Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Printer

On 05/03/17 21:09, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 03/03/2017 08:01, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:

Just spend the money
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Color-La...dp/B00TON9YK6/

That's exactly the model I bought when I got bored with clogged jets.

How are you finding consumable costs?

I decided I wasn't going to print enough for it to matter.

So far I am on the original toner.

Andy

If you buy HP toner a full set will cost you over £300

http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/CF40X-PACK.html

Cheaper to buy a new printer.

Or for compatible refills: £89.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ANQUV2W?psc=1

Some difference huh?

I've run about 4 packs of paper through mine and its getting low.

Never sure if the 'supplied with new' toner is in fact only one third
full ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

Just spend the money
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Color-La...dp/B00TON9YK6/

That's exactly the model I bought when I got bored with clogged jets.

How are you finding consumable costs?

I decided I wasn't going to print enough for it to matter.

So far I am on the original toner.

Andy

If you buy HP toner a full set will cost you over £300

http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/CF40X-PACK.html

Cheaper to buy a new printer.

Or for compatible refills: £89.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ANQUV2W?psc=1

Some difference huh?

I've run about 4 packs of paper through mine and its getting low.

Never sure if the 'supplied with new' toner is in fact only one third
full ...

Or less. They're called starter cartridges iirc.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

Just spend the money
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Color-La...dp/B00TON9YK6/

That's exactly the model I bought when I got bored with clogged jets.

How are you finding consumable costs?

I decided I wasn't going to print enough for it to matter.

So far I am on the original toner.

Andy

If you buy HP toner a full set will cost you over £300

http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/CF40X-PACK.html

Cheaper to buy a new printer.

Or for compatible refills: £89.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ANQUV2W?psc=1

Some difference huh?

I've run about 4 packs of paper through mine and its getting low.

Never sure if the 'supplied with new' toner is in fact only one third
full ...

I just looked at the printers web page.

It reckons 1000 pages of black only and 617 pages with some color.

The black is 30%, the colors yellow and cyan are 10% and magenta is 30%.

So if we go for a mixed bunch of sort of some black and white, some
black and white with a splash of color and some more or less 4 color
brochures, which is what it's had, then its around 300 quid for 1200
pages, or 25p a page using HP toner, or with sane refills, £90 for 1200
pages, around 7.5p a page.

Maybe more maybe less.

Plus of course paper costs. But bog standard A4 is less than a penny a
sheet.

Rymans do full color starting at 80-90p for an A4 full color sheet.

http://www.ryman.co.uk/digital-printing

1000 printed sheets at Rymans will cost you more than the printer and
the paper together.

If you only do black and white of course, then you only need to replace
the black cartridge at about 1/4 the cost.

What this boils down to is - excluding the printer actual cost which is
negligible compared with toner in the long run, you are looking at around

2-3p a black and white page, or
8p for a color page rising up to
25p or more using HP branded toner
80-90p for as color page printed 'professionally' by a high street
retail outlet

Even if you simply buy the printer, print 1000 copies and throw it away,
that's around £0.14p a page

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-M252n-La.../dp/B00TON9WSU

You can do your own sums on alternatives, but I have found that since
the initial gulp of paying the price for these machines is swallowed,
they provide very reliable service at a predictable cost.

Frankly color doesn't come cheap.

If all you want is B&W get an old refurbised HP laserjet

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

Just spend the money
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Color-La...dp/B00TON9YK6/

That's exactly the model I bought when I got bored with clogged jets.

How are you finding consumable costs?

I decided I wasn't going to print enough for it to matter.

So far I am on the original toner.

Andy

If you buy HP toner a full set will cost you over £300

http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/CF40X-PACK.html

Cheaper to buy a new printer.

Or for compatible refills: £89.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ANQUV2W?psc=1

Some difference huh?

I've run about 4 packs of paper through mine and its getting low.

Never sure if the 'supplied with new' toner is in fact only one third
full ...

Or less. They're called starter cartridges iirc.

I am not so sure in this case. The refurbed cartridges say 'up to 2800
pages' and I've got over 1000 already on the originals. Some of those
were full page full color pages too - a brochure run I did for a mate.

NT

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

[...]

Your printing prices are way out. The first random company picked:
http://www.cheapestprintonline.co.uk...y-nodesign.php
1000x A5 single sided full colour 130gsm £22. So at most £44 for A4, or 4.4p a page.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

[...]

Have you actually ever had a job printed at 'the cheapest possible price'

Hint: dont.

PS I was talking low volumes. Obviously if you are doing 1000 you wont
be using a home laser printer. In fact at 1000 I would be looking at
offset litho.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 March 2017 13:35:00 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/03/17 09:07, tabbypurr wrote:

Your printing prices are way out. The first random company picked:
http://www.cheapestprintonline.co.uk...y-nodesign.php
1000x A5 single sided full colour 130gsm £22. So at most £44 for A4, or 4.4p a page.

Have you actually ever had a job printed at 'the cheapest possible price'

We've done it many times. It's been fine all times bar one.

Hint: dont.

PS I was talking low volumes. Obviously if you are doing 1000 you wont
be using a home laser printer. In fact at 1000 I would be looking at
offset litho.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/1/2017 9:55 PM, Martin Brown wrote:
On 01/03/17 09:44, Chris Green wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 01/03/17 08:17, Bert Coules wrote:

How do colour laser printers, especially lower-cost ones, compare
with
inkjets for producing photo-quality prints on good glossy paper?

MUCH better

Not true. At least if you want high gloss finish on the print.

While I would not claim it is exhibition quality, running a domestic
colour laser print through a laminator gives a pretty good imitation of
a glossy "print". Probably also true even of cheap inkjets (but I
normally use the laser for photos).

Modern inkjets and lasers don't show the "banding" on images which used
to be the instant way to tell they were not wet chemistry.

OT HP printer help ? OT Terry Coombs[_2_] Metalworking 12 March 30th 15 05:01 PM
3D printer Doug Winterburn Woodworking 3 September 20th 14 02:52 PM
(OT) Printer David UK diy 43 December 7th 12 11:59 AM
HP Printer Dick Electronics Repair 4 March 13th 07 03:33 PM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM