'd not understand, but assembling a PC is something that
can be done on the kitchen table.

Why would I want to assembe a PC on a kitchen table ?

Sorry - forgot that sort of thing is beyond you.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Finally got some time to look at it.

After being totally powered down (unplugged) for a couple of days, it
still wouldn't go beyond the start up pic.

Unplugged the latest addition - the SSD (which was a clone of the Win7 HD,
still in place) - and it attempted to boot. But failed half way through
the Win7 boot process.

Tried again but selected the XP HD. That booted normally.

Replugged the SSD and it again attempted to boot to Win7. But again failed
half way through.

Unplugged the old Win7 HD, and everything back to normal.

So totally confused.

I use Easy BCD to allow multiple booting, and could boot from the old HD
or SSD before all this.

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Replugged the SSD and it again attempted to boot to Win7. But again failed
half way through.

What happens if you hold down the appropriate Funtion key at the start
of boot-up to get Win7 safe mode?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

Replugged the SSD and it again attempted to boot to Win7. But again failed
half way through.

What happens if you hold down the appropriate Funtion key at the start
of boot-up to get Win7 safe mode?

I did try that but it froze after loading the various bits - as it does
before safe mode.

But it's OK now.

The drive that *appeared* to be causing the problem was an IDE so probably
yonks old. The other two are SATA.

--
*IS THERE ANOTHER WORD FOR SYNONYM?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 31 August 2017 23:47:32 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I'd guess you'd not understand, but assembling a PC is something that
can be done on the kitchen table.

Why would I want to assembe a PC on a kitchen table ?

Sorry - forgot that sort of thing is beyond you.

Real DIY men would have a workshop or an area to work on not have to rely on a kitchen table as their workbench.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 September 2017 10:00:27 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Finally got some time to look at it.

After being totally powered down (unplugged) for a couple of days, it
still wouldn't go beyond the start up pic.

Unplugged the latest addition - the SSD (which was a clone of the Win7 HD,
still in place) - and it attempted to boot. But failed half way through
the Win7 boot process.

A friend had that problem he found out thatv cloning a windows 7 home edition he brought via ebay wasn't valid license wise so wouldnlt install properly.
He also found that cloning onto a larger drive didn't update certain boot sectors of the disc properly in that it didn't identify the new HD as the 1TB he brought and still consider teh OS to be on he's old 250GB drive, so it wasn't using all the space for swop files on the new drive.
He eventually got it working by NOT cloning but doing a fresh install.

This is one of the reasons we both prefer Macs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
I'd guess you'd not understand, but assembling a PC is something
that can be done on the kitchen table.

Why would I want to assembe a PC on a kitchen table ?

Sorry - forgot that sort of thing is beyond you.

Real DIY men would have a workshop or an area to work on not have to
rely on a kitchen table as their workbench.

I take it by that you have a workshop at home, then?

But more likely don't have a kitchen table.

--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, 2 September 2017 10:00:27 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Finally got some time to look at it.

After being totally powered down (unplugged) for a couple of days, it
still wouldn't go beyond the start up pic.

Unplugged the latest addition - the SSD (which was a clone of the Win7
HD, still in place) - and it attempted to boot. But failed half way
through the Win7 boot process.

A friend had that problem he found out thatv cloning a windows 7 home
edition he brought via ebay wasn't valid license wise so wouldnlt
install properly.

My Win7 is legit.

He also found that cloning onto a larger drive didn't
update certain boot sectors of the disc properly in that it didn't
identify the new HD as the 1TB he brought and still consider teh OS to
be on he's old 250GB drive, so it wasn't using all the space for swop
files on the new drive. He eventually got it working by NOT cloning but
doing a fresh install.

This is one of the reasons we both prefer Macs.

So you can run stolen software?

--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Sep 2017 17:01:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

whisky-dave wrote:
I'd guess you'd not understand, but assembling a PC is something
that can be done on the kitchen table.

Why would I want to assembe a PC on a kitchen table ?

Sorry - forgot that sort of thing is beyond you.

Real DIY men would have a workshop or an area to work on not have to
rely on a kitchen table as their workbench.

I take it by that you have a workshop at home, then?

But more likely don't have a kitchen table.

Personally I think a kitchen table would be fine for this purpose. A
workshop is likely to be more dirty.

Google Desktop Problems indexing Netscape mails hampi Metalworking 0 June 7th 05 02:08 PM
Oil, Wax or Varnish for Beeck Block Desktop? Acedrew UK diy 5 November 11th 04 09:47 PM
Desktop Dr. deb Woodworking 2 October 18th 04 02:22 PM
save up to $300 on Inspiron notebook or Desktop today Nancy Home Ownership 0 September 23rd 04 02:51 PM
Wanted: Used professional desktop lathes? Any Canadian on-line resources? shaun staples Metalworking 9 December 7th 03 10:46 PM