Lena

Default "Gas on glass" hobs - opinions ?

I am currently remodelling the kitchen and need to buy a gas hob. I am
considering "gas on glass" models. However somebody told me that such hobs
are very delicate, they scratch easily and are difficult to clean.
Is it true? Would a stainless steel hob be a better choice?

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks,
Lena

Tim Mitchell

In article , Lena
writes
I am currently remodelling the kitchen and need to buy a gas hob. I am
considering "gas on glass" models. However somebody told me that such hobs
are very delicate, they scratch easily and are difficult to clean.
Is it true? Would a stainless steel hob be a better choice?

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks,
Lena

They do scratch easily, but then stainless steel probably scratches more
easily. I was looking at one too when redoing our kitchen, ended up with
a Neff stainless one which looked to be easier to clean as the base tray
is one formed piece of stainless with no corners for muck to get stuck
in. The gas on glass ones I was looking at had various bits stuck on the
glass which looked like dirt traps to me.
--
Tim Mitchell
Mary Fisher

"Lena" wrote in message
I am currently remodelling the kitchen and need to buy a gas hob. I am
considering "gas on glass" models.

Why are you considering it?

(not being judgemental or critical!)

Mary

However somebody told me that such hobs
are very delicate, they scratch easily and are difficult to clean.
Is it true? Would a stainless steel hob be a better choice?

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks,
Lena

Lena

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

Why are you considering it?

(not being judgemental or critical!)

Mary

Mainly for esthetical reasons.

Lena

Mary Fisher

"Lena" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

Why are you considering it?

(not being judgemental or critical!)

Mary

Mainly for esthetical reasons.

Hmm. I believe that durability is more important than aesthetics for such a
piece of equipment. I don't like the look of black coloured kitchen
equipment (or anything else, it's dowdy and sucks out the light) but had to
compromise when buying our cooker last year, simply to get the best
all-round one which did the job I wanted it to do despite being black.

Mary

Lena

Grunff

Mary Fisher wrote:

Hmm. I believe that durability is more important than aesthetics for such a
piece of equipment. I don't like the look of black coloured kitchen
equipment (or anything else, it's dowdy and sucks out the light) but had to
compromise when buying our cooker last year, simply to get the best
all-round one which did the job I wanted it to do despite being black.

Gotta say, I'm a big fan of stainless hobs. As long as you can accept
that it won't retain a perfect brushed finish (not if you use it, at any
rate), they're very easy to keep clean.

--
Grunff
Lena

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

Hmm. I believe that durability is more important than aesthetics for such

piece of equipment. I don't like the look of black coloured kitchen
equipment (or anything else, it's dowdy and sucks out the light) but had

compromise when buying our cooker last year, simply to get the best
all-round one which did the job I wanted it to do despite being black.

Mary

I agree with you. That's why I need advice. If it turns out that glass hobs
are too delicate, I'll compromise and buy something else.
But, you know, glass hobs don't have to be black. They come in other colors
too: silver, gray. Take a look at that one:
http://www.merloni.com/Ariston/catal...uctLineCode=10
Doesn't it look nice?

Lena

Mary Fisher

"Lena" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

Hmm. I believe that durability is more important than aesthetics for

such
piece of equipment. I don't like the look of black coloured kitchen
equipment (or anything else, it's dowdy and sucks out the light) but

had
compromise when buying our cooker last year, simply to get the best
all-round one which did the job I wanted it to do despite being black.

Mary

I agree with you. That's why I need advice. If it turns out that glass

hobs
are too delicate, I'll compromise and buy something else.
But, you know, glass hobs don't have to be black. They come in other

colors
too: silver, gray. Take a look at that one:

LOL! I've no idea what colour they come in! I don't think I've ever seen one

My hob is black enamelled, the 'steadies' are black cast iron. Even trhe
sides of the carcase are black, I didn't realise that until Spouse fitted
it. It's not 'built in' but stands behind the door. To even get it there
meant re-'designing' the 'kitchen'.

I wouldn't have thought that the glass was delicate, modern glass products
are amazing. But even knowng that I suspect I'd be very careful not to bang
down my cast iron pans!

http://www.merloni.com/Ariston/catal...uctLineCode=10
Doesn't it look nice?

Don't know, all I got was a blank page.

I suspect that's what my reaction would have been anyway g

You ARE wise to ask about others' experiences, I did. Then I ignored them.
But what was said certainly made me think more about what I was spending
£1,000 on ...

Mary

Lena

Mary Fisher

"Lena" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

Just had a thought, why not ask on uk.food+drink.misc. They're an
experienced and knowledgeable and friendly lot. Mostly :-)

I'm serious though.

Mary

Capitol

Interesting question. We moved from a SS hob to an enamelled one many years
ago and found that it was much easier to clean. However, look at the
continental units, they have wider colour ranges and do combined
gas/electric hobs which are IMO far superior to the standard, low quality,
either gas or electric hobs which are de rigeur in the UK market. A day trip
to Calais can be very enlightening.

Regards
Capitol

David W.E. Roberts

"Lena" wrote in message
[...]

Severely minimalist :-))

However if you go to http://www.merloni.com/Ariston/catalogue/it/ and click
on 'piani cottura' then you should get there O.K.

You can also go to http://www.merloni.com/Ariston/catalogue/fr and look at
'tables de cuisson' if you are more comfortable in French than Italian.

Strangely, there doesn't seem to be a UK site.

Cheers

Dave R

Peter Parry

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:53:57 +0100, "Lena"
wrote:

I am currently remodelling the kitchen and need to buy a gas hob. I am
considering "gas on glass" models.

From the pictures I can only assume that the designers eat at
McDonalds and have never cooked in their lives.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Richard Savage

Lena wrote:

I am currently remodelling the kitchen and need to buy a gas hob. I am
considering "gas on glass" models. However somebody told me that such hobs
are very delicate, they scratch easily and are difficult to clean.
Is it true? Would a stainless steel hob be a better choice?

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks,
Lena

I understand from my Mother that those solid electric hobs that have the
heating elements buried in the ceramic with circles marking out the heated
areas are very susceptible to pitting from jam splashes (and presumably any
hot sugar mixtures). See replaced one for this reason with a more
conventional electric hob. I suspect that the 'gas on glass' hobs are not so
vulnerable as the pots don't actually sit on the glass surface which I think
was the cause of the pitting on my Mother's hob.

We've chosen the NEFF 900mm x 5 burner hob that is available in SS or 'gas on
glass' because a friend who is a professional chef has one at home - his is
the stainless steel version for the same reasons as above.

Rgds Richard

S Viemeister

Steve Firth wrote:

Yup, if one is serious about cooking then there is a good assortment of
commercial equipment out there. Most of it looking good in a rugged
industrial way. We have a fairly basic range cooker in the kitchen, and
recently some of my wife's friends have been asking where we got it rom
because they want to buy the same. sigh It's so difficult to be a
trend setter.

Well? Which one do you have, and where did yuou get it?

Sheila