Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lucky escape

Last night we had an alarm up on our dishwasher due to something jamming
the drain pump. I told my wife to leave it 'til the next day, as I'd
been doing a lot and wasn't up to getting the machine out, drained and
upended to access the pump. She ignored me and a few hours later tried
it again, resulting in water pouring out over the kitchen floor and the
RCD tripping.

Naturally, we mopped up the spill (while I shouted at her!) and I
unplugged the machine. However every time I turned that ring back on,
the RCD tripped. There was no way water could have reached the sockets
(they are above the machines) and there are no junction boxes under the
floor that could have got wet, so no obvious reason for the problem.

I started to unlug anything on that ring and found the tumble-dryer's
moulded-on plug (dryer was not in use) badly melted and very hot.
Further investigation showed the pins to be bright and clean and totally
unmarked by heat. The front of the socket was also damaged, but
internally was fine. It appears that the overtemperature has been on the
fuse clips or their rivetted connections. While the body of the plug is
badly melted and distorted, the fuseholder is blackened, charred and
badly out of shape.

Both plug and socket replaced today and everything seems to be running cool.

Very odd that both events should occur simultaneously, but without the
dishwasher tripping the RCD, the tumble-dryer plug could easily have
started a fire - especially being close to a basket of already dried
clothes.

Very lucky escape.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Aug 2017 22:02:35 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

Defective Chinese plugs to blame I'll wager.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2017 22:24, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 06 Aug 2017 22:02:35 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

Defective Chinese plugs to blame I'll wager.

Unfortunately, the plug is now too melted for me to look for a country
of origin on it.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Apparently the household appliances that cause the most fires are washing
machines.
Saw that on the telly. I'd have gone for tumble dryers ........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Never seen the point of a tumble drier. Just hang the clothes
outside, or in the bathroom over the bath.

Oh do **** off Hucker!
You do not even have hot running water in your hovel. 11 cats, several
parrots, no hot running water and you can't even afford to buy disinfectant.
You must stink. No wonder you can't get a woman.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 23:28:25 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Never seen the point of a tumble drier. Just hang the clothes
outside, or in the bathroom over the bath.

Oh do **** off Hucker!
You do not even have hot running water in your hovel. 11 cats, several
parrots, no hot running water and you can't even afford to buy disinfectant.
You must stink. No wonder you can't get a woman.

I believe he's one of those psychos that are actually "proud" of their
stink.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Sun, 06 Aug 2017 23:28:56 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

What you're saying doesn't make sense.

Oh, the IRONY! tsk

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Aug 2017 23:19:32 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Very lucky escape.

SteveW

Never seen the point of a tumble drier. Just hang the clothes outside,
or in the bathroom over the bath.

What an idiot! tsk

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) deep "thinking":
"The answer is 9. The 0.5 chicken is dead, so basically it's 1 chicken
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

What you're saying doesn't make sense. Your RCD was tripping AFTER you
unplugged the dishwasher. So it would have done so even if the
dishwasher had not failed.

That's the whole point. The water caused the trip in the first place,
but it then wouldn't reset. Without that trip, I'd not have investigated
further and found the melting plug. I still have no idea why it would
not reset, as on investigation this morning, there is no problem,
despite it not resetting last night with plug removed and the socket
replaced with chocolate block.

Pure luck.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:
[...]

+1000
Pity he can't find something useful to do with his time, which will
hopefully be short.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

[...]

Ignore the Wilkinson prick, he has a degre and knows ****-all about
anything -
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/s...key/Degree.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 06 Aug 2017 23:57:34 +0100, Steve Walker

wrote:

[...]

So the RCD's a bit dodgy then?

Are you saying even with the tumble dryer disconnected, it still won't
reset? A third problem?

Not at all, he's saying that you're a prick.
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/s...key/Degree.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Steve Walker steve@walker-
family.me.uk escribió:

Unfortunately, the plug is now too melted for me to look for a country
of origin on it.

A pic would be nice for the Hall of Infamy.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So the question is, what about the dryer or its fuse got it hot? Was this
one of those dodgy look alike forg4ed fuses that Watchdog have been going
on about?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06-Aug-17 11:23 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Apparently the household appliances that cause the most fires are washing
machines.
Saw that on the telly. I'd have gone for tumble dryers ........

That is probably because 97% of households have washing machines, but
only 56% have tumble dryers. Tumble dryers could be 70% more likely to
burst into flames and still not cause as many fires.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The thing is though in order to trip a system the short has to be between
one pin and another, even a slight leakage can do it to earth for instance.
but if it was just the fuse holder that melted it would get hot but not be
anywhere near the earth pin in fact. Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
web.com...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 01:17:32 +0100, bm wrote:

Pure luck.

So the RCD's a bit dodgy then?

Are you saying even with the tumble dryer disconnected, it still won't
reset? A third problem?

Not at all, he's saying that you're a prick.
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/s...key/Degree.jpg

Like a true congenital idiot he's totally immune to how people see him. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2017 09:38, Nightjar wrote:
On 06-Aug-17 11:23 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Apparently the household appliances that cause the most fires are washing
machines.
Saw that on the telly. I'd have gone for tumble dryers ........

That is probably because 97% of households have washing machines, but
only 56% have tumble dryers. Tumble dryers could be 70% more likely to
burst into flames and still not cause as many fires.

