Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why does central heating fail at Christmas?

OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory
piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 24/12/2016 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Something I only found out myself a few years ago!

Merry Christmas

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 11:40:22 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory
piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Is it a successor to the millennium bug?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2016 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Why do TV's and washing machines fail 5 days after the extended
warranty has expired. ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 24/12/2016 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory
piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Why do TV's and washing machines fail 5 days after the extended
warranty has expired. ?.

precision manufacture?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 13:26:57 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

On 24/12/2016 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Why do TV's and washing machines fail 5 days after the extended
warranty has expired. ?.

I was given a hairdryer for my 21st birthday and it lasted 35 years.
Does this meet the durability test?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory
piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Another thing worth knowing, is that you don't need to pay £30 for the
genuine synchron motor, the pattern ones are fine, and cost less than
£10.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

I was given a hairdryer for my 21st birthday and it lasted 35 years.
Does this meet the durability test?

I was given a hairdryer

a hairdryer

hairdryer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 24/12/2016 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Why do TV's and washing machines fail 5 days after the extended
warranty has expired. ?.

I was given a hairdryer for my 21st birthday and it lasted 35 years.
Does this meet the durability test?

I think if I had been given one for my 21st it would last pretty much
indefinitely, or at least until it rotted away. ;-)

Didn't know men were actually allowed to use them...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 24/12/2016 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Why do TV's and washing machines fail 5 days after the extended
warranty has expired. ?.

I was given a hairdryer for my 21st birthday and it lasted 35 years.
Does this meet the durability test?

I think if I had been given one for my 21st it would last pretty much
indefinitely, or at least until it rotted away. ;-)

Didn't know men were actually allowed to use them...

Very fashion conscious at my uni - ahead of our time, in fact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 24/12/2016 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Why do TV's and washing machines fail 5 days after the extended
warranty has expired. ?.

I was given a hairdryer for my 21st birthday and it lasted 35 years.
Does this meet the durability test?

Are you bald?

Not for the full duration though!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/16 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Because it's a *******...

I'm running our bungalow on electric oil filled rads and a 10kW (ish)
instant water heater plumbed in.

When I get CH fitted next year, I'm keeping the electric water heater,
on valves, with valves to isolated the boiler.

Filling a bath in 30 minutes at 2-3 times the cost of gas is better than
nothing at all

The oil rads will be popped in the attic too, or deployed in a shed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 December 2016 15:22:39 UTC, Scott wrote:
I was given a hairdryer for my 21st birthday and it lasted 35 years.

Very fashion conscious at my uni - ahead of our time, in fact.

Hair dryers were very useful for students in halls where fan heaters weren't allowed.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 December 2016 14:54:37 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
Didn't know men were actually allowed to use them...

They're very useful for heat-shrink sleeving and softening butter straight from the fridge (in the days before microwaves)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/16 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory
piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Our 3-port valve didn't know what the date was - it had to be replaced
at the end of September!

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 24/12/2016 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Why do TV's and washing machines fail 5 days after the extended
warranty has expired. ?.

I was given a hairdryer for my 21st birthday and it lasted 35 years.
Does this meet the durability test?

You still have hair at age 56 ?. This is the mark of
durability.

Or was this football 'hairdryer' ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

On 24/12/2016 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Why do TV's and washing machines fail 5 days after the extended
warranty has expired. ?.

I was given a hairdryer for my 21st birthday and it lasted 35 years.
Does this meet the durability test?

A photo of me doing some work

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CIMG5886.JPG

any hairdresser would only charge me a search fee.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 24/12/2016 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory
piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Why do TV's and washing machines fail 5 days after the extended
warranty has expired. ?.

I was given a hairdryer for my 21st birthday and it lasted 35 years.
Does this meet the durability test?

A photo of me doing some work

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CIMG5886.JPG

any hairdresser would only charge me a search fee.

You're using a level. That's not allowed for a pro. You're supposed to
place them randomly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 24/12/2016 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory
piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Why do TV's and washing machines fail 5 days after the extended
warranty has expired. ?.

I was given a hairdryer for my 21st birthday and it lasted 35 years.
Does this meet the durability test?

