Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default (OT) Printer

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a reliable all-in-one printer, (hopefully) one that
does not 'read' cartridge serial numbers to enable the use of compatibles ?

Thanks

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a reliable all-in-one printer, (hopefully) one that
does not 'read' cartridge serial numbers to enable the use of compatibles
?

Thanks

David

Laser or inkjet? I assume you mean injet when you said "cartridge" - but...
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message ...

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a reliable all-in-one printer, (hopefully) one that
does not 'read' cartridge serial numbers to enable the use of compatibles
?

I use an Epson BX300F which is happy with £4.00 cartridges I buy from a
market stall.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 11:53, Tim Watts wrote:
David wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a reliable all-in-one printer, (hopefully) one that
does not 'read' cartridge serial numbers to enable the use of compatibles
?

Thanks

David

Laser or inkjet? I assume you mean injet when you said "cartridge" - but...

I'm not that bothered, either way as long as it can reproduce colour and
is relatively small, not like an office printer.

Thanks

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a reliable all-in-one printer, (hopefully) one that
does not 'read' cartridge serial numbers to enable the use of
compatibles
?

Thanks

David

Laser or inkjet? I assume you mean injet when you said "cartridge" -
but...

I'm not that bothered, either way as long as it can reproduce colour and
is relatively small, not like an office printer.

Samsung CLX 3305 (or 3305FN if you want fax and network connectivity).

Its a colour laser - so cheap to run (compared to an inkjet), no
clogging, head cleaning etc to worry about, and produces remarkably
decent looking photographic output even on plain paper. A full set of
toners will set you back the cost of three sets of inkjet carts, but
they will print twenty times the pages.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 11:47, David wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a reliable all-in-one printer, (hopefully) one that
does not 'read' cartridge serial numbers to enable the use of
compatibles ?

The only time that should be a problem is if you are refilling ink
cartridges yourself. If you buy a compatible cartridge that is listed by
the vendor as suitable for your printer, there is no reason to expect it
will not work.

The things to watch for are that there is a delay between a new
cartridge type coming out and the compatibles becoming available and
that Epson fit their cartridges with chips with that have hidden
features. The result of the second is that compatibles that have been
working perfectly well on previous printers won't work on a newer model,
even though it takes the same Epson ink cartridge. There is then a delay
before a revised version of their chip that will work is available from
the compatible manufacturers. Neither is a problem unless you want the
very latest model of printer.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

[...]

Thanks John, sounds ideal.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 12:17, Muddymike wrote:
"David" wrote in message ...

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a reliable all-in-one printer, (hopefully) one
that does not 'read' cartridge serial numbers to enable the use of
compatibles ?

I use an Epson BX300F which is happy with £4.00 cartridges I buy from a
market stall.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

There are a few peeps that have trouble with carts not being recognised
though.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus
David wrote:

[...]

We've just scrapped the Canon Inkjet we had purely on the high running
costs, the carts were tiny and hardly lasted anytime at all.

We now have the HP 8600 on the network. It has its faults and throws a
wobbly with paper feeding sometimes, but very cheap on running and carts
are a decent refill-able size!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 13:39, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

Thanks Colin,

I have been having a lot of trouble with the Lexmark Prospect SE Pro 208.

The device states that the cartridges are empty when they are not,
replacement compatibles did work then stopped, now the bleeding thing
says that there is a problem with the printhead even if the original
carts are put back in .... It reads the cart serial number and records
the useage.

I cannot even scan a bleeding document now, I'm currently waiting for
'support' to respond.

I only print about 50 sides a year, if that.

Thanks

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(snip)

We've just scrapped the Canon Inkjet we had purely on the high running
costs, the carts were tiny and hardly lasted anytime at all.

We now have the HP 8600 on the network. It has its faults and throws a
wobbly with paper feeding sometimes, but very cheap on running and carts
are a decent refill-able size!...

Thanks Tony,

sounds good, we usually go for HP, but were seduced by the 5 year
warranty and 'XL' carts that came with the Lexmark.

Most of the printing I've done seem to be test pages :-(

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 03/12/2012 14:11, David wrote:
[...]

