Richard Savage

Default "Gas on glass" hobs - opinions ?

Lena wrote:

I am currently remodelling the kitchen and need to buy a gas hob. I am
considering "gas on glass" models. However somebody told me that such hobs
are very delicate, they scratch easily and are difficult to clean.
Is it true? Would a stainless steel hob be a better choice?

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks,
Lena

I understand from my Mother that those solid electric hobs that have the
heating elements buried in the ceramic with circles marking out the heated
areas are very susceptible to pitting from jam splashes (and presumably any
hot sugar mixtures). See replaced one for this reason with a more
conventional electric hob. I suspect that the 'gas on glass' hobs are not so
vulnerable as the pots don't actually sit on the glass surface which I think
was the cause of the pitting on my Mother's hob.

We've chosen the NEFF 900mm x 5 burner hob that is available in SS or 'gas on
glass' because a friend who is a professional chef has one at home - his is
the stainless steel version for the same reasons as above.

Rgds Richard