A photo of me doing some work

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CIMG5886.JPG

Why is english brick work so utterly obscene ?

any hairdresser would only charge me a search fee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2016-12-24, ARW wrote:

[22 lines snipped]

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CIMG5886.JPG

Did you know you were about to be shot in the back?

On offer at the moment

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-se...er-level/50507

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 14:00:54 +0000, Scott
wrote:

I was given a hairdryer for my 21st birthday and it lasted 35 years.
Does this meet the durability test?

Depends, by 21 my mate was already going bald so any hairdryer would
have had an easy life, unlike one I purchased around that age when it
had a short life being abused to dry things like wet jeans and finally
met its end after I forgot it was stuck down a wet wellie and it
melted.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-24, ARW wrote:

[22 lines snipped]

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CIMG5886.JPG

Did you know you were about to be shot in the back?

On offer at the moment

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-se...er-level/50507

I've got that one and it's pretty good. Usable outside after dusk over
about 20m too. Has a standard camera tripod thread but no useful
supplied clamp (the supplied clamp is crap) so worth looking around for
CCTV/camera clamps or a floor-ceiling pole (I have one from a previous
laser that works with this).

I'm waiting for green line lasers to get cheap and make it into these
tools... I expect it will happen at some point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 December 2016 22:26:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Why is english brick work so utterly obscene ?

Hopefully it's going to get covered in nice plaster which'll hold all the wobbly bits together.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/12/2016 10:04, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm waiting for green line lasers to get cheap and make it into these
tools... I expect it will happen at some point.

I have never seen a green laser level in use and I have worked at a lot
of sites.

A quick google search says that green laser is more visible to the human
eye.

I'll expect that the ceiling guys will be the first to use it.

Merry Christmas.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 25/12/2016 10:04, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm waiting for green line lasers to get cheap and make it into these
tools... I expect it will happen at some point.

I have never seen a green laser level in use and I have worked at a lot
of sites.

A quick google search says that green laser is more visible to the human
eye.

I'll expect that the ceiling guys will be the first to use it.

Merry Christmas.

what's wrong with red ones?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Saturday, 24 December 2016 22:26:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Why is english brick work so utterly obscene ?

Hopefully it's going to get covered in nice
plaster which'll hold all the wobbly bits together.

Most of the external brickwork isnt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/12/2016 10:47, charles wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 25/12/2016 10:04, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm waiting for green line lasers to get cheap and make it into these
tools... I expect it will happen at some point.

I have never seen a green laser level in use and I have worked at a lot
of sites.

A quick google search says that green laser is more visible to the human
eye.

I'll expect that the ceiling guys will be the first to use it.

Merry Christmas.

what's wrong with red ones?

Nothing

What's green and eats nuts?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/16 10:46, ARW wrote:
On 25/12/2016 10:04, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm waiting for green line lasers to get cheap and make it into these
tools... I expect it will happen at some point.

I have never seen a green laser level in use and I have worked at a lot
of sites.

A quick google search says that green laser is more visible to the human
eye.

That's the theory - supposed to be usable outside in normal light.

I'll expect that the ceiling guys will be the first to use it.

Yes - although the last building site I was on, they ceiling fitters
were using a rotating red dot laser - so they have not even made it
quite that far.

Merry Christmas.

You too matey! No cooking for me today for a change, I fecked up the
Xmas online order so rather than go through the hell that is Sainsburys
on the 23rd/24th , we're going to a local restaurant for Xmas lunch at
3pm

Fridge is full of M&S clearout party food from the industrial estate
branch (not very busy unlike town) so that's the next couple of days
sorted too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/16 10:47, charles wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 25/12/2016 10:04, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm waiting for green line lasers to get cheap and make it into these
tools... I expect it will happen at some point.

I have never seen a green laser level in use and I have worked at a lot
of sites.

A quick google search says that green laser is more visible to the human
eye.

I'll expect that the ceiling guys will be the first to use it.

Merry Christmas.

what's wrong with red ones?

You can't see them in daylight outside...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 December 2016 11:06:35 UTC, ARW wrote:
What's green and eats nuts?

Syphilis.

What's yellow and green and eats nuts?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
On 25/12/2016 10:04, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm waiting for green line lasers to get cheap and make it into these
tools... I expect it will happen at some point.

