Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bees

Just noticed some bees flying around under the guttering of the house.
Can't see a nest and don't want one.

Any ideas on how to discourage them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/17 15:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just noticed some bees flying around under the guttering of the house.
Can't see a nest and don't want one.

Any ideas on how to discourage them?

Wait until dusk, spray some wasp/bee killer (a whole can) into any hole
you can see.

Ideally, try to see where the bees are entering first.

I used an elastic band to keep the spray going and left the can in place
while 'retiring', having bunged up the hole with a rag.

In my case it was wasps. A day or so later, I removed the rag and there
was no more activity. I then lifted the tiles after a couple of days and
cleaned out the mess. Don't rush it.

Ideally, you want a cool evening, they 'retreat' at dusk when it is cool.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2017 18:37, Brian Reay wrote:
On 22/05/17 15:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just noticed some bees flying around under the guttering of the house.
Can't see a nest and don't want one.

Any ideas on how to discourage them?

Wait until dusk, spray some wasp/bee killer (a whole can) into any hole
you can see.

Ideally, try to see where the bees are entering first.

I used an elastic band to keep the spray going and left the can in place
while 'retiring', having bunged up the hole with a rag.

In my case it was wasps. A day or so later, I removed the rag and there
was no more activity. I then lifted the tiles after a couple of days and
cleaned out the mess. Don't rush it.

Ideally, you want a cool evening, they 'retreat' at dusk when it is cool.

what's the point of that? if they are wasps they will all die come
autumn and it gets cold. If they are bees then killing them is a bit
silly.Get a beekeeper to sort it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/22/2017 3:42 PM, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just noticed some bees flying around under the guttering of the house.
Can't see a nest and don't want one.

Any ideas on how to discourage them?

What do you mean by "some"?

It won't be a swarm of honey bees unless you have a strange idea of "some".

Now that the weather has warmed up, it could be that a number of
solitary bees are finding good places up there for their burrows/nests
or whatever they are called.

No reason to get rid of them IMHO. This won't suddenly turn into a swarm.

Bees will normally leave you alone, unless you threaten them.

Wasps will be attracted to food and you might consider them a nuisance
if you have barbecues, parties outside, etc. In that case you won't want
them to build a nest inside the roof, it will start small but may grow
year on year. Normally not difficult to destroy with a DIY spray when
small. Established and "hidden" ones are probably best left to the experts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 May 2017 18:37:01 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

On 22/05/17 15:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just noticed some bees flying around under the guttering of the house.
Can't see a nest and don't want one.

Any ideas on how to discourage them?

Wait until dusk, spray some wasp/bee killer (a whole can) into any hole
you can see.

Ideally, try to see where the bees are entering first.

I used an elastic band to keep the spray going and left the can in place
while 'retiring', having bunged up the hole with a rag.

In my case it was wasps. A day or so later, I removed the rag and there
was no more activity. I then lifted the tiles after a couple of days and
cleaned out the mess. Don't rush it.

Ideally, you want a cool evening, they 'retreat' at dusk when it is cool.

Do that with bees and leave even the smallest opening and the nest will be
robbed out for its honey by bees from elsewhere, who then carry a small amount
of the poison back, which then poisons that hive and before you know it there
are dead bees all around the vicinity and some very ****ed off beekeepers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2017 15:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just noticed some bees flying around under the guttering of the house.
Can't see a nest and don't want one.

Any ideas on how to discourage them?

Might they be masonry bees? I'm pretty sure I had some when I took down
a partition - some dopey alive, a few dead. I was told they were
basically harmless, and to let them, er, be.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2017 15:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just noticed some bees flying around under the guttering of the house.
Can't see a nest and don't want one.

Any ideas on how to discourage them?

Leave them bee.
If it's around the guttering, even if they're wasps they'll not cause a
problem as you'll not inadvertently disturb them.

Wasps are a bit tetchy with regards to what they consider an attack IME
and most of the time it's accidental disturbance of their secret nest
entrance.