Plus many households are still not "too posh to peg out" and dry washing
outside when weather permits, so the ratio of _use_ of WM/dryer is even
higher

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07-Aug-17 11:21 AM, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Robin
wrote:

Plus many households are still not "too posh to peg out" and dry
washing outside when weather permits, so the ratio of _use_ of
WM/dryer is even higher

SWMBO always pegs the washing out if it's dry outside. Why would one
not do that? (Assuming there's space etc)

It is quicker to put the washing into the tumble dryer.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 7 August 2017 12:16:13 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
SWMBO always pegs the washing out if it's dry outside. Why would one
not do that? (Assuming there's space etc)

It is quicker to put the washing into the tumble dryer.

And the washing's less likely to be nicked.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

He only posts here so he can get a kick from his ex-lover stalking him.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/17 12:59, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 07/08/2017 11:21, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Robin
wrote:

Plus many households are still not "too posh to peg out" and dry
washing outside when weather permits, so the ratio of _use_ of
WM/dryer is even higher

SWMBO always pegs the washing out if it's dry outside. Why would one
not do that? (Assuming there's space etc)

Laziness.

1 foot to the tumble drier. 30 ft to 'outside' and then the piigeons
**** on it.

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Aug 2017 11:21:27 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

Plus many households are still not "too posh to peg out" and dry washing
outside when weather permits, so the ratio of _use_ of WM/dryer is even
higher

SWMBO always pegs the washing out if it's dry outside. Why would one
not do that? (Assuming there's space etc)

In the case of my Brother and his Wife it is time, Self employed he
works 12 to 14 hours most days either for clients or managing his
woodland, chickens etc.
His wife is up at 6 to cook or prepare the meal for that night and do
her stint with the chickens and dogs, drives to work 10 miles away for
8 am and leaves after 5 , she then spends and hour or so attending
the needs of her geriatric father including fetching his washing back
most days after that.
Having accepted the governments and everybody elses shilling and got
some solar panels in just before the rate got dropped from around 45p
so got a good deal on them they have no qualms about using the
electric produced in the day and putting the stuff into a washer
drier and setting the timer before work so it is just finishing when
one of them returns home .
And it is predictable ,no getting up even earlier to spend 20 minutes
hanging washing to find it gets rained on mid afternoon.

The machine is in an outhouse separate from the dwelling .

Here we haven't even got one, I don't like clothes that have been
tumble dried as they never seem as fresh as wind dried ones and find
those artificial scents that are supposed to make clothes have an
odour like a spring meadow more reminiscent of an oil refinery.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Plus many households are still not "too posh to peg out" and dry
washing outside when weather permits, so the ratio of _use_ of
WM/dryer is even higher

SWMBO always pegs the washing out if it's dry outside. Why would one
not do that? (Assuming there's space etc)

It is quicker to put the washing into the tumble dryer.
and costs more, so newcomers who start to peg out trigger the reflex:

The neighbourhood's average income may be falling!

House prices may fall!!

Exterminate!!! Exterminate!!!

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/17 17:24, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

Plus many households are still not "too posh to peg out" and dry
washing outside when weather permits, so the ratio of _use_ of
WM/dryer is even higher

SWMBO always pegs the washing out if it's dry outside. Why would one
not do that? (Assuming there's space etc)

Laziness.

1 foot to the tumble drier. 30 ft to 'outside' and then the piigeons
**** on it.

Is why we have a pussy-cat on the strength.

Pussy cats can't fly.

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
On 07/08/2017 09:38, Nightjar wrote:
On 06-Aug-17 11:23 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Apparently the household appliances that cause the most fires are washing
machines.
Saw that on the telly. I'd have gone for tumble dryers ........

That is probably because 97% of households have washing machines, but
only 56% have tumble dryers. Tumble dryers could be 70% more likely to
burst into flames and still not cause as many fires.

Plus many households are still not "too posh to peg out" and dry washing
outside when weather permits, so the ratio of _use_ of WM/dryer is even
higher

And even more likely have no outside space at all.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The only logical conclusion is that water somehow got inside the
machine, tripped the RCD and when you unplugged it you found a plug
fault that would later have tripped the RCD. What ever water was inside
the machine had dried off by the time you replaced the plug.

Nice to see that lady luck (AKA an RCD) was on your side.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Aug 2017 18:45:03 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Pah! My house has fuses.

The fuse in your head blew already long time ago, Birdbrain!

--
More details from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic
"life":
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
wrote:

[...]

The plug fault was on another appliance.

Nice to see that lady luck (AKA an RCD) was on your side.

Pah! My house has fuses.

Is that the hovel with no hot running water, 11 cats and several parrots?
The stinking hovel where you cannot afford to buy disinfectant?
Come along Hucker, tell us all about the fuses in your house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote
Robin wrote

Plus many households are still not "too posh to peg out"
and dry washing outside when weather permits, so the
ratio of _use_ of WM/dryer is even higher

SWMBO always pegs the washing out if it's dry outside.
Why would one not do that? (Assuming there's space etc)

Because its more work than moving it to the dryer and it has to be
out on the line for a long time and with a soggy little frigid island
like yours, you may not even be home when it starts raining, again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

wrote:

Plus many households are still not "too posh to peg out" and dry
washing outside when weather permits, so the ratio of _use_ of
WM/dryer is even higher

SWMBO always pegs the washing out if it's dry outside. Why would one
not do that? (Assuming there's space etc)

Laziness.

1 foot to the tumble drier. 30 ft to 'outside' and then the piigeons
**** on it.

Is why we have a pussy-cat on the strength.

Pussy cats can't fly.

One of my neighbours cats did. You could see the bugger zooming
up the tree from where I normally sit and then it would fly from the
top of the tree and land on my flat metal decking roof.

No big deal when you had seen it zoom up the tree, but
can make you jump when you didnt notice it zooming.