Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Uncharicteriistically w quiet on this group

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
When I lost connection to newgroups a few months ago I contacted Plusnet
and had to explain what a newsgroup is to the helpline tec. His first
reaction was that they no longer exist!

BT removed their free new server some time ago.

Lots of ISPs have dropped support. Many others like plusnet just
outsource to giganews now.

This list used to be full:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ps#ISP_Servers

Looking a bit sad now...

I note that news.btinternet.com still points at giganews though, so not
sure what the deal with BT is.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
When I lost connection to newgroups a few months ago I contacted Plusnet
and had to explain what a newsgroup is to the helpline tec. His first
reaction was that they no longer exist!

BT removed their free new server some time ago.

Lots of ISPs have dropped support. Many others like plusnet just
outsource to giganews now.

This list used to be full:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ps#ISP_Servers

Looking a bit sad now...

I note that news.btinternet.com still points at giganews though, so not
sure what the deal with BT is.

I was told I'd have to pay for it. So use Eternal September and AIOE now -
both free.

--
*I dropped out of communism class because of lousy Marx.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

So use Eternal September and AIOE now - both free.

ES suffers occasional hiccups, but it feels ungrateful if you complain
too much about a free service, eieio has a bit of a reputation for
nymshifting trolls, so I fork out the grand sum of ‚¬10/year for NIN.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 January 2017 07:47:00 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Could it be that people have abandoned Usenet just like the dragon in Puff.
I still think that is a drug song...
Brian

I think DIY is falling out of favour.
Today's young have the expectation of not getting their hands dirty.
They think a "Proper" job is sat in front of a computer screen.

When do you see youngsters working to do an old house/car up?
In times gone by, most people worked in some sort of manufacturing job and were used to using tools.

Plus a lot of stuff made these days can't be repaired/worked on. (Or at least that's the intention).

I bet there's few on this group less than fifty years old.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

So use Eternal September and AIOE now - both free.

ES suffers occasional hiccups, but it feels ungrateful if you complain
too much about a free service, eieio has a bit of a reputation for
nymshifting trolls, so I fork out the grand sum of ¤10/year for NIN.

It's why I use them both on this ancient Acorn computer. The news fetcher
visits both - but doesn't download duplicates. So if one is down, the
other still (usually) works. Used both initially to get all the groups I
read - neither carries them all.

I assume something like Thunderbird could do the same?

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The news fetcher visits both - but doesn't download duplicates. So if
one is down, the other still (usually) works. Used both initially to
get all the groups I read - neither carries them all.

I assume something like Thunderbird could do the same?

Not by itself, it treats the same group of different servers separately,
it even treats different groups on the same server entirely separately
and doesn't recognise cross-posts as the same messages, but as separate
threads.

Maybe using an intermediate proxy like leafnode could manage it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 01:52:15 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

On Thursday, 5 January 2017 07:47:00 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Could it be that people have abandoned Usenet just like the dragon in Puff.
I still think that is a drug song...
Brian

I think DIY is falling out of favour.

So why so many posts on here? It didn't use to be such a busy group.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The news fetcher visits both - but doesn't download duplicates. So if
one is down, the other still (usually) works. Used both initially to
get all the groups I read - neither carries them all.

I assume something like Thunderbird could do the same?

Not by itself, it treats the same group of different servers separately,
it even treats different groups on the same server entirely separately
and doesn't recognise cross-posts as the same messages, but as separate
threads.

Maybe using an intermediate proxy like leafnode could manage it.

Right. Explains why I still use this ancient computer for things like
news. ;-)

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mechanic wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 01:52:15 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

On Thursday, 5 January 2017 07:47:00 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Could it be that people have abandoned Usenet just like the dragon in
Puff. I still think that is a drug song...
Brian

I think DIY is falling out of favour.

So why so many posts on here? It didn't use to be such a busy group.

Because most have absolutely nothing to do with DIY. Last time I counted,
less than 20% were actually about DIY or related topics.

--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2017 09:52, harry wrote:

I bet there's few on this group less than fifty years old.

fx:waves

(only just mind ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2017 12:31, mechanic wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 01:52:15 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

On Thursday, 5 January 2017 07:47:00 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Could it be that people have abandoned Usenet just like the dragon in Puff.
I still think that is a drug song...
Brian

I think DIY is falling out of favour.

So why so many posts on here? It didn't use to be such a busy group.

Its always been pretty busy - was peaking at 15k posts a month at one
point. Google don't seem to track posters history as closely as they
once did so finding stats are harder now, but most of the long time
regulars here will have racked up more than 40K posts each by now.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Thursday, 5 January 2017 07:47:00 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Could it be that people have abandoned Usenet just like the dragon in
Puff.
I still think that is a drug song...
Brian

I think DIY is falling out of favour.
Today's young have the expectation of not getting their hands dirty.
They think a "Proper" job is sat in front of a computer screen.

When do you see youngsters working to do an old house/car up?

Thats because they can't afford to buy an old house much anymore
and because cars need so much less work done on them now.

I used to do everything that needed doing on the car but with the
latest, now 10 years old, nothing ever broke and it only needs an
oil change now.

In times gone by, most people worked in some sort of manufacturing job

That was never true.

and were used to using tools.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Plus a lot of stuff made these days can't be repaired/worked on.

Cars and houses still can.

(Or at least that's the intention).

I bet there's few on this group less than fifty years old.

Just as true of any other usenet group. Nothing to do with
why you dont see as much DIY being done as you used to.