miey

Default Help needed. Building an arched doorway

Hi,
A little off subject I know but I always get a great response from
this group. I want to widen a doorway and arch it out. I know that
products are available to form the arch but I can't see it being that
difficult to make the arch out of scraps lying around the shop and
then dry walling over it.Plus, as always, I want to save a couple of
bob. Any help and suggestions appreciated.
Mike

dadiOH

miey wrote:
Hi,
A little off subject I know but I always get a great response from
this group. I want to widen a doorway and arch it out. I know that
products are available to form the arch but I can't see it being that
difficult to make the arch out of scraps lying around the shop and
then dry walling over it.Plus, as always, I want to save a couple of
bob. Any help and suggestions appreciated.
Mike

Around here, builders make the vertical arch sides of ply, fill in under
with short pieces of 2x4, 1/4 drywall on the 2x4 pieces.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

John

Easiest is probably to widen the door way then make a plywood insert
with the arch you want, face the curved arch with the bendable
plywood, install between/over the studs and then skimcoat with
spackling OR put a thin piece of drywall over the plywood

John

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:43:38 GMT, miey wrote:

Hi,
A little off subject I know but I always get a great response from
this group. I want to widen a doorway and arch it out. I know that
products are available to form the arch but I can't see it being that
difficult to make the arch out of scraps lying around the shop and
then dry walling over it.Plus, as always, I want to save a couple of
bob. Any help and suggestions appreciated.
Mike

Hi Mike,
I have done this before. It consisted of 3 arches. Center one ,1 ft taller than the 2 sides. Came out very strong. It replaced a wall that to my surprise had contained a double pocket door I found during demo. This was done on the bottom floor of a triple decker. Not a bit of movement in the five years I remained living there.

Figure the radius you want for the inside and don't forget the sheetrock covering it. Using 2X4 or 6 (whatever). Score a cut at a depth approx 1/2 the thickness of the stud at the desired radius from the end of the workpeice. Clamp to a true flat surface (lathe bed). Raise peice up until the sawcut closes up and you will get the spacing for the sawcuts you just made 1 of, to acheive the radius you desire.

When I did this, I left 1 1/2 ft of straight stick below and put a half lap to marry the rest of the upright to.

--
The Little Old Man, Working in His Shop