Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default tree roots coming out of shower

I have had roots coming out of the downstairs shower. After removing the
drain grate, the roots are not inside the drain pipe, but outside in the
crevice between the PVC and concrete. I stopped using downstairs bathroom
several weeks ago so no moisture would feed the roots. I also cut down
2 trees on that side of the house. I have sprayed those roots in the
shower with glyphosate once a week, but they still advance.
I guess it is coming from the jungle in the neighbour's yard. I have
dug around the drain junction outside the bathroom, but can't see any
roots there, so the must be deep down at that point.

So, is there anything to kill those roots that is not harmful to humans
or concrete?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sure you don't have Japanese Knot weed?
to my mind if its already around the pipework its only a matter of time
before it leaks anyway. Might be best to get it investigated sooner rather
than later.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
wrote in message
I have had roots coming out of the downstairs shower. After removing the
drain grate, the roots are not inside the drain pipe, but outside in the
crevice between the PVC and concrete. I stopped using downstairs bathroom
several weeks ago so no moisture would feed the roots. I also cut down
2 trees on that side of the house. I have sprayed those roots in the
shower with glyphosate once a week, but they still advance.
I guess it is coming from the jungle in the neighbour's yard. I have
dug around the drain junction outside the bathroom, but can't see any
roots there, so the must be deep down at that point.

So, is there anything to kill those roots that is not harmful to humans
or concrete?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I hope not for his sake. More information he
https://www.ricsfirms.com/articles/how-to-deal-with-japanese-knotweed/

But it could just be invasive roots from trees, or some large shrubs.
The RHS has a good information page on those. See
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=225

--

Jeff

On 18/03/17 05:07, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Sure you don't have Japanese Knot weed?
to my mind if its already around the pipework its only a matter of time
before it leaks anyway. Might be best to get it investigated sooner rather
than later.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes
On 18/03/2017 06:43, Graeme wrote:

Suggest you contact your buildings insurers who will, or should, arrange
remedial work and, if the roots are indeed from your neighbour's
property, contact him for reimbursement, via his insurers.

+1
I don't think you can just pour a bit of stuff on and assume there's no
lasting damage elsewhere.

We had a similar situation a few years ago, although in our case, the
roots had entered the drain. I initially contacted 'Drain Doctor'
people who fed a camera through the drain, to confirm the situation.

I then contacted my insurer who reimbursed the cost of the initial
inspection, then arranged a contractor who dug up and repaired the
drains.

My financial involvement was the policy excess only - the contractor was
paid directly by the insurer. The insurer did mention contacting the
neighbour, but whether or not that actually happened, I have no idea.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2017 08:55, Martin Brown wrote:
On 18/03/2017 02:49, wrote:
I have had roots coming out of the downstairs shower. After removing the
drain grate, the roots are not inside the drain pipe, but outside in the
crevice between the PVC and concrete. I stopped using downstairs bathroom
several weeks ago so no moisture would feed the roots. I also cut down
2 trees on that side of the house. I have sprayed those roots in the
shower with glyphosate once a week, but they still advance.

Glyphosate won't get them. It has to applied to green plant material
that will photosythesise. Copper sulphate and/or ammonium sulphamate
might stop them and weaken them but you really need to worry about how
they got into the drain in the first place. If you kill the roots then
the foul drains will certainly leak where the root penetrated.

I guess it is coming from the jungle in the neighbour's yard. I have
dug around the drain junction outside the bathroom, but can't see any
roots there, so the must be deep down at that point.

So, is there anything to kill those roots that is not harmful to humans
or concrete?

A contact weedkiller that is absorbed by the roots. But you should
probably be talking to your house insurer rather than DIY.

Which will mean ever escalating premiums even if they do nothing.
Just contacting them could make it difficult to switch
insurers in future.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew
writes
On 18/03/2017 08:55, Martin Brown wrote:
But you should
probably be talking to your house insurer rather than DIY.

Which will mean ever escalating premiums even if they do nothing.
Just contacting them could make it difficult to switch
insurers in future.

Not for something like roots. Mention subsidence and you are right, but
not for relatively minor claims. In recent years we have claimed for
root damage as mentioned, and another claim, around 14k for snow/ice
damage to our roof and have had no problem with subsequent renewals
either with the same or alternative insurers.

--
Graeme

tree roots and my basement leza wang Home Repair 30 May 28th 13 12:50 AM
tree roots news Home Repair 4 April 29th 07 09:20 PM
Want to See What Tree Roots Are Doing to Foundation Mike Home Repair 5 April 19th 06 02:58 AM
Tree Roots from neighbor's tree causing sewer problem Keller, TX??? mscraven Home Repair 2 December 27th 05 12:06 AM
Tree roots ~~Phil~~ Home Repair 2 August 29th 05 07:46 PM