I just recently bought a HP 1050 just basic but does the job for me. £35
at Tesco.
One thing I always check for on google or Utube is if the cartridges can
be refilled as I do my own. I probably get around 6 carts worth using
tesco ink for around £6.
You should also be able to google if you can get a work around for any
chips.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Samsung CLX 3305 (or 3305FN if you want fax and network connectivity).

Its a colour laser - so cheap to run (compared to an inkjet), no
clogging, head cleaning etc to worry about, and produces remarkably
decent looking photographic output even on plain paper. A full set of
toners will set you back the cost of three sets of inkjet carts, but
they will print twenty times the pages.

That looks interesting.

I am looking for a colour laser all-in-one and HP are getting worse reviews
for poor build quality recently.

This - or it's fat sister the CLX-6220FX that handles duplex are both
interesting.

John - have you run the scanning on the CLX 3305 from a linux client over
the network? If that doesn't work, it then will have to have scan2smtp email
which the CLX-6220FX *I think* does, but the 3305 does not mention in the
web specs.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tony sayer
writes
In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus
David wrote:

[...]

Have you had any problems with the HP Control Centre software over the
network?

We got an HP 4500 series all in one networked colour inkjet (HP 4550 I
think) to use as a low volume backup to a colour laser and it has been a
total ball-ache.

First, the software takes an absolute age to install, in these days,
30mins per machine (3 networked plus another roaming lappy on wifi) is
totally unnecessary and out of order for a few drivers and a bit of
support software.

Second, I chose it so we could all use the scanner as a networked
resource but the software/driver is so badly written that each machine
grinds to a halt for 5s every minute while it polls (yes polls) the
printer for some reason (100% cpu for the duration, known bug, no fix
planned). To avoid this meant installing the printer on USB on one
machine with only remote printing available to all machines and scanning
only on one.

Third, it is a budget model but everything is soooo slow, it seems to
wait about, thinking for ages before it does anything. Press a scan
button and you think it is broken as it takes so long to open the
scanning popup on the connected computer.

In summary, absolutely dire although compatible (print head included)
carts are available at quite reasonable prices.

To modify the old IBM adage I figured no-one would get fired for buying
an HP printer but I have felt like binning it more than once and paying
the loss myself. In my eyes they have slipped badly from the Laserjet 4
days and I wouldn't have one again.

John's suggestion of the Samsung looks interesting but there doesn't
appear to be any compatible toner available yet, hopefully it will be
available soon. 45quid for a 1000 page colour cart means it's not quite
in Dell 1320C territory yet (now discontinued and not an all in one I
know).
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
[...]

I have the HP Photosmart C7180 All -in-one.
Bought from PC World over 5 years ago for 38 quid. The young saleman ****ed
up big time. I paid cash and got out the door as fast as I could.
The original carts warned me of date expired. I ignored it. Eventually it
would print **** all.
The copy carts are £4.99 each and they work fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David :
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a reliable all-in-one printer, (hopefully) one
that does not 'read' cartridge serial numbers to enable the use of
compatibles ?

Go for a laser instead. I have a Xerox 6015N and it's very good.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , tony sayer
writes
In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus
David wrote:

[...]

I bought a Samsung Colour Laser, about £130 at the time. I do very little
printing so its suits me.
Bewa The colour toner cartridges supplied are only about a third full.
The cost of replacing them totals around £200, or it did when I did the
calcs. Also be wary of pressing the wrong button or you'll get a full page
full colour test print.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 16:08, mark wrote:
"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , tony sayer
writes
In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus
David wrote:

[...]

With the 3305 you can get the carts for around £35/each - so about £140
a full set. The Mono cart is bigger and does about 1500 pages (colour 1k).

It does ship with "starter" (i.e. not full) carts - but they are not
taking the pee quite as much on those since they are half full and good
for 700/500 mono/colour.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 15:20, Tim Watts wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Samsung CLX 3305 (or 3305FN if you want fax and network connectivity).

Its a colour laser - so cheap to run (compared to an inkjet), no
clogging, head cleaning etc to worry about, and produces remarkably
decent looking photographic output even on plain paper. A full set of
toners will set you back the cost of three sets of inkjet carts, but
they will print twenty times the pages.

That looks interesting.

I am looking for a colour laser all-in-one and HP are getting worse reviews
for poor build quality recently.

