Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default estimated building costs for Building Control application

In order to file my building control papers I need to know the
estimated cost of the work (the BC fee depends on this). Even if I
DIY most of it the fee is still based o nthe commercial cost of doing
the work.

Can anyone suggest a good place to get acceptable (to BC) estimates
per square metre for simple jobs such as

"rebuild a single story external wall"
"lift floorbaords and install insulation under"
"remove concrete floor and install suspended timber floor with
insulation"
"replace slate monopitch roof".

I have to do this for each of the "thermal units" I intend to
interfere with :-(

For example, would Brinkley's "house builder's bible" be a good book
to buy?

many thanks for any suggetsions,

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 15, 1:48 pm, RobertL wrote:
In order to file my building control papers I need to know the
estimated cost of the work (the BC fee depends on this). Even if I
DIY most of it the fee is still based o nthe commercial cost of doing
the work.

Can anyone suggest a good place to get acceptable (to BC) estimates
per square metre for simple jobs such as

"rebuild a single story external wall"
"lift floorbaords and install insulation under"
"remove concrete floor and install suspended timber floor with
insulation"
"replace slate monopitch roof".

I have to do this for each of the "thermal units" I intend to
interfere with :-(

For example, would Brinkley's "house builder's bible" be a good book
to buy?

many thanks for any suggetsions,

Robert

Ping Hugo Nebula!!

don;t think Brinkley would really define what to put

Materials are easy to cost - rest of what you describe is labour -
just estimate how long it would take to do each job as quick as poss.
"a la pro" and then round it all down as low as poss - some scribbles
on A4 would be nice to brandish if queried...
NB They can always ask you to up it but doubt they will as long as
you;re not taking the P - the last thing they will want to be bothered
with is calculating their version for arguing with you....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thank you for help people. I'll get beeny and see what she has to
say and also see how different it is from my guesstimate. As was
remarked I only have to get it roughly right as the bands are very
large.

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 15, 1:48*pm, RobertL wrote:
In order to file my building control papers I need to know the
estimated cost of the work (the BC fee depends on this). *Even if I
DIY most of it the fee is still based o nthe commercial cost of doing
the work.

Can anyone suggest a good place to get acceptable (to BC) estimates
per square metre for simple jobs such as

"rebuild a single story external wall"
"lift floorbaords and install insulation under"
"remove concrete floor and install suspended timber floor with
insulation"
"replace slate monopitch roof".

Cambridge BC charge a fixed rate (100 quid) for renovation of a
thermal element (up to 20K of work).

Are you sure your council don't do similar?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2011 16:00, RobertL wrote:

thank you for help people. I'll get beeny and see what she has to
say and also see how different it is from my guesstimate. As was
remarked I only have to get it roughly right as the bands are very
large.

Robert

Indeed. When I had my garage converted into a kitchen (not DIY) I
consulted a BCO before submitting a Building Notice, and he said "most
garage conversion come in (specified, forget which) band. I plucked a
figure out of the air, near the top of that band and paid the fee based
on that figure. In the event, the actual cost was considerably more -
but no-one questioned the original figure.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 05:48:11 -0800 (PST), a certain
chimpanzee, RobertL , randomly hit the keyboard
and wrote:

In order to file my building control papers I need to know the
estimated cost of the work (the BC fee depends on this).

Our council currently charges a fixed price of ~£127-£130 (can't
remember exactly) for the renovation of each thermal element.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2011 20:26, Roger Mills wrote:
On 15/02/2011 16:00, RobertL wrote:

thank you for help people. I'll get beeny and see what she has to
say and also see how different it is from my guesstimate. As was
remarked I only have to get it roughly right as the bands are very
large.

Indeed. When I had my garage converted into a kitchen (not DIY) I
consulted a BCO before submitting a Building Notice, and he said "most
garage conversion come in (specified, forget which) band. I plucked a
figure out of the air, near the top of that band and paid the fee based
on that figure. In the event, the actual cost was considerably more -
but no-one questioned the original figure.

When I did a reasonably large DIY building project a few years back I
put in a costing which took it just into a low band - admittedly I was
trying it on a bit - and I did get it questioned. So I recosted it to a
random number into the next band, and that was that!

David

building costs Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 7 April 8th 09 09:51 AM
Control Building Costs with Web-Based Project Management KMcKnight Home Ownership 0 January 2nd 07 05:45 PM
Building costs SteveB Home Repair 3 October 17th 05 02:59 PM
Building costs David Martel Home Repair 1 October 16th 05 08:41 PM
Building control in two stages - full plans / building notice [email protected] UK diy 5 September 27th 05 10:17 AM