lyn rivers

Default For info - building regs on loo/kitchen/fire escape routes

Hi all, I've just had a reply from BCO to my query about a loo leading
off a kitchen, and whether opening up a staircase wall adjoining a
kitchen affects fire escape routes, and thought it might be of use to
someone here. This is what he says:

1. Yes, a toilet can open into a kitchen provided there is a washbasin
in the toilet.

2. The removal of a wall would need approval if it is a load bearing
wall. Also all habitable rooms on the upper storey should have windows
which allow for escape, having an un obstructed area of at least 0.33m2
and be at least 450mm high and 450mm wide and the bottom of the
openable area should be not more than 1100mm above the floor. Similarly
all ground storey rooms should open directly onto a hall or other
suitable exit or be provided with windows as before described. I would
also recommend the provision of smoke detectors within the property.

I'm assuming from this that it's ok to have stairs leading up from the
kitchen, provided that all rooms upstairs have windows big enough to
escape through. Hmmm... time to get planning... g

HTH :-)

Lyn

brugnospamsia

"lyn rivers" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

My brother has just built a kitchen extension with stairs in it. The door to
the garage is under the stairs - fire door with intumescent strip. His
upstairs windows are an easy fire escape onto grass - one of his dogs has
leapt out of it on a few occaisions ...

The rule I'm personally worried about in my case is the one about low
windows having to be made of toughened glass - the thing that makes them
excellent fire escapes may be my downfall ....I doubt Pilkington K qualifies

Exemption from building regs??? antz UK diy 4 January 14th 05 08:05 AM
Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
Query;Upvc DG and building regs tarquinlinbin UK diy 22 July 17th 04 03:20 PM
Part L Building Regs Tim Jenkins UK diy 14 June 2nd 04 01:18 PM