Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to measure / photograph Lintel for Buidling Control

Following on from my post "Opening a wall and installing a lintel" I've
decided to offer my builder one more chance of turning up!!

Anyway I phoned building control to enquire if they needed to inspect the
work in progress. They told me photographs would be okay as long as I
included some sort of measure in the pictures to show how far the lintel was
in!!

Anyone know what I should be photographing? Apart from the lintel
obviously!!

cheers
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the wall is standard bricks or blocks and hasn't been plastered yet then
a photo (ideally taken square on) showing the insert depth and a few blocks
should be fine. You could quote the block height and width just for clarity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
If the wall is standard bricks or blocks and hasn't been plastered yet
then a photo (ideally taken square on) showing the insert depth and a few
blocks should be fine. You could quote the block height and width just for
clarity.

Thanks.
Its a cavity wall so I take it a picture of the inner lintel won't be
required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:27:02 +0100, Stuart Barrie wrote:

Anyone know what I should be photographing? Apart from the lintel
obviously!!

Sounds like BC would like a tape measure in the picture showing the
distance the lintel is in.

Do you get a discount on the BC fee if a BC officer doesn't actually make
a site visit?

oinkflapoinkflap...
--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:27:02 +0100, Stuart Barrie wrote:

Anyone know what I should be photographing? Apart from the lintel
obviously!!

Sounds like BC would like a tape measure in the picture showing the
distance the lintel is in.

Do you get a discount on the BC fee if a BC officer doesn't actually make
a site visit?

oinkflapoinkflap...

That's a good point ;o)
Although in their defence we told them it might be getting done over the
weekend!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Anyone know what I should be photographing? Apart from the lintel
obviously!!

Sounds like BC would like a tape measure in the picture showing the
distance the lintel is in.

Surely the bricks would show that?

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Barrie wrote:
Anyway I phoned building control to enquire if they needed to inspect the
work in progress. They told me photographs would be okay

That's a new one on me! Is this common practice nowadays?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:27:02 +0100, Stuart Barrie wrote:

Following on from my post "Opening a wall and installing a lintel" I've
decided to offer my builder one more chance of turning up!!

Anyway I phoned building control to enquire if they needed to inspect
the work in progress. They told me photographs would be okay as long as
I included some sort of measure in the pictures to show how far the
lintel was in!!

Anyone know what I should be photographing? Apart from the lintel
obviously!!

cheers
Stuart.

==================================
If you're using standard 4" x 3" (70mm x 100mm) lintels they probably
want a view of the size of the 'bearings' - i.e. the length of the
lintel which sits on the supporting brickwork at each end, which should
be a minimum of 150mm / 6" each end.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Barrie" wrote in message
news
Following on from my post "Opening a wall and installing a lintel" I've
decided to offer my builder one more chance of turning up!!

Anyway I phoned building control to enquire if they needed to inspect the
work in progress. They told me photographs would be okay as long as I
included some sort of measure in the pictures to show how far the lintel
was
in!!

Anyone know what I should be photographing? Apart from the lintel
obviously!!

cheers
Stuart.

Blimey !,
5 minutes in photoshop and you could get anything passed !!