Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building control rules for lintel/RSJ over new doorway

What is 'building control reportable' for a new doorway? I.e. is
there a width below which you don't need to involve building control?

My daughter is turning a small adjacent bathroom into an en-suite and
thus wants to make a new doorway between bedroom and [new] bathroom.
It's not going to have a door in it but it will be about door size.
It's in a brick wall which is part of the structure of the house,
though it's internal, obviously!

While I'm about it how much involvement of building control would be
involved in repositioning the WC which will require a new downpipe (we
think)?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2017 13:50, Chris Green wrote:
What is 'building control reportable' for a new doorway? I.e. is
there a width below which you don't need to involve building control?

My daughter is turning a small adjacent bathroom into an en-suite and
thus wants to make a new doorway between bedroom and [new] bathroom.
It's not going to have a door in it but it will be about door size.
It's in a brick wall which is part of the structure of the house,
though it's internal, obviously!

While I'm about it how much involvement of building control would be
involved in repositioning the WC which will require a new downpipe (we
think)?

Building Control will certainly want to know about a new doorway in a
structural wall - even single door width in an internal wall.

As far as moving the toilet is concerned, they won't be interested in
anything above ground[1] but they will be interested if you need to make
any new connections to the underground sewer.

[1] Having said that, there are certain restrictions about where you can
have toilets adjacent to eating areas, etc.

It would be a good idea to discuss what you want to do with your local
BCO. I've always found them very helpful. They would far rather help
people to get it right in the first place rather than needing to take
enforcement action after it's been done wrongly.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Thanks Roger.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 February 2017 14:03:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
What is 'building control reportable' for a new doorway? I.e. is
there a width below which you don't need to involve building control?

My daughter is turning a small adjacent bathroom into an en-suite and
thus wants to make a new doorway between bedroom and [new] bathroom.
It's not going to have a door in it but it will be about door size.
It's in a brick wall which is part of the structure of the house,
though it's internal, obviously!

While I'm about it how much involvement of building control would be
involved in repositioning the WC which will require a new downpipe (we
think)?

--
Chris Green
·

Don't tell them bugger all.
Just go ahead and do it.
It's trivial.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
What is 'building control reportable' for a new doorway? I.e. is
there a width below which you don't need to involve building control?

My daughter is turning a small adjacent bathroom into an en-suite and
thus wants to make a new doorway between bedroom and [new] bathroom.
It's not going to have a door in it but it will be about door size.
It's in a brick wall which is part of the structure of the house,
though it's internal, obviously!

While I'm about it how much involvement of building control would be
involved in repositioning the WC which will require a new downpipe (we
think)?

They will not be interested in either of those things.

Just use a normal metal corrugated door lintel like this:

http://assets.jewson.co.uk/product-i.../Main/2000.jpg

Cheap as chips and you can get them from the sheds if the BM is closed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/17 18:27, Phil L wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
What is 'building control reportable' for a new doorway? I.e. is
there a width below which you don't need to involve building control?

My daughter is turning a small adjacent bathroom into an en-suite and
thus wants to make a new doorway between bedroom and [new] bathroom.
It's not going to have a door in it but it will be about door size.
It's in a brick wall which is part of the structure of the house,
though it's internal, obviously!

While I'm about it how much involvement of building control would be
involved in repositioning the WC which will require a new downpipe (we
think)?

They will not be interested in either of those things.

Just use a normal metal corrugated door lintel like this:

http://assets.jewson.co.uk/product-i.../Main/2000.jpg

Cheap as chips and you can get them from the sheds if the BM is closed.

Or even a plain concrete one, which is what I did.

Main thing is to get a decent overlap (I like = 6") on each side.

You'd be amazed at two lintels I've seen - 1" on each end!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 24/02/17 18:27, Phil L wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

just use a bit of old railway line ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/17 19:40, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 24/02/17 18:27, Phil L wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

I owned a bit of old railway line (flat bottomed profile).

If you can lift a 1m length over your head to install it, I ain't
arguing with you in a dark alleyway!