Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED lighting tape

I am looking for such to put under kitchen cupboards to provide down light.
I have looked on-line and there are loads of different sorts.
I just want basic white light (soft) - with a spacing of lights on the tape of
about 1 to 1.5 inches. Plus a transformer.
Any good experiences or suggestions please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/16 11:11, Fred Bloggs wrote:

I am looking for such to put under kitchen cupboards to provide down light.
I have looked on-line and there are loads of different sorts.
I just want basic white light (soft) - with a spacing of lights on the tape of
about 1 to 1.5 inches. Plus a transformer.
Any good experiences or suggestions please?

I've been testing 1m samples of these and their friends:

https://www.led-lighthouse.co.uk/led...waterproof-24v

That particular one is insanely bright and available in a number of
colour temperatures. Looks well made (the 24V version can be driven as a
single 10m length with a single ended feed).

I would use 24V by default (solves volt drop/cable length problems).

They do RGBW and adjustable colour temperature ones too.

Aluminium profiles are available to neaten it up.

Or save yourself some effort and use these (which I did for my kitchen
and shed respectively):

https://www.led-lighthouse.co.uk/led...waterproof-24v

Very very bright and easy to link.

In the shed I have (mains):

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...KBU/index.html

Also insanely bright.

For all the 24V ones I use this series of PSU:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/led-drivers/7972457/

(Various wattages available).

Reasons:

* RS sell it so it's probably not going "down in flames" crap.

* Over-everything protection.

* Proper shielded and strain relief cable terminations - no dodgy pair
of single insulated wires like some of the nasty PSUs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 13:13:27 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 23/11/16 11:11, Fred Bloggs wrote:

I am looking for such to put under kitchen cupboards to provide down light.
I have looked on-line and there are loads of different sorts.
I just want basic white light (soft) - with a spacing of lights on the tape of
about 1 to 1.5 inches. Plus a transformer.
Any good experiences or suggestions please?

I've been testing 1m samples of these and their friends:

snip

Excellent - many thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2016 11:11, Fred Bloggs wrote:

I am looking for such to put under kitchen cupboards to provide down light.
I have looked on-line and there are loads of different sorts.
I just want basic white light (soft) - with a spacing of lights on the tape of
about 1 to 1.5 inches. Plus a transformer.
Any good experiences or suggestions please?

Yup did it with a tape from LED hut. Very pleased with the results. They
do complete kits in various lengths with the PSU included - these are
often cheaper than just the tape on its own.

In my case I did not bother using the supplied PSU since it was a plug
in type. (I fitted an small LED driver into the adjacent cooker hood,
and powered it from its own light switch. That way when you turn on its
lights it also lights under the cupboards).

TLC also do a similar kit that is good (and again cheaper than the tape
on its own).

Here is an example of the non waterproof kit being used for under lighting:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...tCompleted.jpg

This one a waterproof kit used under the eves of a building to light the
surrounding area:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...rnalLights.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 18:28:14 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 23/11/2016 11:11, Fred Bloggs wrote:

I am looking for such to put under kitchen cupboards to provide down light.
I have looked on-line and there are loads of different sorts.
I just want basic white light (soft) - with a spacing of lights on the tape of
about 1 to 1.5 inches. Plus a transformer.
Any good experiences or suggestions please?

Yup did it with a tape from LED hut. Very pleased with the results. They
do complete kits in various lengths with the PSU included - these are
often cheaper than just the tape on its own.

snip good stuff

Excellent - many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/16 18:28, John Rumm wrote:

This one a waterproof kit used under the eves of a building to light the
surrounding area:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...rnalLights.jpg

Also worth mentioning that there are 2 types of waterproof tape:

Tape in a tube (old style)

Tape with a micro coating all over (you have to scrape the contacts with
a knife to remove this when making a connection). The link I posted is
definitely the latter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2016 21:42, Tim Watts wrote:
On 23/11/16 18:28, John Rumm wrote:

This one a waterproof kit used under the eves of a building to light the
surrounding area:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...rnalLights.jpg

Also worth mentioning that there are 2 types of waterproof tape:

Tape in a tube (old style)

Tape with a micro coating all over (you have to scrape the contacts with
a knife to remove this when making a connection). The link I posted is
definitely the latter.

The TLC waterproof one is like tape with a clear rubbery top - perfectly
smooth and finished in a radius so that in cross section the tape would
look a bit like a D

--
Cheers,

John.