I have never seen a green laser level in use and I have worked at a lot
of sites.

A quick google search says that green laser is more visible to the human
eye.

I'll expect that the ceiling guys will be the first to use it.

Merry Christmas.

what's wrong with red ones?

You can't see them in daylight outside...

In full sunlight perhaps, but I've used them out of door in the day time

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
ARW wrote:
On 25/12/2016 10:04, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm waiting for green line lasers to get cheap and make it into these
tools... I expect it will happen at some point.

I have never seen a green laser level in use and I have worked at a lot
of sites.

A quick google search says that green laser is more visible to the human
eye.

I'll expect that the ceiling guys will be the first to use it.

Merry Christmas.

what's wrong with red ones?

You can't see them in daylight outside...

You can if the target is white.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 December 2016 11:34:59 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
what's wrong with red ones?

You can't see them in daylight outside...

You can if the target is white.

Not much use for the police then.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/16 18:08, pamela wrote:
You can't see them in daylight outside...

You can if the target is white.

The beam itself is supposed to be more visible with a green laser.
I think astronomers prefer to use green as a star pointer.

I cant handle this racism....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
On 16:49 26 Dec 2016, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 26/12/16 18:08, pamela wrote:
You can't see them in daylight outside...
You can if the target is white.

The beam itself is supposed to be more visible with a green laser.
I think astronomers prefer to use green as a star pointer.

I cant handle this racism....

White people is one thing but green people??? :-)

Treens ruled by the Mekon, of course.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 December 2016 13:27:04 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 24/12/2016 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3
port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20
years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R.
Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Why do TV's and washing machines fail 5 days after the extended
warranty has expired. ?.

That's easily solved, don't get one with a warranty.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-24, charles wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 24/12/2016 11:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory
piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and
3 port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the
last 20 years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one
from the R. Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Why do TV's and washing machines fail 5 days after the extended
warranty has expired. ?.

precision manufacture?

And in these days of software controllers, easy enough to do.

I suspect even the more recent CFLs incorporate an hours counter
(especially likely to be true when the warranty quotes 6000 hours 'based
on 2.7 hours per day' for a 6 year warranty period) which deliberately
blows the internal safety fuse once it's clocked the requisite hours[1]
deemed to be the classic for fluorescent lamp technology 80% of 'design
lumens' EoL point[2].

Although this might seem to be an imposition on the consumer to buy yet
another 'light bulb' to keep the 'light bulb' industry in business (and
it is), I don't have any problem with this particular usage example since
it forces the end user to operate their lamps at the best TCO level in
terms of per lumen production and replacement costs.

[1] A 30W CFL in our hallway failed with no prior symptoms of ageing
after, by my reckoning, some 6022 hours had elapsed. That estimated
service time was just too suspiciously close to the 6000 hours (6
years/2.7hours a day warranty figure) for me not to suspect the use of a
life limiting counter being incorporated into the lamp's design.

Of course, I'd only fitted the lamp about 18 months prior to it failing
but a high efficiency lamp used for lighting a hallway[3] is going to be
left on between dusk and the wee small hours of the morning every day of
the year in our case so will certainly clock up 6000 hours a damn sight
quicker than the 6 year/2.7 hours a day warranty implies.

[2] For the even more 'classic' linear 4 and 5 foot tubes, the hours
ratings have crept up over the decades from a mere 7000 hours to around
the 16000 hours mark before the design lumens output falls to 80% (a
brand new tube, btw, starts off at around 120% of its design lumens
output, swiftly dropping to design lumens output after only a few hundred
hours of service have elapsed).

[3] When CFLs first became available at a barely affordable 5 to 7 quid a
lamp some two decades ago, the obvious, "No Brainer" useage was hall and
stairway lighting where you'd prefer the lights to be left on for the
whole duration of the evening simply for safety's sake regardless of
operating costs.

Later on, as these lamps became even more affordable, they'd be fitted
in rooms where they'd be more likely to be switched on only when
occupied, starting with the living and the kitchen and/or dining rooms
before considering other rooms in the house with lower occupancy rates
that had previously not warranted the use of high efficiency lamps due to
the much lower ROI benefit to be gained in these locations.

--
Johnny B Good