Live with them and give yourself a pat on the back from mother nature
for allowing them to set up home for a very short while in your
loft/cavity wherever they just want to do bee things and we should be
helping them not destroying them for no reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 22/05/2017 15:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just noticed some bees flying around under the guttering of the
house. Can't see a nest and don't want one.

Any ideas on how to discourage them?

Leave them bee.
If it's around the guttering, even if they're wasps they'll not cause
a problem as you'll not inadvertently disturb them.

Wasps are a bit tetchy with regards to what they consider an attack
IME and most of the time it's accidental disturbance of their secret
nest entrance.

Live with them and give yourself a pat on the back from mother nature
for allowing them to set up home for a very short while in your
loft/cavity wherever they just want to do bee things and we should be
helping them not destroying them for no reason.

I had a load of bees setting up home in my loft last year.
I killed them all.
They can live where they like, but not in my house.
Your Mother Nature can also **** off with her bloody spiders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2017 15:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just noticed some bees flying around under the guttering of the house.
Can't see a nest and don't want one.

Any ideas on how to discourage them?

I'll tell you about last weeks stupid client and "her" bees.

I said to her"BTW you have a bees best in your bird box at the back of
the garage"

I discovered this when drilling through the garage wall to fit a dusk
till dawn sensor.

She then said "That might explain why I see a lot of bees, Ill have to
get someone in to get rid of them"

About 20 minutes later the next door but one neighbour came around (she
had seen my van and wanted a price for an outside socket).

I went around and this neighbour had bee hives not bees nests in her
garden. I pointed out to the my client that that is probably where the
bees are coming from and she replied "does she know that sees has got
bees, and do you think I should offer to go halves with her to get rid
of them?"

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote

Just noticed some bees flying around under the guttering of the house.
Can't see a nest and don't want one.

Any ideas on how to discourage them?

I spray them with flyspray and they **** off or die.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"critcher" wrote in message
news
[...]

Lot quicker to kill them yourself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message news

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
[...]

I'm waiting for the day you find out you have an incurable painful condition
so that I may **** myself laughing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well how nice, Bees are quite persecuted enough, surely?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
DerbyBorn wrote
Just noticed some bees flying around under the guttering of the house.
Can't see a nest and don't want one.

Any ideas on how to discourage them?

I spray them with flyspray and they **** off or die.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2017 07:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well how nice, Bees are quite persecuted enough, surely?
Brian

I can't understand why people are so nasty to bees. They only do good
and are not interested in hurting people unless to protect themselves
from violent humans.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Well how nice, Bees are quite persecuted enough, surely?

Mosquitoes and flys are much more persecuted, and they deserve it too.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
DerbyBorn wrote
Just noticed some bees flying around under the guttering of the house.
Can't see a nest and don't want one.

Any ideas on how to discourage them?

I spray them with flyspray and they **** off or die.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message
On 23/05/2017 07:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well how nice, Bees are quite persecuted enough, surely?

I can't understand why people are so nasty to bees.

Because a bee hive in your house has a few downsides.

They only do good

Thats even sillier than you usually manage.

and are not interested in hurting people unless to protect themselves from
violent humans.

And in turning your house into a bee hive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2017 08:36, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 23/05/2017 07:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well how nice, Bees are quite persecuted enough, surely?

I can't understand why people are so nasty to bees.

Because a bee hive in your house has a few downsides.

They only do good

Thats even sillier than you usually manage.

and are not interested in hurting people unless to protect themselves
from violent humans.

And in turning your house into a bee hive.

Hmm, we've always encouraged bees into our gardens and have never had a
bee hive in or on the house.
We deliberately plant flowers that the bees prefer. They never bother us.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2017 06:44, Richard wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message news

I'm waiting for the day you find out you have an incurable painful
condition so that I may **** myself laughing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message
On 23/05/2017 07:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well how nice, Bees are quite persecuted enough, surely?

I can't understand why people are so nasty to bees.