This - or it's fat sister the CLX-6220FX that handles duplex are both
interesting.

John - have you run the scanning on the CLX 3305 from a linux client over
the network?

Not tried the Linux drivers for it, but since I have a customer's
machine sat behind me as I type I could give it a go if you want...

If that doesn't work, it then will have to have scan2smtp email
which the CLX-6220FX *I think* does, but the 3305 does not mention in the
web specs.

There is not a massive amount of sophistication available on its front
panel - but looking at the (non network) version I have here it has Scan
to PC, and Scan to USB (i.e. a flash drive plugged straight in to the
printer) - its probably not got the UI sophistication on the printer to
make tapping in email addresses easy.

The windows software allows typical TWAIN style scanning and "pull"
scans. I expect (but have not verified yet) that it can also push a scan
to a CIFS/SMB network folder on the network version.

(I have a feeling if I were buying one for me, I would go for a slightly
posher model than the base one)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 14:11, David wrote:

I only print about 50 sides a year, if that.

IME inkjets are a PITA for that volume... you use most of your ink
unclogging the thing!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

[...]

CLX-4195FN might be more up your street (no duplex though)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 17:01, John Rumm wrote:
On 03/12/2012 14:11, David wrote:

I only print about 50 sides a year, if that.

IME inkjets are a PITA for that volume... you use most of your ink
unclogging the thing!

I haven't regretted my decision to go mono laser at home and upload
colour to Aldi or whoever. I took 3 or 4 inkjets to the tip and have
never looked back. I think I stamped on them first, which was strangely
therapeutic
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 3, 11:47*am, David wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a reliable all-in-one printer, (hopefully) one that
does not 'read' cartridge serial numbers *to enable the use of compatibles ?

Thanks

David

There is a website about this matter that tells how to circumvent this
problem. Different for different manufacturers.
I'll see if I can find it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 14:11, David wrote:
I have been having a lot of trouble with the Lexmark Prospect SE Pro 208.

The device states that the cartridges are empty when they are not,
replacement compatibles did work then stopped, now the bleeding thing
says that there is a problem with the printhead even if the original
carts are put back in .... It reads the cart serial number and records
the useage.

Lexmark printers used to keep a record of the last two sets of
cartridges fitted, so having three sets would allow you to keep
refilling and reusing the same ones. It is a couple of years since I
sold my ink cartridge business, so I don't know if that is still true.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 17:01, John Rumm wrote:
On 03/12/2012 14:11, David wrote:

I only print about 50 sides a year, if that.

IME inkjets are a PITA for that volume... you use most of your ink
unclogging the thing!

For printers with the print head in the cartridge, like Lexmark and HP,
taking the cartridges out and wrapping them in cling film can help avoid
clogging for low volume users.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We now have the HP 8600 on the network. It has its faults and throws a
wobbly with paper feeding sometimes, but very cheap on running and carts
are a decent refill-able size!...

Have you had any problems with the HP Control Centre software over the
network?

We just used the basic printer driver that was on their website and when
we specify which mode to connect hit network and it finds it and
connects and just works..

Thats a long as she hasn't got a paper feed strop on;!..

If you want to see what's going on just use the web browser to gain
access..

We got an HP 4500 series all in one networked colour inkjet (HP 4550 I
think) to use as a low volume backup to a colour laser and it has been a
total ball-ache.

First, the software takes an absolute age to install, in these days,
30mins per machine (3 networked plus another roaming lappy on wifi) is
totally unnecessary and out of order for a few drivers and a bit of
support software.

Thats ridiculously long, have you tried their basic drivers they do what
you need and just that..

Second, I chose it so we could all use the scanner as a networked
resource but the software/driver is so badly written that each machine
grinds to a halt for 5s every minute while it polls (yes polls) the
printer for some reason (100% cpu for the duration, known bug, no fix
planned). To avoid this meant installing the printer on USB on one
machine with only remote printing available to all machines and scanning
only on one.

!..

