Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A Public Liability (pictures)

I didn't capture what happened between DSCF7217 & DSCF7218 but we all
heard the crash. The two guys were perched up there when it happened
and seemed to continue as if nothing had happened.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/4RR2U8
The property owners don't seem to be home. It's getting dark and they
are cementing the bricks back. Oh wait they've got some tiles.

I'll keep you posted.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/16 16:10, Graham. wrote:
I didn't capture what happened between DSCF7217 & DSCF7218 but we all
heard the crash. The two guys were perched up there when it happened
and seemed to continue as if nothing had happened.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/4RR2U8
The property owners don't seem to be home. It's getting dark and they
are cementing the bricks back. Oh wait they've got some tiles.

I'll keep you posted.

That's a rancid knackered stack! I do not know why they ar epatching it
up - it wants taking off and rebuilding from scratch...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 16:15:27 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 04/12/16 16:10, Graham. wrote:
I didn't capture what happened between DSCF7217 & DSCF7218 but we all
heard the crash. The two guys were perched up there when it happened
and seemed to continue as if nothing had happened.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/4RR2U8
The property owners don't seem to be home. It's getting dark and they
are cementing the bricks back. Oh wait they've got some tiles.

I'll keep you posted.

That's a rancid knackered stack! I do not know why they ar epatching it
up - it wants taking off and rebuilding from scratch...

It's 1639, Manchester and little more than a crescent moon to see by.
They are still up there, presumably trying to make good the damage
before the owner returns.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/12/16 16:10, Graham. wrote:
I didn't capture what happened between DSCF7217 & DSCF7218 but we all
heard the crash. The two guys were perched up there when it happened
and seemed to continue as if nothing had happened.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/4RR2U8
The property owners don't seem to be home. It's getting dark and they
are cementing the bricks back. Oh wait they've got some tiles.

I'll keep you posted.

That's a rancid knackered stack! I do not know why they ar epatching it
up - it wants taking off and rebuilding from scratch...

It's 1639, Manchester and little more than a crescent moon to see by.
They are still up there, presumably trying to make good the damage
before the owner returns.

Judging by some roofing work I had done recently, a good few days making
those tiles good. And that's assuming they know what they're doing . . .

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2016 16:10, Graham. wrote:
I didn't capture what happened between DSCF7217 & DSCF7218 but we all
heard the crash. The two guys were perched up there when it happened
and seemed to continue as if nothing had happened.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/4RR2U8
The property owners don't seem to be home. It's getting dark and they
are cementing the bricks back. Oh wait they've got some tiles.

I'll keep you posted.

Did they arrive with a drop side transit with a horse head picture on
the door?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2016 16:10, Graham. wrote:
I didn't capture what happened between DSCF7217 & DSCF7218 but we all
heard the crash. The two guys were perched up there when it happened
and seemed to continue as if nothing had happened.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/4RR2U8
The property owners don't seem to be home. It's getting dark and they
are cementing the bricks back. Oh wait they've got some tiles.

I'll keep you posted.

Very badly equipped. A terrible roof to work on. An accident waiting to
happen.

Next door's wall-mounted MBM46 aerial is interesting.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 17:17:27 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Very badly equipped. A terrible roof to work on. An accident waiting to
happen.

Next door's wall-mounted MBM46 aerial is interesting.

Bill

Which direction out of the 3 the aerials are pointing to do you think
is correct one ?

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/12/2016 16:10, Graham. wrote:
I didn't capture what happened between DSCF7217 & DSCF7218 but we all
heard the crash. The two guys were perched up there when it happened
and seemed to continue as if nothing had happened.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/4RR2U8
The property owners don't seem to be home. It's getting dark and they
are cementing the bricks back. Oh wait they've got some tiles.

I'll keep you posted.

Very badly equipped. A terrible roof to work on. An accident waiting to
happen.

Next door's wall-mounted MBM46 aerial is interesting.

Bill

I think that one is on M-y-P and the odd one out on the stack is on
SC.

Funnily enough it turned out that the guy who had them put up, when I
moved here in 1976, was a colleague of mine at Granada Rentals. I
can't remember anything about him now.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/12/16 16:10, Graham. wrote:
I didn't capture what happened between DSCF7217 & DSCF7218 but we all
heard the crash. The two guys were perched up there when it happened
and seemed to continue as if nothing had happened.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/4RR2U8
The property owners don't seem to be home. It's getting dark and they
are cementing the bricks back. Oh wait they've got some tiles.

I'll keep you posted.

That's a rancid knackered stack! I do not know why they ar epatching it
up - it wants taking off and rebuilding from scratch...

It's 1639, Manchester and little more than a crescent moon to see by.
They are still up there, presumably trying to make good the damage
before the owner returns.

I'm sure it will look super when the sun comes out - all the bricks
nicely true, properly spaced, and no cement on the brick faces... ;-)

Please do take a close-up tomorrow morning...

I'm sure it must be too cold for mortaring up there anyway, so it will
break apart really easily, ready to be redone.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Graham.
escribió:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/4RR2U8

Bloody hell. Made an already dodgy roof worse.

Was that little dip in the tiles in the first pic there before they
started?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 December 2016 16:10:32 UTC, Graham. wrote:
I didn't capture what happened between DSCF7217 & DSCF7218 but we all
heard the crash. The two guys were perched up there when it happened
and seemed to continue as if nothing had happened.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/4RR2U8
The property owners don't seem to be home. It's getting dark and they
are cementing the bricks back. Oh wait they've got some tiles.

I'll keep you posted.

Well, lucky there's no rain forecast for a few days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 04/12/2016 16:10, Graham. wrote:
I didn't capture what happened between DSCF7217 & DSCF7218 but we all
heard the crash. The two guys were perched up there when it happened
and seemed to continue as if nothing had happened.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/4RR2U8
The property owners don't seem to be home. It's getting dark and they
are cementing the bricks back. Oh wait they've got some tiles.

I'll keep you posted.

Ta

I enjoyed that.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 03:49:39 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , Graham.
escribió:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/4RR2U8

Bloody hell. Made an already dodgy roof worse.

Was that little dip in the tiles in the first pic there before they
started?

I guess so, all they had done at that point was erect the ladders.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/12/16 16:10, Graham. wrote:
I didn't capture what happened between DSCF7217 & DSCF7218 but we all
heard the crash. The two guys were perched up there when it happened
and seemed to continue as if nothing had happened.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/4RR2U8
The property owners don't seem to be home. It's getting dark and they
are cementing the bricks back. Oh wait they've got some tiles.

I'll keep you posted.

That's a rancid knackered stack! I do not know why they ar epatching it
up - it wants taking off and rebuilding from scratch...

It's 1639, Manchester and little more than a crescent moon to see by.
They are still up there, presumably trying to make good the damage
before the owner returns.

Judging by some roofing work I had done recently, a good few days making
those tiles good. And that's assuming they know what they're doing . . .

Yikes! Makes me shiver to see how they work. The same way I did. I hated
those f***in Rosemary tiles. They can look quite strong from above but
the damage occurs on the underside. Sometimes to the extent that a
finger could be pushed through the top surface to find the body of the
tile none existent.

I have dealt with bad stacks but I would have walked away from that.

....Ray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

last night and today's added to same album.

I think they've missed a sales opportunity there, to smear mortar over
the neighbour's crumbling bricks as well ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Graham.
escribió:

I guess so, all they had done at that point was erect the ladders.

Ta.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/12/16 16:10, Graham. wrote:
[...]

Here is a closeup I took in 2014
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/7yd0t3

What would be the recommended way of taking it down?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

Here is a closeup I took in 2014
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/7yd0t3

What would be the recommended way of taking it down?

Huffing and puffing should suffice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/12/16 16:10, Graham. wrote:
[...]

Start with some professional scaffolding, netting and a skip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/12/16 16:10, Graham. wrote:
[...]