Because a bee hive in your house has a few downsides.

They only do good

Thats even sillier than you usually manage.

and are not interested in hurting people unless to protect themselves
from violent humans.

And in turning your house into a bee hive.

Hmm,

Humming aint gunna save your bacon now, boy.

we've always encouraged bees into our gardens and have never had a bee
hive in or on the house.

Plenty of others have, including me.

We deliberately plant flowers that the bees prefer. They never bother us.

Thats because you lot stink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
[...]

Don't we all have that and it's called life ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message
On 23/05/2017 07:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well how nice, Bees are quite persecuted enough, surely?

I can't understand why people are so nasty to bees.

Because a bee hive in your house has a few downsides.

They only do good

Thats even sillier than you usually manage.

and are not interested in hurting people unless to protect themselves
from violent humans.

And in turning your house into a bee hive.

Hmm, we've always encouraged bees into our gardens and have never had a
bee hive in or on the house.
We deliberately plant flowers that the bees prefer. They never bother us.

I've had several stings from bees and wasps in my life. I therefore kill any I see.

--
What's red and sits in the corner?
A baby chewing on razor blades.

What's blue and sits in the corner?
A baby in a plastic bag.

What's green and sits in the corner?
The same baby a month later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/22/2017 7:51 PM, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

Wasps will be attracted to food and you might consider them a nuisance
if you have barbecues, parties outside, etc. In that case you won't
want them to build a nest inside the roof, it will start small but may
grow year on year.

No it won't. A wasps' nest only lasts a season, not even a year.
Construction starts in the spring and the nest is inhabited until the
frost kills them all off. Nests are not reused (not by wasps, anyway).

Only the queens survive, they hibernate over winter in places such as
your attic.

So where do the monsters come from then? Surely they are not built in a
single season? I had always *assumed* they were added to year on year by
a queen which had hibernated nearby on the basis that it was a safe
site. I'm happy to be proved wrong. I've seen pictures of ones inside a
loft with a sort of "tunnel" to the outside. Easy to see how that might
be re-used. Maybe it is a different wasp.

I'm not sure how big they can get in a single season, most of the ones I
have seen have been golf ball sized with only a couple of dozen cells.

Do wasps from different nests fight? When you have a dozen or so around
a pub garden, do they all come from the same nest?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/22/2017 7:54 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2017 19:40:47 +0100, newshound
wrote:

Wasps will be attracted to food and you might consider them a nuisance
if you have barbecues, parties outside, etc. In that case you won't want
them to build a nest inside the roof, it will start small but may grow
year on year.

A wasp nest only lasts for one year. In the late summer and through
into autumn, the worker wasps and old queen all die leaving only the
young queens who find somewhere to hibernate (usually in your trousers
hanging in the wardrobe!). They re-appear in the spring and make a new
nest somewhere else. They don't return to the old nest; it doesn't get
re-used.

I looked it up, I was wrong; but apparently they will sometimes start a
new nest adjacent to or inside an old one. And they can produce 8000 in
a season (but I think most are much smaller).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Streater Wrote in message:
In article , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
wrote:

Wasps are a bit tetchy with regards to what they consider an attack IME
and most of the time it's accidental disturbance of their secret nest
entrance.

I managed to stop the lawnmower right over a wasps' nest entrance - I'd
been distracted by a glider landing in the field just behind our house.
Biggles then needed to know who owned the field so he could get
permission to be rescued, only after dealing with that did I notice
where I'd stopped. They didn't seem bothered, although I did return
later to cement their friendship by putting some readymix down the
entrance hole.

Readymix? How big was this hole?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Totally persecuted. Last night I found out that bees are nesting in my
parents garden.

My Mother wants shut of then "the grandkids will not be able to play in
the garden" type of stuff
Dad "They can, just not near the bees nest, leave the bees alone and
tell the kids to keep clear of the nest"
Mum "What if they get stung"
Dad "It'll teach then to keep clear of the bees nest and do as they are
told"

On 23/05/2017 07:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well how nice, Bees are quite persecuted enough, surely?
Brian

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
news
Totally persecuted. Last night I found out that bees are nesting in my
parents garden.