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought a Samsung Colour Laser, about £130 at the time. I do very little
printing so its suits me.
Bewa The colour toner cartridges supplied are only about a third full.
The cost of replacing them totals around £200, or it did when I did the
calcs. Also be wary of pressing the wrong button or you'll get a full page
full colour test print.

mark

I have heard an Inkjet refill shop say that a lot of makers ones aren't
quite as full as they might be;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/12 17:29, stuart noble wrote:
On 03/12/2012 17:01, John Rumm wrote:
On 03/12/2012 14:11, David wrote:

I only print about 50 sides a year, if that.

IME inkjets are a PITA for that volume... you use most of your ink
unclogging the thing!

I haven't regretted my decision to go mono laser at home and upload
colour to Aldi or whoever. I took 3 or 4 inkjets to the tip and have
never looked back. I think I stamped on them first, which was strangely
therapeutic

i've not regretted a SOHO class color laser.,
Have a scanner,. but mostly I take photographs unless its very critical
to get sizes right.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tony sayer
writes
We now have the HP 8600 on the network. It has its faults and throws a
wobbly with paper feeding sometimes, but very cheap on running and carts
are a decent refill-able size!...

Have you had any problems with the HP Control Centre software over the
network?

We just used the basic printer driver that was on their website and when
we specify which mode to connect hit network and it finds it and
connects and just works..

Thats a long as she hasn't got a paper feed strop on;!..

If you want to see what's going on just use the web browser to gain
access..

I really wanted to take advantage of the one touch scanning features and
figured that I wouldn't get them without the control centre installed.

Throwing a pile of A4 at the document feeder and hitting scan is one of
my main uses for it.

I figure with basic drivers I would be limited to regular twain type
scanning.

We got an HP 4500 series all in one networked colour inkjet (HP 4550 I
think) to use as a low volume backup to a colour laser and it has been a
total ball-ache.

First, the software takes an absolute age to install, in these days,
30mins per machine (3 networked plus another roaming lappy on wifi) is
totally unnecessary and out of order for a few drivers and a bit of
support software.

Thats ridiculously long, have you tried their basic drivers they do what
you need and just that..

They clearly have something wrong in the setup, I copied the setup CD to
a drive, turned off AV and it still took ages.

See above, I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that one touch scanning
wouldn't work with just basic drivers and that I'd need to use twain.
With the panel installed, setting up of button functions is done
remotely and then uploaded to the printer. With multiple comps on the
net there were options on the printer to set the destination eg Scan
colour Select resolution Select destination Start.

Do you use anything like that?

Second, I chose it so we could all use the scanner as a networked
resource but the software/driver is so badly written that each machine
grinds to a halt for 5s every minute while it polls (yes polls) the
printer for some reason (100% cpu for the duration, known bug, no fix
planned). To avoid this meant installing the printer on USB on one
machine with only remote printing available to all machines and scanning
only on one.

!..

Quite.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

See above, I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that one touch scanning
wouldn't work with just basic drivers and that I'd need to use twain.
With the panel installed, setting up of button functions is done
remotely and then uploaded to the printer. With multiple comps on the
net there were options on the printer to set the destination eg Scan
colour Select resolution Select destination Start.

Do you use anything like that?

Ah!, think we might be at cross purposes here. The Canon unit was an all
in one unit but the HP is just a printer. We use a couple of Canon
single plate scanners around 30 quid from Dixons or similar places.!

We don't use FAX anymore we can but seeing the scan and attach to
e-mails is the prime paper communications medium these days ...

Second, I chose it so we could all use the scanner as a networked
resource but the software/driver is so badly written that each machine
grinds to a halt for 5s every minute while it polls (yes polls) the
printer for some reason (100% cpu for the duration, known bug, no fix
planned). To avoid this meant installing the printer on USB on one
machine with only remote printing available to all machines and scanning
only on one.

!..

Quite.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tony sayer
writes
See above, I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that one touch scanning
wouldn't work with just basic drivers and that I'd need to use twain.
With the panel installed, setting up of button functions is done
remotely and then uploaded to the printer. With multiple comps on the
net there were options on the printer to set the destination eg Scan
colour Select resolution Select destination Start.

Do you use anything like that?

Ah!, think we might be at cross purposes here. The Canon unit was an all
in one unit but the HP is just a printer. We use a couple of Canon
single plate scanners around 30 quid from Dixons or similar places.!

Are you sure it's an 8600, when I search for HP 8600 I get nothing but
all in ones eg:

www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/printers/product-detail.html?oid=4323650

which sort of explains the confusion.

