Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connecting LED Lighting Tape

Thanks to answers here I now have bought the transformer and lighting tape.
The transformer has a two wire 240v input as you'd expect - two tails
What's the preferred way to connect a new mains cable to these two tails,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/16 19:35, Fred Bloggs wrote:
Thanks to answers here I now have bought the transformer and lighting tape.
The transformer has a two wire 240v input as you'd expect - two tails
What's the preferred way to connect a new mains cable to these two tails,

If its a fixed installation a junction box of some sort

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2016 19:35, Fred Bloggs wrote:
Thanks to answers here I now have bought the transformer and lighting tape.
The transformer has a two wire 240v input as you'd expect - two tails
What's the preferred way to connect a new mains cable to these two tails,

Depends what you are after... if you want a longer "tail", then flex,
crimps and heatshrink. For direct connection to fixed wiring, then a
junction box, or other enclosure with suitable terminals in it (wago[1],
crimp, chock block etc)

[1] Since the tails are usually flex rather than solid core, the leaver
action wagos would be better.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 20:42:36 +0000, John Rumm
On 30/11/2016 19:35, Fred Bloggs wrote:
Thanks to answers here I now have bought the transformer and lighting tape.
The transformer has a two wire 240v input as you'd expect - two tails
What's the preferred way to connect a new mains cable to these two tails,

Depends what you are after... if you want a longer "tail", then flex,
crimps and heatshrink. For direct connection to fixed wiring, then a
junction box, or other enclosure with suitable terminals in it (wago[1],
crimp, chock block etc)

[1] Since the tails are usually flex rather than solid core, the leaver
action wagos would be better.

Would a WAGOBOX Light Junction Box be acceptable?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/16 19:35, Fred Bloggs wrote:
Thanks to answers here I now have bought the transformer and lighting tape.
The transformer has a two wire 240v input as you'd expect - two tails
What's the preferred way to connect a new mains cable to these two tails,

Are the tails single insulated or a sheathed flex?

If former, I don't know - I think I suggested to someone here with a
similar question to buy the RS PSUs that don't have that stupid arrangement.

Technically you'll have to contain all the wire in an enclosure - so if
it were me, I'd return it as not fit for purpose.

If it has a sheathed flex, then Wagos or terminal strip in an enclosure
is pukka and fine. Even something as simple as a surface box and
blanking plate with both cables clipped down as they enter (al la
central heating - you'll find a lot of this if you look near your tank
or pump)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/16 20:53, Fred Bloggs wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 20:42:36 +0000, John Rumm
On 30/11/2016 19:35, Fred Bloggs wrote:
Thanks to answers here I now have bought the transformer and lighting tape.
The transformer has a two wire 240v input as you'd expect - two tails
What's the preferred way to connect a new mains cable to these two tails,

Depends what you are after... if you want a longer "tail", then flex,
crimps and heatshrink. For direct connection to fixed wiring, then a
junction box, or other enclosure with suitable terminals in it (wago[1],
crimp, chock block etc)

[1] Since the tails are usually flex rather than solid core, the leaver
action wagos would be better.

Would a WAGOBOX Light Junction Box be acceptable?

Ashley terminal box would be very good:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ501.html

But ultimately any junction box with strain relief OR the flex and
cables being clipped near the entry points will be compliant and safe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 19:35:55 +0000, Fred Bloggs wrote:

Thanks to answers here I now have bought the transformer and lighting tape.
The transformer has a two wire 240v input as you'd expect - two tails
What's the preferred way to connect a new mains cable to these two tails,

Thanks all - Wagobox and wago levers ordered.