Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Door bell - and I mean 'BELL'

Some years ago I installed a Byron door bell that is a bell, not a chime, and you can hear it all over the house.

New neighbours have put in a request for me to do the same for them, and their house is significantly larger than mine. But Byron have been bought over and the SX15 battery wireless door BELL is no longer available.

Anyone know of particularly loud wireless chimes or a wireless bell?

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.actiononhearingloss.org....duct-a272.aspx

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 09:10:58 -0800, Rob Graham wrote:

Some years ago I installed a Byron door bell that is a bell, not a
chime, and you can hear it all over the house.

New neighbours have put in a request for me to do the same for them, and
their house is significantly larger than mine. But Byron have been
bought over and the SX15 battery wireless door BELL is no longer
available.

Anyone know of particularly loud wireless chimes or a wireless bell?

I have a couple of brand new Byron bells (the butler sort)!

And a bell pull..with cord and pulleys.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 09:10:58 -0800, Rob Graham wrote:

Some years ago I installed a Byron door bell that is a bell, not a
chime, and you can hear it all over the house.

New neighbours have put in a request for me to do the same for them, and
their house is significantly larger than mine. But Byron have been
bought over and the SX15 battery wireless door BELL is no longer
available.

Anyone know of particularly loud wireless chimes or a wireless bell?

BTW...on a DIY note.

Our bell push activates all of the phones in the house ringing with a
special cadence. We never miss the bell now, but getting to the door
before the ParcelForce man runs away is another story.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If its electronic it must be capable of feeding its output to something
else like an amp I'd have thought.
I think some bells and intercoms can have multiple bell pushes and multiple
remote handsets or stations. I'd imagine it would be more expensive.
Another thing to think about is sites that sell items for the hard of
hearing of course.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Rob Graham" wrote in message
Some years ago I installed a Byron door bell that is a bell, not a chime,
and you can hear it all over the house.

New neighbours have put in a request for me to do the same for them, and
their house is significantly larger than mine. But Byron have been bought
over and the SX15 battery wireless door BELL is no longer available.

Anyone know of particularly loud wireless chimes or a wireless bell?

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
If its electronic it must be capable of feeding its output to something
else like an amp I'd have thought.
I think some bells and intercoms can have multiple bell pushes and multiple
remote handsets or stations. I'd imagine it would be more expensive.
Another thing to think about is sites that sell items for the hard of
hearing of course.

The ideal would be a base station with a simple relay on its output. That
would allow you to use a sounder of your choice. You can still buy the
'normal' underdome bell from TLC, etc.

--
*Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-01-17, Rob Graham wrote:
Some years ago I installed a Byron door bell that is a bell, not a chime,
and you can hear it all over the house.

New neighbours have put in a request for me to do the same for them, and
their house is significantly larger than mine. But Byron have been
bought over and the SX15 battery wireless door BELL is no longer
available.

Anyone know of particularly loud wireless chimes or a wireless bell?

The "own brand" chimes I bought in Wickes are pretty loud. You get one
mains sounder and one battery sounder. Choice of 4 chimes (IIRC).

--
Today is Boomtime, the 17th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

One thing I don't like about wireless push-buttons is that they merely
trigger the sounder to give its standard response. Wired bells gave you some
indication of how desperate the caller was, by length and spacing of rings.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Graham laid this down on his screen :
New neighbours have put in a request for me to do the same for them, and
their house is significantly larger than mine. But Byron have been bought
over and the SX15 battery wireless door BELL is no longer available.

Anyone know of particularly loud wireless chimes or a wireless bell?

Friedland offer a very good, very reliable wireless chimes system. It
has longer range, 100m outdoors and more than one chimes unit can be
added to it. It is very loud and there are a few tunes to choose from.
Some have a bright flashing light, useful for the deaf or were you want
to be sure it has been triggered. Unlike some, I have never known them
be false triggered.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 20:11:57 -0000, Terry Casey
wrote:

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
Make your own!

I did it when I was about 9 by just folowing some simple
instructions - try the local junior library (if they have
any 'proper' books anymore).

A wireless one? Not bad for a 9 year old.

Ah - overloooked that the wireless requirement is a must.

I think I might have had a bit of trouble getting octal
valves into the bell push ...

Indeed, but there were some very small valves available to the public
in the early 1950's before transistors came along later in the decade.
I remember acorn valves, but there was also a little triode about 3 cm
long and the thickness of a pencil, IIRC. May have been gas-filled.
Both types were used in radio controlled model aircraft.
http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-151.htm

Also Nuvistors -
http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-150.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
Ah - overloooked that the wireless requirement is a must.

I think I might have had a bit of trouble getting octal valves into
the bell push ...

Indeed, but there were some very small valves available to the public in
the early 1950's before transistors came along later in the decade. I
remember acorn valves, but there was also a little triode about 3 cm
long and the thickness of a pencil, IIRC. May have been gas-filled. Both
types were used in radio controlled model aircraft.
http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-151.htm

The real problem with valves was the power supply for the portable bit.
Like the bell push in this instance.

I'm old enough to just remember valve radio mics. But can't remember what
batteries they used.

--
*After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 11:35:42 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
Ah - overloooked that the wireless requirement is a must.

I think I might have had a bit of trouble getting octal valves into
the bell push ...

Indeed, but there were some very small valves available to the public
in the early 1950's before transistors came along later in the decade.
I remember acorn valves, but there was also a little triode about 3 cm
long and the thickness of a pencil, IIRC. May have been gas-filled.
Both types were used in radio controlled model aircraft.
http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-151.htm

The real problem with valves was the power supply for the portable bit.
Like the bell push in this instance.

I'm old enough to just remember valve radio mics. But can't remember
what batteries they used.

Probably used the B7G 'battery' valves (e.g. DF96). 1.4v filament and 90v
anode.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
Ah - overloooked that the wireless requirement is a must.

I think I might have had a bit of trouble getting octal valves into
the bell push ...

Indeed, but there were some very small valves available to the public
in the early 1950's before transistors came along later in the decade.
I remember acorn valves, but there was also a little triode about 3 cm
long and the thickness of a pencil, IIRC. May have been gas-filled.
Both types were used in radio controlled model aircraft.
http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-151.htm

The real problem with valves was the power supply for the portable bit.
Like the bell push in this instance.

I'm old enough to just remember valve radio mics. But can't remember
what batteries they used.

Probably used the B7G 'battery' valves (e.g. DF96). 1.4v filament and 90v
anode.

Or even the car radio ones which used 12 volt 'HT' as well as 12 volt
filaments.

--
Chris Green
·

door bell - ot Frank[_13_] Home Repair 3 August 26th 11 08:19 AM
110 to door bell? Sonny[_3_] Home Repair 22 September 27th 10 06:01 PM
door bell Janice UK diy 14 April 9th 09 09:20 PM
Door bell Terry Home Repair 10 August 23rd 07 04:06 PM
Wirefree bell push to wired bell Duncan UK diy 5 June 4th 06 09:14 PM