As costly as it would be, for the best of reasons, it should have a
good stage all around it. That would certainly put a lump on the cost.

As I said, I have played this game and trying to remove any one thing
from the stack would cause something else to move. Very dangerous. I was
a re-roofer/builder and, I would only take on this type of job as part
of the whole.

I have stripped a roof back to find that such a stack as this had the
stack removed from below. Nothing supporting it other than the party wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/12/16 16:10, Graham. wrote:
[...]

I would remove it brick at a time and drop them down the chimney.
Wife at the bottom with a plastic bucket takes them outside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2016 14:00, Graham. wrote:

What would be the recommended way of taking it down?

Took mine down on previous house by putting skip close to house and
threw bricks direct into skip.
Noisy - but none missed.

That stack needs replacing ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Graham. wrote:

Here is a closeup I took in 2014
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/7yd0t3

What would be the recommended way of taking it down?

Huffing and puffing should suffice.

:-D
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/12/16 16:10, Graham. wrote:
[...]

Brick by brick with a runway to slide the bricks down
one at a time with sides so the brick cant come off it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/12/16 16:10, Graham. wrote:
I didn't capture what happened between DSCF7217 & DSCF7218 but
we all heard the crash. The two guys were perched up there
when it happened and seemed to continue as if nothing had
happened. https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/4RR2U8 The property
owners don't seem to be home. It's getting dark and they are
cementing the bricks back. Oh wait they've got some tiles.

I'll keep you posted.

That's a rancid knackered stack! I do not know why they ar
epatching it up - it wants taking off and rebuilding from
scratch...

It's 1639, Manchester and little more than a crescent moon to
see by. They are still up there, presumably trying to make good
the damage before the owner returns.

I imagine there will be plenty more interesting photos before it
gets sorted out. It almost calls for a web cam. :-)

last night and today's added to same album.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/b63096
The dark ones were taken at 4:30, in reality it was almost totally
dark. Check out the EXIF.

Great series of pictures, the little detail I love is the aerolelastic
securing the ladder to the window frame, they obviously take health and
safety very seriously.

Have you contacted the council about this, they have inspectors for jobs
like this and would probably take enforcement action so the job was done
properly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , RayL12
scribeth thus
wrote:

On 04/12/16 16:10, Graham. wrote:
[...]

Surly that was a scaffold job and remove and rebuild stack?..

Those pots with the "H" arrangement on top must weigh a ton!
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 17:18:31 UTC, rick wrote:
On 06/12/2016 14:00, Graham. wrote:

What would be the recommended way of taking it down?

Took mine down on previous house by putting skip close to house and
threw bricks direct into skip.
Noisy - but none missed.

That stack needs replacing ....

I did try that once.
You only have to miss once and you smash a slate/tile.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2016 08:33, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 17:18:31 UTC, rick wrote:
On 06/12/2016 14:00, Graham. wrote:

What would be the recommended way of taking it down?

Took mine down on previous house by putting skip close to house and
threw bricks direct into skip.
Noisy - but none missed.

That stack needs replacing ....

I did try that once.
You only have to miss once and you smash a slate/tile.

Once it is scaffolded the bricks can be lowered in buckets or dropped
down one of those snakey chute things. IME dropping them down the
chimney causes more problems than it solves, they jam or crack plaster
showing up even more weaknesses you have to fix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2016 8:09 PM, jim wrote:
Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Graham. wrote:

Here is a closeup I took in 2014
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/7yd0t3

What would be the recommended way of taking it down?

Huffing and puffing should suffice.

:-D

LOL Yeah. This type of work was very nerve wrecking and, in hindsight,
totally stupid. The stack should be rebuilt and the safety of all
concerned should be upper mount.

Had this been the late 70's, you may well have contracted a company
who will rebuild it with new brick for a very good price. And what they
would actually do is decorate it with the then new brick print wallpaper.

....Ray
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/12/16 16:10, Graham. wrote:
[...]

Bricks down the flue were the norm if the house is being ripped out.

