Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lucky escape

On 07-Aug-17 5:44 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 07/08/17 17:24, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 07/08/17 12:59, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 07/08/2017 11:21, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Robin
wrote:

Plus many households are still not "too posh to peg out" and dry
washing outside when weather permits, so the ratio of _use_ of
WM/dryer is even higher

SWMBO always pegs the washing out if it's dry outside. Why would one
not do that? (Assuming there's space etc)

Laziness.

1 foot to the tumble drier. 30 ft to 'outside' and then the piigeons
**** on it.

Is why we have a pussy-cat on the strength.

Pussy cats can't fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8mdH20qTQ

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, August 6, 2017 at 10:02:37 PM UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
Last night we had an alarm up on our dishwasher due to something jamming
the drain pump. I told my wife to leave it 'til the next day, as I'd
been doing a lot and wasn't up to getting the machine out, drained and
upended to access the pump. She ignored me and a few hours later tried
it again, resulting in water pouring out over the kitchen floor and the
RCD tripping.

Naturally, we mopped up the spill (while I shouted at her!) and I
unplugged the machine. However every time I turned that ring back on,
the RCD tripped. There was no way water could have reached the sockets
(they are above the machines) and there are no junction boxes under the
floor that could have got wet, so no obvious reason for the problem.

I started to unlug anything on that ring and found the tumble-dryer's
moulded-on plug (dryer was not in use) badly melted and very hot.
Further investigation showed the pins to be bright and clean and totally
unmarked by heat. The front of the socket was also damaged, but
internally was fine. It appears that the overtemperature has been on the
fuse clips or their rivetted connections. While the body of the plug is
badly melted and distorted, the fuseholder is blackened, charred and
badly out of shape.

Both plug and socket replaced today and everything seems to be running cool.

Very odd that both events should occur simultaneously, but without the
dishwasher tripping the RCD, the tumble-dryer plug could easily have
started a fire - especially being close to a basket of already dried
clothes.

Very lucky escape.

SteveW

'Fake Britain'BBC 1 had an item on fake fuses last week.Showed video of exactly what you describe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW aXXXwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

Or a tattoo. Probably with the suspected fathers name or something.

On their forehead.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West