My Mother wants shut of then "the grandkids will not be able to play in
the garden" type of stuff
Dad "They can, just not near the bees nest, leave the bees alone and tell
the kids to keep clear of the nest"
Mum "What if they get stung"
Dad "It'll teach then to keep clear of the bees nest and do as they are
told"

With genes like that, its no surprise how you ended up {-(

On 23/05/2017 07:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well how nice, Bees are quite persecuted enough, surely?
Brian

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 20:29, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 18:27:48 +0100, ARW
wrote:

Totally persecuted. Last night I found out that bees are nesting in my
parents garden.

My Mother wants shut of then "the grandkids will not be able to play in
the garden" type of stuff
Dad "They can, just not near the bees nest, leave the bees alone and
tell the kids to keep clear of the nest"
Mum "What if they get stung"
Dad "It'll teach then to keep clear of the bees nest and do as they are
told"

Are you/they sure they're bees and not wasps?

Is that a rhetorical question?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/17 17:53, Chris Hogg wrote:

A beehive can contain 50,000 bees, all produced in a single season.
Actually, more like half a season, as that's the peak number,
mid-season. And at that time of year there's a big turnover in
numbers, as they only live about six weeks. They work themselves to
death. Bees that over-winter last about six months, but there's far
fewer of them and they don't have to do any work.

Do they claim benefit?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 21:52, Chris Hogg wrote:

wrote:

Totally persecuted. Last night I found out that bees are nesting in my
parents garden.

My Mother wants shut of then "the grandkids will not be able to play in
the garden" type of stuff
Dad "They can, just not near the bees nest, leave the bees alone and
tell the kids to keep clear of the nest"
Mum "What if they get stung"
Dad "It'll teach then to keep clear of the bees nest and do as they are
told"

Are you/they sure they're bees and not wasps?

Is that a rhetorical question?

No. Judging by what gets put up on the TV when they're discussing
bees, many people don't know the difference.

I don't have a TV:-)

Deffo bees. Ill have a look and see what species they are later this weekend

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/05/2017 15:47, Chris Hogg wrote:

wrote:

Totally persecuted. Last night I found out that bees are nesting in my
parents garden.

My Mother wants shut of then "the grandkids will not be able to play in
the garden" type of stuff
Dad "They can, just not near the bees nest, leave the bees alone and
tell the kids to keep clear of the nest"
Mum "What if they get stung"
Dad "It'll teach then to keep clear of the bees nest and do as they are
told"

Are you/they sure they're bees and not wasps?

Is that a rhetorical question?

No. Judging by what gets put up on the TV when they're discussing
bees, many people don't know the difference.

I don't have a TV:-)

Deffo bees. Ill have a look and see what species they are later this weekend

If they're big and furry and living in an old mouse hole or hole in a
wall, they're bumble bees, which are pretty docile and reluctant to
sting (unless stepped on, barefoot DAMHIKT!). OTOH if they're in a
hollow tree or old shed or outhouse, they could be honey bees, who
might be a bit more aggressive. The bumbles can happily be left to
their own devices, but the honey bees would be best dealt with by a
beekeeper.

They might even be solitary bees, in which case ignore them
completely. Most are incapable of stinging.

Thanks for that. They are nesting in a "Robin" bird box ie one with a
letterbox shaped entrance.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2017 16:45, ARW wrote:

Thanks for that. They are nesting in a "Robin" bird box ie one with a
letterbox shaped entrance.

I have a bee identification chart here so if you can post a picture I
might be able to identify it.

I now know that some bees look almost the same as wasps so don't assume
its a wasp just because its got bright yellow stripes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2017 17:17, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 27 May 2017 16:45:10 +0100, ARW
wrote:

Thanks for that. They are nesting in a "Robin" bird box ie one with a
letterbox shaped entrance.

Hmm...could be honey bees, but they usually size up the space
available and go for something rather larger than a bird box. I'd
guess bumbles.

Bumbles was also my Dad's suggestion. He is happy to leave them alone -
just let nature be as it should be.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thanks for that. They are nesting in a "Robin" bird box ie one with a
letterbox shaped entrance.

Hmm...could be honey bees, but they usually size up the space
available and go for something rather larger than a bird box. I'd
guess bumbles.

Bumbles was also my Dad's suggestion. He is happy to leave them alone -
just let nature be as it should be.

Common sense prevails.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 20:42, Rod Speed wrote:

news

https://bumblebeeconservation.org/ab...-and-children/

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thanks for that. They are nesting in a "Robin" bird box ie one with a
letterbox shaped entrance.

Hmm...could be honey bees, but they usually size up the space
available and go for something rather larger than a bird box. I'd
guess bumbles.

Bumbles was also my Dad's suggestion. He is happy to leave them alone
- just let nature be as it should be.

Common sense prevails.

And the bees are bumbles and they are staying:-)

There are not that many of them. Of course it was Bank Holiday Monday
and ****ing it down when I called in for a look.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 May 2017 18:28:57 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 27/05/2017 16:45, ARW wrote:

Thanks for that. They are nesting in a "Robin" bird box ie one with a
letterbox shaped entrance.

I have a bee identification chart here so if you can post a picture I
might be able to identify it.

There was a TV program on last night where someone who'd had a car scrape yard had just left it for years and it'd over grown into a wildlife type sanctuary, he showed a wasp spider that I;d never seen and that was new to him and a bee he hadnlt seen before it had a largish brown body loked a bit triangluar in shape (and no it wasnlt a toblerone bee !) and a long probosus which it used on the flowers rather than spend much time landing on the, but the program never said what sort of bee it was, I'd never seen this type either.

I now know that some bees look almost the same as wasps so don't assume
its a wasp just because its got bright yellow stripes.

That's what the spider had.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2017 13:55, whisky-dave wrote:

There was a TV program on last night where someone who'd had a car scrape yard had just left it for years and it'd over grown into a wildlife type sanctuary, he showed a wasp spider that I;d never seen and that was new to him and a bee he hadnlt seen before it had a largish brown body loked a bit triangluar in shape (and no it wasnlt a toblerone bee !) and a long probosus which it used on the flowers rather than spend much time landing on the, but the program never said what sort of bee it was, I'd never seen this type either.

The program was Springwatch and that was a "bee fly"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombyliidae

- not a bee at all. We get loads here (Hampshire). They are amazingly agile.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , LSR
scribeth thus
On 31/05/2017 13:55, whisky-dave wrote:

There was a TV program on last night where someone who'd had a car scrape yard

had just left it for years and it'd over grown into a wildlife type sanctuary,
he showed a wasp spider that I;d never seen and that was new to him and a bee he
hadnlt seen before it had a largish brown body loked a bit triangluar in shape
(and no it wasnlt a toblerone bee !) and a long probosus which it used on the
flowers rather than spend much time landing on the, but the program never said
what sort of bee it was, I'd never seen this type either.

The program was Springwatch and that was a "bee fly"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombyliidae

- not a bee at all. We get loads here (Hampshire). They are amazingly agile.

We've got some Mason bees in the office wall here. A Low humming noise
can be heard most of the day, but they seem as bees are to be rather
busy.

Sometimes they fly in the office door and have to be shepherded out
again silly sods!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Totally persecuted. Last night I found out that bees are nesting in my
parents garden.

My Mother wants shut of then "the grandkids will not be able to play in
the garden" type of stuff
Dad "They can, just not near the bees nest, leave the bees alone and
tell the kids to keep clear of the nest"
Mum "What if they get stung"
Dad "It'll teach then to keep clear of the bees nest and do as they are
told"

Are you/they sure they're bees and not wasps?

What would you rather, be or a wasp?