When I worked for a company in my early days, I was phoned up by my
boss and co worker at 18:00 ish.

He was in a mess. He said he has been phoned by the female owner of the
house we stripped and re-slated that day. H e wanted me to go with him
while they discuss the disaster that had occurred.

It seems that, as we hammered through out the day, we had dislodged
the soot in a small stack on the gable wall. Below was an open fireplace.

Entering the living room was surreal. In spite of 2 ceiling lights
being on, everything was black except the people. Outlines of things
were invisible. It was an absolute weird setting. When eventually, a
piece of furniture was pushed aside, the colour of the carpet below was
almost blinding in contrast.

Our lad was a good soul and he had some friends in business who took
care of the cleaning. I believe everyone was happy.

Where do you put the blame?

We did a complete up and over re-strip in 6 hours. Cash in hand. He
wasn't too worried about the money. Just that everything would be as it was.

....Ray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2016 10:23 PM, tony sayer wrote:
In article , RayL12
scribeth thus
wrote:

On 04/12/16 16:10, Graham. wrote:
[...]

Yeah. Clumsy more than anything. I was more thankful that a could do
it on a stripped roof with the new felt and lathes laid. Made getting on
the ladder a lot easier. Rarely I did them in isolation. I consider
myself very fortunate, in my 16 years, that a did not cause damage or
harm. It was the 80,s 90,s. Very rare you saw a scaffold on a domestic
job. Only once was I approached by H&S and, as you could then, I told
her to go away.

....Ray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2016 23:00, RayL12 wrote:

It was the 80,s 90,s. Very rare you saw a scaffold on a domestic
job. Only once was I approached by H&S and, as you could then, I told
her to go away.

When I had my stack done in the late 80s scaffolding was erected but
when the brickies turned up they refused to go up until the scaffold
company returned to put in an extra stage of diagonal poles. I went up
to look at the stack before it was removed/rebuilt and it was a lot
worse condition than could be seen from the ground - the only thing
holding it together above the roof line was gravity and the aerial cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , alan_m
scribeth thus
On 09/12/2016 23:00, RayL12 wrote:

It was the 80,s 90,s. Very rare you saw a scaffold on a domestic
job. Only once was I approached by H&S and, as you could then, I told
her to go away.

When I had my stack done in the late 80s scaffolding was erected but
when the brickies turned up they refused to go up until the scaffold
company returned to put in an extra stage of diagonal poles. I went up
to look at the stack before it was removed/rebuilt and it was a lot
worse condition than could be seen from the ground - the only thing
holding it together above the roof line was gravity

and the aerial cable.

I expect Bill Wright could tell a tale or many on that!

When i were a lad i had sometimes to assist the aerial rigger and once
we were removing an old aerial, cut the wire and most of the stack
collapsed and started off on a journey down the steep slate roof taking
a few slates and then dumping itself over a rather nice convertible car
that was right in line;!

The insurance company coughed, tho it wasn't deemed our fault!

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 12:29 AM, alan_m wrote:
On 09/12/2016 23:00, RayL12 wrote:

It was the 80,s 90,s. Very rare you saw a scaffold on a domestic
job. Only once was I approached by H&S and, as you could then, I told
her to go away.

When I had my stack done in the late 80s scaffolding was erected but
when the brickies turned up they refused to go up until the scaffold
company returned to put in an extra stage of diagonal poles. I went up
to look at the stack before it was removed/rebuilt and it was a lot
worse condition than could be seen from the ground - the only thing
holding it together above the roof line was gravity and the aerial cable.

Yeah, that could often be the case, Alan. All delicately balanced. I
have seen the remains of a collapsed stack; ..in the cellar.

....Ray
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , RayL12
escribió:

Yeah, that could often be the case, Alan. All delicately balanced. I
have seen the remains of a collapsed stack; ..in the cellar.

Capping chimneys became popular when open fires went out of vogue. Most
builders just dumped the detritus down the chimney.

--
(\_/)