Acedrew

Default Oil, Wax or Varnish for Beeck Block Desktop?

I've made mayself a rather large & splendid computer desk out of a couple of
pieces of Ikea beech block kitchen worktop (its the "Pronomen" type, 27mm
thick).

Although it looks rather nice unfinished, I'm sure that over time it will
get some abuse. Therefore I'm thinking about some sort of Oil, Wax or
Varnish finish to give it some protection from the kids etc.

Anyone got any advice to offer?

I'm concerned that Oil will be unsuited to a glorified computer-desk, but am
similarly concerned that a varnish finish will look shiny and naff.

TIA

Andy

:::Jerry::::

"Acedrew" wrote in message
snip
Forgot to mention, its apparently got some sort of Oil finish already.

It seems that you have answered your own question then !

Andy Hall

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:06:04 -0000, "Acedrew"
wrote:

I've made mayself a rather large & splendid computer desk out of a couple of
pieces of Ikea beech block kitchen worktop (its the "Pronomen" type, 27mm
thick).

Although it looks rather nice unfinished, I'm sure that over time it will
get some abuse.

It would get mucky at least and anything spilled or dropped would mark
it.

Therefore I'm thinking about some sort of Oil, Wax or
Varnish finish to give it some protection from the kids etc.

Anyone got any advice to offer?

I'm concerned that Oil will be unsuited to a glorified computer-desk, but am
similarly concerned that a varnish finish will look shiny and naff.

TIA

Andy

I built something similar myself as a desk.

I also don't like shiny and naff looking gloss varnish so avoided
that.

I've used a good quality Danish Oil (Rustins) and the results are
excellent. This does have a varnish content, and means that the
desk can be wiped easily as required if it gets dirty. However, it
doesn't alter the colour substantially and does not raise the lustre
much above matt.

Also, it is very easy to apply. Sand thoroughly first - I went to
240 grit paper - and then use a tack cloth to remove any dust after
you have first vacuumed it. Apply the first coat of Danish Oil
reasonably liberally doing both sides of the wood. After about 15
minutes wipe off excess with a soft cloth. Allow to dry, preferably
overnight. Give it a very light sanding, tack off and repeat with
the oil. It will absorb less this time. Repeat until there are 5
or 6 coats - I didn't go beyond 2 on the underside.

I'm pretty pleased with the results. This isn;t a finish that is
quite as hard as a polyurethane floor varnish, but it is certainly
fine for a desk and then I don't normally walk on the desk.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Dingley

wrote:

I'm concerned that Oil will be unsuited to a glorified computer-desk, but am
similarly concerned that a varnish finish will look shiny and naff.

Screwfix's "Patina" is pretty good for this. It's a gel polyurethane,
so you can wipe it on _really_ thinly. With a single coat you get
reasonable protection, but it doesn't start to look too glossy.

--
Smert' spamionam