We don't use FAX anymore we can but seeing the scan and attach to
e-mails is the prime paper communications medium these days ...

I keep fax for sending complaints ;-)
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , fred scribeth thus
In article , tony sayer
writes
See above, I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that one touch scanning
wouldn't work with just basic drivers and that I'd need to use twain.
With the panel installed, setting up of button functions is done
remotely and then uploaded to the printer. With multiple comps on the
net there were options on the printer to set the destination eg Scan
colour Select resolution Select destination Start.

Do you use anything like that?

Ah!, think we might be at cross purposes here. The Canon unit was an all
in one unit but the HP is just a printer. We use a couple of Canon
single plate scanners around 30 quid from Dixons or similar places.!

Are you sure it's an 8600, when I search for HP 8600 I get nothing but
all in ones eg:

This is what's writ on the front of it...

HP Officejet Pro k8600

www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/printers/product-detail.html?oid=4323650

No thats totally different!,. Perhaps the "K" makes the difference. You'd have
thought they could have used a different number;!..

Well they one we have is a few years olde now ISTR we bought it in 2007 or
thereabouts as it has A3 capability..

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/pr...ml?oid=3434448

which sort of explains the confusion.

We don't use FAX anymore we can but seeing the scan and attach to
e-mails is the prime paper communications medium these days ...

I keep fax for sending complaints ;-)

;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/12 09:15, tony sayer wrote:
[...]

blimey. Its been years since I sent a fax scanned on a scanner and fed
to a fax modem..

These days I send em on dead trees by recorded delivery.

;!...

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.macfh.co.uk/Macfarlane/Re...t/DudLust.html

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 17:29:38 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

I took 3 or 4 inkjets to the tip and have
never looked back. I think I stamped on them first, which was strangely
therapeutic

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 17:01, John Rumm wrote:
On 03/12/2012 14:11, David wrote:

I only print about 50 sides a year, if that.

IME inkjets are a PITA for that volume... you use most of your ink
unclogging the thing!

This is what I have found, now you mention it.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 17:29, stuart noble wrote:
On 03/12/2012 17:01, John Rumm wrote:
On 03/12/2012 14:11, David wrote:

I only print about 50 sides a year, if that.

IME inkjets are a PITA for that volume... you use most of your ink
unclogging the thing!

I haven't regretted my decision to go mono laser at home and upload
colour to Aldi or whoever. I took 3 or 4 inkjets to the tip and have
never looked back. I think I stamped on them first, which was strangely
therapeutic

I have a history of jumping on things that get me annoyed, I thoroughly
agree it is therapeutic, and expensive.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2012 16:07, Mike Barnes wrote:
David :
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a reliable all-in-one printer, (hopefully) one
that does not 'read' cartridge serial numbers to enable the use of
compatibles ?

Go for a laser instead. I have a Xerox 6015N and it's very good.

I think I will be, now.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
[...]

The Epson I had insisted on issuing a warning prompt which required a
response every time you went to print when using a "compatible"
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:44:05 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

http://www.macfh.co.uk/Macfarlane/Re...t/DudLust.html

Looking at some of the other entries, what a whinging arse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 18:58:21 +0000, David wrote:

I haven't regretted my decision to go mono laser at home and upload
colour to Aldi or whoever. I took 3 or 4 inkjets to the tip and have
never looked back. I think I stamped on them first, which was strangely
therapeutic

I have a history of jumping on things that get me annoyed, I thoroughly
agree it is therapeutic, and expensive.

I can't stand bad tech **** - it gets despatched with extreme gusto
when it's let me down for the Nth time; such N being a number arrived
at relating to the mood, frequency, weather, food, warmth. Last week I
thoroughly trashed a fan heater which had finally ****ed me right off.
It had lasted a good decade though; so its time was finally up.

HP Printer Dick Electronics Repair 4 March 13th 07 03:33 PM
Need printer/plotter [email protected] Metalworking 10 March 15th 06 06:09 AM
Parallel Printer Tap? Jeff Caspari Electronics 5 March 8th 06 03:32 PM
Epson printer with Ink dry! Anthony Electronics Repair 27 April 29th 04 07:01 AM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM