Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Bees

On 5/22/2017 7:54 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2017 19:40:47 +0100, newshound
wrote:

Wasps will be attracted to food and you might consider them a nuisance
if you have barbecues, parties outside, etc. In that case you won't want
them to build a nest inside the roof, it will start small but may grow
year on year.

A wasp nest only lasts for one year. In the late summer and through
into autumn, the worker wasps and old queen all die leaving only the
young queens who find somewhere to hibernate (usually in your trousers
hanging in the wardrobe!). They re-appear in the spring and make a new
nest somewhere else. They don't return to the old nest; it doesn't get
re-used.

I looked it up, I was wrong; but apparently they will sometimes start a
new nest adjacent to or inside an old one. And they can produce 8000 in
a season (but I think most are much smaller).